Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,815 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I became friends with someone and once I started getting to know her deeper, I figured out she was super closed off to relationships, had a very hard time trusting other people, was scared of being hurt so she pushed people away, was completely disconnected from her emotions. I did some research and it seemed like her attachment style is fearful avoidant. But with the few psychology classes I had in college, I think attachment styles are related to our relationship with our parents which hers is great. Can't this type of attachment be triggered by something else later in childhood. I know she has been bullied a lot in elementary school, never had any close friends and lots of friends have left her. Could that have triggered it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 03:37 AM

720 posts, read 428,197 times
It doesn't always have to be something big. Even a steady negative influence from bullying can do it to someone. Have you asked her what makes her feel that way?

Old 05-03-2021, 10:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hublaur View Post
Hi,
I became friends with someone and once I started getting to know her deeper, I figured out she was super closed off to relationships, had a very hard time trusting other people, was scared of being hurt so she pushed people away, was completely disconnected from her emotions. I did some research and it seemed like her attachment style is fearful avoidant. But with the few psychology classes I had in college, I think attachment styles are related to our relationship with our parents which hers is great. Can't this type of attachment be triggered by something else later in childhood. I know she has been bullied a lot in elementary school, never had any close friends and lots of friends have left her. Could that have triggered it?

What kind of loss has she experienced in life? You say lots of friends have left her. Has she ever been married? Have kids? Maybe even had pets die? She may have decided that the loss is so painful, and the only way to avoid loss is to not get attached.

I can relate.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
yes, one can become "fearful avoidant".
easily...in this day and age.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
I kind of feel that way about female friends (I am female). I've never been burned by a guy, but wow, some women will turn on you on a DIME.

I don't care if I ever have another one! Very casual is just fine from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology