Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Bugs are part of the ecosystem. It's pretty sadistic to revel in killing something and make a show out of it. Bugs pose no threat to you, they are trying to exist on this world same as we are, why kill them? Really makes me question the character of someone who enjoys killing, even if it is a bug.

Bugs are part of the ecosystem, true, but they also have a tendency to make every square foot of dry land on the planet their home. Bugs that manage to grab my attention get a new home at the tip of the green arrow.

More serious reply: I recognize that bugs don't ask to be stepped on or have their lives unceremoniously cut short. But as mindless as they are, bugs still capable of sensing and reacting to danger. That being said, I have to assume that they can perceive the pair of ominous, white, alien objects pictured above as dangerous when they make the mistake of crawling anywhere near my feet. Right? For bugs, being in constant danger is a package deal. Look how quickly a fly will move if you go to swat it with your hand. They have ways of escaping and avoiding danger.

Sadistic behavior is sometimes ascribed to those who step on bugs for the fun of it... but I would argue that it is a mischaracterization. Sometimes I just like experimenting with their reactions. When I plant my foot on an antmound to block their way in and out, I'm watching their reaction. To them I'm a menacing giant, but I'm rational enough to know that the ants that I purposely step on aren't capable of experiencing suffering -- a result which I have to believe is necessary in order to satisfy any potential/alleged reward someone gets from purposeful cruelty. Therefore I question your use of the word sadism.

However as I said, only a very tiny number of people have ever appeared genuinely annoyed when I go to step on a bug. Most girls love it when I step on a spider for them. Makes me feel like I'm doing my job!

Last edited by IanBlain; 07-14-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology