Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:17 AM

3,258 posts, read 1,634,097 times

Advertisements

I do feel the older corded Ma Bell telephones had a much better voice sound quality that made phone conversations much more intimate and immediate feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 11:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,830,608 times
The old Ma Bell phones were analog. These days, even your home landline is digital Voice Over IP (VOIP). Some people feel that analog is "warmer" and "fuller" sound than digital. Which is why some audiophiles prefer vinyl records (analog) is better than MP4, etc. (digital).

Old 12-15-2021, 11:41 AM

19,819 posts, read 12,371,362 times
Yes phone cords can certainly add to the romance and drama, like boom boxes and mix tapes did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ4zYSUJg8c

Old 12-15-2021, 05:08 PM

10,976 posts, read 7,524,107 times
I don't associate phone cords, Playmates, or The Story of O with romance.
But I'm not into kinky bondage.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,615,155 times
The voice quality and overall quality of sound is very much better on landlines - and the enjoyment of lengthy or romantic or interesting or between friends/lovers phone calls on landlines is radically better.

No breaking up, no static, no sounding far away with landlines.

I have a landline - will keep it forever or as long as possible.

Landline has come practically free with Comcast-Xfinity cable for many years. Even if it did not, I would most likely still have one.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:26 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,243,064 times
I can’t ever remember twisting a phone cord or ever thinking it romantic lol!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:49 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I can’t ever remember twisting a phone cord or ever thinking it romantic lol!
A number of things, of what we take from TV and movies, and how we interpret it. I remember an episode of The Magician where Max (Keene Curtis) snatches up the phone while playing chess, says how it is an inconvenient time of night, and then does Anthony Blake business. After the phone call, he turns to the beautiful brunette on the other side of the board and tells her it is her move (or so I recall, from 50 years ago).......and I was thinking, when I grow up, I wanted such a phone arrangement around my house.

OF COURSE, that was back during my tender age before I knew that scene wasn't just about playing chess.

I remember back then in the 70s when they showed all the fancy set ups one could buy so they could have there phone, such as being hidden in a nice wood (looking) box.

Or an episode of Charlie's Angels where Kelly (J. Smith) is kidnapped, they are calling like mad to find her, her kidnapper says her phone rings a lot, and Kelly says she has a lot of friends. As someone with not a lot of friends, I yearned for a day like that. OF COURSE, now the demons have taken it the other way, calling us endlessly about our car warranties, and abused our wishes.

To say nothing of this promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHskEt6PhtI

Or an episode in 2nd generation Mission Impossible, Church Bells in Bogata, where the son of the villain is telling the afraid of flying in small planes Shannon that she sounds like an actress who forgot to turn on her answering machine before she left.......and, once again, I took that little trick to heart. OF COURSE, these days with especially "The Governor's going to call! THE GOVERNOR'S GOING TO CALL!", I leave the answering machine on all the time to field calls.

The scenes we see from Madison Avenue and the like that hit us during some impressionable times.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
I hate phones of any type and always thought that stuff like letters or emails (longer written things) were better than a phone call. I don’t think cordless did anything one way or another since I find any phone calls atrocious. I do think video calls are better than audio calls.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:57 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,829,390 times
I just twist my hair when Ken calls me.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,772,686 times
The romance is not the kind most people first associate with that word. At least, not to me.

I feel its emotional allure in the fact that someone is talking with me, live and in real time, through wires that extend a very long distance. Possibly on the other side of this planet.

It is similar to how seeing a beautiful moon in the sky makes missing a far-away person feel not so painful, knowing that they, too, can see it (if not TOO far away in time zones!).

My husband was working in Mexico and, then, Colombia, while I was home during a “99-year blizzard.” Roads were not plowed for almost a week, power out most of that time, drifts higher than the roof...yet the landline phone worked, mostly. We were talking one night on a bad connection—but still a connection—when the line went dead in mid-sentence. It suddenly felt like I had dropped down a long, deep, black hole with nothing around.

That feeling passed, but I still remember the sense of abrupt desolation. The landline, and by extension the phone cord, was like an umbilical cord. And cellular phones just don’t give that feeling of a physical connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology