Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 07:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I have an honest question, but some of you will have to pardon my ignorance on this subject.

I was just talking to someone close to me who's on anxiety medication (not sure which one) and she was complaining about her weight gain from that medication.

I asked her how long she'd have to be on the medication, and her response was "forever".

I certainly don't have a degree in psychology, psychiatry or any other mental health field, but I guess I had a problem with knowing she'll never come of the medication.

My questions:

1. Is it really a good thing to have people on anxiety (and other mental health type medications) indefinitely?
2. Shouldn't psychiatrists be working with their patients to help them to better deal with their issues, as opposed to simply giving them pills?
3. I'm an American, but I live overseas. Although I'd argue that where I currently live mental health isn't taken as seriously as it should, are Americans overdoing it? I find that so many more of my American (and often white collar) friends and acquaintances are on some sort of medication to help control their mental health. Are we overdoing it in the US?
The goal of the class of medications is to help people control anxiety which is overwhelming. The goal is to learn in therapy the conflict(s) causing the anxiety and reduce the need for the medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 06:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Antianxiety drugs — often more deadly than opioids — are fueling the next drug crisis in US
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/anti...sis-in-us.html

Old 04-03-2021, 08:55 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
What's tricky about reducing the use of antianxiety drugs is very similar to what happens to people who are addicted to alcohol or some other mood-altering drugs. People take them to get a sense of well-being. Then they can stop working and the dosage will need to be increased to provide the same effect.

Understanding the source of the anxiety isn't always necessary to overcome it. Many never learn why their bodies over-react to certain situations. "You don't need to know who started the fire to put it out."

But behavioral learning on how to control anxiety can still be accomplished without knowing the reason why the anxiety exists. And with abstinence more clarity and self-awareness will emerge over time.

Repeated dosing without proper use of therapeutic counseling and training in new self-soothing technics can cause the body to rely more on the drug and it loses it's natural abilities to soothe. Upon each attempt to withdraw the drug anxiety increases which "proves" to the patient and sometimes to uninformed doctors that the patient genuinely still needs the drug. It becomes a self-perpetuating situation.

It's not unusual for people to need months of inpatient monitoring and assistance to completely withdraw from drugs such as Xanax before they can see the light at the end of the tunnel and be fully convinced that the drug had actually become the problem and not the solution. It's a terrifying, extended and confusing withdrawal.

Most practitioners who haven't seen this side of their prescribing habits consider the drugs to be much more harmless than anyone who has ever tried to get off them.

I observed the beginning of this problem in the Eighties when patients were being switched from Librium and Valium to the "safer" drug Xanax. It's surprising to me how long it takes for those who aren't aware of what goes on in the rehab world to catch up with what we see.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I am dealing with this now. I have struggled with anxiety, depression, OCD, sever ADHD and C-PTSD. I was told I should be on Zoloft for the rest of my life when I was in a particularly difficult period, but went off it about 6 months ago at a time when I was feeling relaxed and happy. My therapist and I had a checkin and, while she wasn't thrilled with HOW I did it, she approved of my decision.

By cutting my toxic and abusive mother out of my life and achieving financial security, I had removed the chief triggers of my depression. That worked great - my mother is an emotional terrorist and she could plunge me into depression with a simple conversation.

But what I have come to understand is that anxiety is my real problem. It's always been a part of me, and I should have realized this as I was a very anxious even as a child. I will never be able to remove those triggers. I'm going to the doctor soon and I will start the discussion of how we can treat it. I would LIKE to have something to take as needed, but that can be a slippery slope, so we'll see.

The Zoloft saved my life, but my depression is in the background now and quite manageable with appropriate self-care. My anxiety isn't going to kill me, but it's not a lot of fun.

When I start anxiety medication, that will probably be for life. It is not situational - it's just a part of who I am, and it makes life a lot harder. I think it can be hard to figure out what is situational and what is a part of your wiring. I think our current mental health care system doesn't really leave a lot of room for trying different options, and that's a shame.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:39 AM

376 posts, read 321,199 times
Sorry I didn't read all through this thread, but by "anxiety" medication, could your friend have meant anti-depression medication which are also used to manage anxiety? If so, your friend may well be on it "forever".

As far as anti-anxiety and panic disorder meds, benzodiazepines are usually prescribed. They are generally used only on a short-term basis because they can be habit-forming, causing mental or physical dependence.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:25 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
Sorry I didn't read all through this thread, but by "anxiety" medication, could your friend have meant anti-depression medication which are also used to manage anxiety? If so, your friend may well be on it "forever".

As far as anti-anxiety and panic disorder meds, benzodiazepines are usually prescribed. They are generally used only on a short-term basis because they can be habit-forming, causing mental or physical dependence.
I've taken four antidepressants and none of them worked for me. When I thought that I really needed an anti-anxiety med, the stupid group (I still dislike them) wouldn't write for me. I just drank far too much for about 18 months. I threw all kinds of over the counter stuff on top of the alcohol and I still couldn't sleep.

My kingdom for a night's sleep. Thankfully, I finally got tired and then slept far too much for many months. The end.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've taken four antidepressants and none of them worked for me. When I thought that I really needed an anti-anxiety med, the stupid group (I still dislike them) wouldn't write for me. I just drank far too much for about 18 months. I threw all kinds of over the counter stuff on top of the alcohol and I still couldn't sleep.

My kingdom for a night's sleep. Thankfully, I finally got tired and then slept far too much for many months. The end.
Same here. I tried the 4 popular ones a few years ago and none did anything but make me (more) unpleasant. There's nothing to be had down here, so I rely on my mj cookie before bed to get that craved sleep that can be so elusive and defeat the relentless monkey-mind that goes along with insomnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology