Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 08:47 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
On some forums (often Relationship) people will bring out facts from other threads when they see that someone is blatantly lying or changing the facts, then ask for clarificationn. Threads are visible to everyone, so isn't really a "digging in the past".

In OP case it sounds like stalking and harassing, and should be reported.
I agree.

Oftentimes, reading a poster's past posts can add context to the situation - especially when it's an ongoing or repeated situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
And a positive - Is tracking someone always negative? I recognize names of people who share common thoughts and interests and always check to see what they have to say this morning.

Sometimes when I post my first posts of the day I'll see some of those people following me up. Perhaps it's by accident or grandiose for me to hope that they are keeping track of my conversations out of mutual interest. But I don't always have to respond to a sense of being followed online with defensiveness. It's my job to present myself honestly and with consistency if people are going to get to know the real me.

It doesn't have to be a frightening occurrence. Maybe it speaks to the sense of disconnectedness and vulnerability some of us carry these days. There are ways to deal with threatening online people to make the experience temporary.

It can be an opportunity for new connection.

We've come so far from the days of shared community on boards that I often read accusations of stalking which seem alarmist to me. The victim's advocacy world gave us the word and it's important to use it correctly or it becomes the "boy who cried 'Wolf.'"

Old 02-19-2021, 01:11 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And a positive - Is tracking someone always negative? I recognize names of people who share common thoughts and interests and always check to see what they have to say this morning.

Sometimes when I post my first posts of the day I'll see some of those people following me up. Perhaps it's by accident or grandiose for me to hope that they are keeping track of my conversations out of mutual interest. But I don't always have to respond to a sense of being followed online with defensiveness. It's my job to present myself honestly and with consistency if people are going to get to know the real me.

It doesn't have to be a frightening occurrence. Maybe it speaks to the sense of disconnectedness and vulnerability some of us carry these days. There are ways to deal with threatening online people to make the experience temporary.

It can be an opportunity for new connection.

We've come so far from the days of shared community on boards that I often read accusations of stalking which seem alarmist to me. The victim's advocacy world gave us the word and it's important to use it correctly or it becomes the "boy who cried 'Wolf.'"
This is true, but I think it's different from what people are talking about here. It's not just tracking, it's misuse of the person's words or intent to make them sound like something else. Before a mod slapped my stalker down, it gathered up all this information on me and then posted it in my state forum (where it does not live or normally post) to let all my fellow Jerseyans know that I smoke pot (nobody cared because it wasn't something I hid) and to insinuate that because I met my S.O. on a forum like this one that I probably write to men in prisons, too. Then the last part had me stumped for a bit. It said I went around City-Data begging people to meet me in person. It took a couple of days, but it finally dawned on me what it meant. I live in NJ, but I've always worked in New York City, and so I also post on the NYC forum. There had been some talk of a NYC forum meetup, and I'd asked if I could be included since I work there and post on that forum. (They'd all said yes, but the meetup never happened.) Anyway, I guess that constituted begging people to meet me, lmao.

I took into consideration that the stalker very likely was under the influence of something.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:09 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Yikes, MQ! Understand how crazy an experience like that could be. Sometimes you've got to wonder what kind of crooked thinking goes on for some people.

Certainly my words were not intended to discount anyone who has experienced a genuine stalking incident. Wouldn't do it. Nope, nope, nope.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yikes, MQ! Understand how crazy an experience like that could be. Sometimes you've got to wonder what kind of crooked thinking goes on for some people.
Mark David Chapman killed John Lennon because he thought Lennon was a phony. He was inspired to do so by reading Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.

John Hinckley shot President Reagan because he believed it would impress his love interest, Jodie Foster. He was "disappointed" that she didn't reciprocate.

Charles Manson had his followers commit murder because he thought the Beatles' White Album was a plan for starting a race war and becoming King of the World (or something) when it was over.

There have always been plenty of people out there who are a few fries short of a Happy Meal - and there's no reason to believe there are fewer of them on C-D than in the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology