Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,093,890 times

Advertisements

What difference does it make if someone married old or young? I married very young - in my early 20's and divorced in my mid thirties. As for your situation, you should probably go on match.com. Many people whom I know have gotten married by having met people on that site. Alternatively, you can do a 90 day kind of thing where you seek a woman from overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 12:04 PM

13,699 posts, read 9,795,841 times
We are social creatures, and rare is the stalwart who can shake-off criticism, barbs and nags and community pressures, without stress or resentment. This happens whenever we have unusual tastes or find ourselves in unusual position.

One important point: does the OP wish to have kids? If so, then the relationship-pressures become both more severe, and easier to resolve. But if the OP doesn't want children, then of course there's less pressure to form a romantic relationship, but also less capacity to do so, as most potential partners would eventually want kids. So, resolve the kids-or-no-kids dilemma first.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:34 PM

630 posts, read 662,854 times
lol
next time you're at a wedding party, tell people you're single. they'll quickly find a match for you.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:23 PM

382 posts, read 424,110 times
I've never heard of this before. Two of my best buddies are mid-40s and still single. Nice portfolios, houses, cars, and enjoying life. If the right woman comes along, great, if not - a single, well-to-do bachelor can have him some fun.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:50 PM

35,367 posts, read 17,273,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zd12 View Post
I am feeling that pressure and insecurity of still being single at this age.

I am turning 30 soon and this feels like the end game. Don't want to be one of those guys in their 40s who are unmarried and bumming around living like someone in their early 20s. In my 20s I can dick around and make the excuse like I am working on my career, but now this is the age to get married, have kids, get a house etc... *****
Finding someone is very tough for a lot of single guys. I don't know the solution.
I feel for you. I got married at age 34 in 1991 and am approaching my 30th wedding anniversary. I think people do the right thing by focusing on their careers and getting their feet on the ground until around age 27. At some point after that it really is time to start forming stable, committed relationships and edging towards marriage.

Before that time frame, in this modern day and age people really lack the maturity to settle down. While one may not get their "permanent" job by the late 20's they should have some idea, at least, who they are and where they're going. That's the first step. Women, likewise, need to go through that stage, since even if the marriage is happy, death or illness can strike the male.

As for meeting people that is hard and the pandemic is not making it any easier. I had one girlfriend from just after my 26th birthday for almost exactly two years.Towards the end of that period I concluded that, though a sweet girl she was not marriageable for me or possibly anyone else. I picked that up in her reaction to her mother's resuming dating after her divorce from her father. The next committed relationship started a bit more than a year later. Basically the girl, after being on her best behavior for about seven months, "lost it." We had some friends in common who warned me this was a distinct possibility. In the two and one half years that followed there were a bunch of "short-term" relationships. Perhaps by that age both I and my counterparts realized that it was time to get serious. The dinners in New York's nice restaurants and outings for movies, concerts and lectures, while a good way to fill time, could not be an end in themselves, while between ages 26 and 29 it was fine. So, how to find people?

Well there are singles and other affinity groups. That can work, after the pandemic psychology and restrictions end. You can put out signals to people you know, including, families, employers, etc. I met through a mutual college friend who I was trying to help fix her mother up. She was reluctant to make introductions but shortly after the call left my (now) wife's name and phone number on my answering machines, still in use on December 31, 1989 when I was given her number. My (eventual) wife's identical twin sister met her beau through a personal ad. 25 years later they are still married.

In my ethnic group there are sites like J-date. That can work too. Do let me know, by DM, post or otherwise how things work out.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:08 PM

65 posts, read 66,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We are social creatures, and rare is the stalwart who can shake-off criticism, barbs and nags and community pressures, without stress or resentment. This happens whenever we have unusual tastes or find ourselves in unusual position.

One important point: does the OP wish to have kids? If so, then the relationship-pressures become both more severe, and easier to resolve. But if the OP doesn't want children, then of course there's less pressure to form a romantic relationship, but also less capacity to do so, as most potential partners would eventually want kids. So, resolve the kids-or-no-kids dilemma first.
yes would like to have kids one day.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
I've never heard of this before. Two of my best buddies are mid-40s and still single. Nice portfolios, houses, cars, and enjoying life. If the right woman comes along, great, if not - a single, well-to-do bachelor can have him some fun.
Being a bachelor sounds great and all but can get old fast and lonely. I mean if I was rich and famous like george clooney and can get a lot of female attention at will then I can make due for a bit longer.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I feel for you. I got married at age 34 in 1991 and am approaching my 30th wedding anniversary. I think people do the right thing by focusing on their careers and getting their feet on the ground until around age 27. At some point after that it really is time to start forming stable, committed relationships and edging towards marriage.

Before that time frame, in this modern day and age people really lack the maturity to settle down. While one may not get their "permanent" job by the late 20's they should have some idea, at least, who they are and where they're going. That's the first step. Women, likewise, need to go through that stage, since even if the marriage is happy, death or illness can strike the male.

As for meeting people that is hard and the pandemic is not making it any easier. I had one girlfriend from just after my 26th birthday for almost exactly two years.Towards the end of that period I concluded that, though a sweet girl she was not marriageable for me or possibly anyone else. I picked that up in her reaction to her mother's resuming dating after her divorce from her father. The next committed relationship started a bit more than a year later. Basically the girl, after being on her best behavior for about seven months, "lost it." We had some friends in common who warned me this was a distinct possibility. In the two and one half years that followed there were a bunch of "short-term" relationships. Perhaps by that age both I and my counterparts realized that it was time to get serious. The dinners in New York's nice restaurants and outings for movies, concerts and lectures, while a good way to fill time, could not be an end in themselves, while between ages 26 and 29 it was fine. So, how to find people?

Well there are singles and other affinity groups. That can work, after the pandemic psychology and restrictions end. You can put out signals to people you know, including, families, employers, etc. I met through a mutual college friend who I was trying to help fix her mother up. She was reluctant to make introductions but shortly after the call left my (now) wife's name and phone number on my answering machines, still in use on December 31, 1989 when I was given her number. My (eventual) wife's identical twin sister met her beau through a personal ad. 25 years later they are still married.

In my ethnic group there are sites like J-date. That can work too. Do let me know, by DM, post or otherwise how things work out.
I think I need to get out more when this pandemic is over. I think the dating game has changed a lot and has made it difficult for the average guy especially with online dating. Now adays women can just go on dating apps and have their pick of the litter who are all vying for their attention. There are so many guys who are desperate and flood their emails. Lots of competition and they have so much high expectations.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:14 PM

35,367 posts, read 17,273,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zd12 View Post
I think I need to get out more when this pandemic is over. I think the dating game has changed a lot and has made it difficult for the average guy especially with online dating. Now adays women can just go on dating apps and have their pick of the litter who are all vying for their attention. There are so many guys who are desperate and flood their emails. Lots of competition and they have so much high expectations.
Connections through people you know and who know you, IMHO is best.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,498,458 times
Here's a tip: take some cooking classes

You will meet women in the classes who are financially able to take such classes, and you'll learn to cook!

Then you can leverage that into your ad and/or conversations, if you don't already meet someone you like in class (and you probably will meet some nice women). Women love men who can and will cook.

I don't know what you look like, but most women prefer men to look clean, no sloppy hair or bushy, unkempt beards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology