Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:10 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,120,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Joe, I've been pretty depressed in my life at certain points for various reasons. You have to change your situation. Move to Columbia, get some roommates and start over. If you stay where you are at, and keep doing the same things, nothing will change.
The loss of all that I have attained is often my biggest stressor and contributor to anxiety and depression. My home, my relationship with my wife, my financial standing, etc. But sometimes when I am in a funk thinking about that, I also think about how fun or interesting it might be to start over. There is so much possibility from that vantage point, that the fear of losing it all doesn't quite seem as dreadful.

I hope that the OP can see the road forward as the exciting, new, and unpredictable journey that it is. There is nothing holding back OP other than himself, which is a predicament that I think I lot of people would rather be in.

Last edited by modest; 09-28-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-28-2021, 10:30 AM

1,708 posts, read 789,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I slept 18 hours today. That's kinda the way it has gone lately.
Joe, thank you for being strong and holding on! As a vet, who does weekly group therapy, I’ve been around a lot of people who were ready to give up and end it all. I saw a guy on Facebook a few years ago actually follow through, and end his entire existence with little thought to it. I never want to see or hear of anything like that again.

All can say is keep fighting, and take it day by day. But don’t go at this alone, you need the help of a good medical professional.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:38 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,681,584 times
Many larger churches offer free or almost-free ($10) counseling services.

Therapy for many is unaffordable, but you might call around and ask. I found two without trying too hard. You don't have to be a "Believer", it's a community outreach service and they won't pressure you.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:24 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,403,989 times
To the OP--I don't think you are depressed. I think you are just sad about your life situation. As CatTX wrote, make plans for the future. Make little changes to your life. I have been pretty sad this last year. I recently went on a solo trip to a National Park. Those few days--I was feeling good, every morning I woke up and immediately started to plan my day. It was a new scenery to look at. It was a good break from feeling sad. I am back home now, back to the tunnel of darkness. What I learned from my trip is that I need to find new things to do every week. Life is not going to be great every day. I focus on finding pockets of joy in simple things to keep me going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I find a good way to deal with being down is to make plans for the future and work toward those plans, even if only a little at a time.
I agree with this. Even making simple plans like taking a walk in a park. Even finding a new book to read. I just started back to reading books. I look forward to finding a pocket of time to read my book.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:42 AM

7,977 posts, read 9,189,876 times
Many insurances have contracts with teladoc type services for medical and mental health care. Contact your insurer to see which ones are in network for you.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:41 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,356,654 times
Just here to say I hope you're feeling a little better, Joe.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,125,433 times
Damn dude, you're only 51?

Hang in there man, you got some time to write another chapter for sure.

You have a lot more livin to do.

I don't know if you have a job or not, but in this era, I'm sure you can find a job online to make some money.

Then you can buy a car.

If you do have a job, then sleeping 18 hours sounds pretty good ...

Old 09-29-2021, 09:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,551,782 times
I have fought depression on and off since my teens although first diagnosed when I was 22. It's been a constant struggle and I am tired of the fight. It feels like that is all I have done for most of my life and I am just tired. I said elsewhere that not everyone can be a success. Some of us have t fail. I gave it my best. It just was not meant to be.

Thanks all for your comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology