Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 05:52 PM

176 posts, read 73,054 times

Advertisements

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ma-short-kings

Sounds extremely painful and expensive but the guys I know around that height tell me how hard it is to be a guy that height wheter it’s the dating world or whatever

If Men are going these lengths to get taller I guess it must really be a bad experience to be that size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 06:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMo View Post
Sounds extremely painful and expensive but the guys I know around that height tell me how hard it is to be a guy that height wheter it’s the dating world or whatever

If Men are going these lengths to get taller I guess it must really be a bad experience to be that size
I didn’t know this is actually a real procedure, just for the sake of being a few inches taller - although I agree with you placing it in the Psychology Forum is probably the place for it i.e. self-esteem being too enmeshed in height. In contrast, I know of a few tall women (over 6’) who have a difficult time with self-esteem or dating as well.

That said, I’m fortunate to be a tall guy; hence it could be argued my point (relative to self-esteem) is ‘easy for me to say’.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:15 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Wow, there seem to be a plastic surgery for everything. I've been called tall in some places snd of average height in others. I can confirm based on personal experience that where considered talk overall treatment is better.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
As a short person who has a short son I can tell you it may have something to do with self esteem, but it also has to do with the fact the world is just made for taller people. When you are under 5'6" even "just a few inches" makes a big difference. It's no fun driving with the steering wheel practically in your lap because otherwise you can't reach the gas pedal. It's annoying not to be able to reach things on the top shelves at stores. People do treat you differently, sometimes unkindly. It can and does hold people back from advancing in their careers, whether it's because they are physically less capable of accomplishing certain tasks because of their height, or because others perceive them as being insignificant simply because of their stature.
My son and I actually had a serious talk about this type of surgery about 15 years ago, when it was still new and not available in this country. At the time he decided it wasn't really a viable option for him, and I think he's accepted the challenges he faces, but I also think that as this surgery becomes more mainstream and maybe more affordable he's likely to revisit the idea in the future. Heck if it were easier and I weren't as old as I am I'd think about it too.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Yeah... I don't think that surgery is worth the pain and expense for a mere three inches. I know that 5'7" men are considered short nowadays... but it's not like they can't make it work. They just have to be confident and masculine looking. I think that Joe Rogan is just 5'7", but he's very masculine looking. I'm sure he has no problem getting women.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:09 PM

79 posts, read 34,862 times
While being a short guy can indeed be a huge disadvantage, I'm not sure if surgery of this type would be worth the risks. I would be afraid of ending up permanently disabled which would be far worse than being vertically challenged.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah... I don't think that surgery is worth the pain and expense for a mere three inches. I know that 5'7" men are considered short nowadays... but it's not like they can't make it work. They just have to be confident and masculine looking. I think that Joe Rogan is just 5'7", but he's very masculine looking. I'm sure he has no problem getting women.
A lot of people think it's just about 'getting women'. There is a lot more to it than just that. Yeah, they can make it work, lots of people do, but it's still wearing to have to deal with the stupid assumptions and stereotypical attitudes from strangers day in and day out.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A lot of people think it's just about 'getting women'. There is a lot more to it than just that. Yeah, they can make it work, lots of people do, but it's still wearing to have to deal with the stupid assumptions and stereotypical attitudes from strangers day in and day out.
Oh, I see... I think it may be more of a problem for men than women though.. I'm a 5'2" woman myself and I don't think I've gotten comments about my height since like high school lol.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
the world is just made for taller people. When you are under 5'6" even "just a few inches" makes a big difference.
Aren't most women 5'6" or less? The Cleveland Clinic says the average woman in the US is 5'4". They're people, too, who have to reach groceries and steering wheels.

Maybe you could find a smaller car that would be more comfortable. I'm tall, and some cars are uncomfortably small.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Aren't most women 5'6" or less? The Cleveland Clinic says the average woman in the US is 5'4". They're people, too, who have to reach groceries and steering wheels.

Maybe you could find a smaller car that would be more comfortable. I'm tall, and some cars are uncomfortably small.
LOL. I'm 5'7" but short in the torso (height is in legs) so in a car, I sometimes still have trouble seeing over the steering wheel/hood.

That leg surgery looks like the most awful, torturous procedure imaginable. Look it up----

It's terrible that height has become such a dramatic thing! But we who are not short cannot really understand it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology