Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,970,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The greatest predictor of happiness / a sense of meaning & purpose is the presence of love and affirmation / validation in your life, in some form or other. And by that, I don't necessarily mean an intimate partner / lover. In fact overall it's easier to find belonging and shared purpose with more casual, simpler relationships without all the complicated cross-currents and undertows. If you're hindered by social anxiety or awkwardness, then reading or therapy in that area and practice should lead you to find interesting activities you can share with others, without the huge expectations and neediness you probably tend to project toward any potential romantic partner. You can then work on becoming the kind of person you'd like to be with someday, and then, paradoxically, you'll probably attract them to yourself.
What a great post! I hope the OP takes your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 04:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,025,962 times
Do you have hobbies? Things you enjoy doing? I know, that sort of thing or having a social life can be difficult if you're working nights and the activities you want to do/people you would spend time with will want to do so in the evening when you're maybe getting ready for work, not having time for events. But I would start there. Defining your happiness/"meaning" by other people can go south pretty quickly; people can let you down and if your whole self-worth is based on them, you'll be unhappy often. If, however, there are things that matter to you that will still be there when a significant other dumps you, a friend is busy, a family member doesn't pick up the phone (or, you're in lockdown during a pandemic...)... that will work out far better for you.

A lot of people don't live exciting lives, don't have their dream jobs, see their work as just a means to an end (paycheck), don't live the lives they would like to, etc. (And that's not even counting the people struggling to make ends meet with several jobs, who literally do not have the time/money/health/whatever to do more.) That's why life is often considered a "rat race." Yup, it sucks.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:38 PM

305 posts, read 296,165 times
This causes an existential crisis.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:32 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,360,726 times
Lots of good suggestions so fat. Mordant's seems especially good and doable.

All I'd add is the idea that we don't find meaning so much as create it. It's like that finished sculpture that was always in the stone.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:00 AM

928 posts, read 502,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I recommend listening to (podcasts on YouTube) or reading Dr. Jordan Peterson. He talks alot about meaning...
you are young at 30. Not sure how many of us were solid in our path even then...do things that you enjoy and make you feel good (and are legal? LOL).....it comes......

Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.

Find some friends. Join a club, or a baseball team, or something to get yourself involved with other people. Bowling!!!! go to the gym....ride your bike.....you get the drift....
I hear a lot about Jordan Peterson, so time I start listening to him and read his book.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:39 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,123,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I hear a lot about Jordan Peterson, so time I start listening to him and read his book.
Jordan Peterson a bit of a kook. Some of his messaging is palatable, but he has some fringe conservative viewpoints. The algorithms on YouTube send a lot of clips of his to my feed, which I typically ignore. He tends to resonate with the young men demographic who are struggling with things like relationships, career, etc. In other words, vulnerable men seeking out answers. He doesn't seem as predatory as some of those "self-help" gurus for lost young men, but I do tend to take what he says with a grain of salt. If you enjoy the "just pull yourself up by the bootstraps" type of messaging, then you might enjoy a lot of what he has to say.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Jordan Peterson a bit of a kook. Some of his messaging is palatable, but he has some fringe conservative viewpoints. The algorithms on YouTube send a lot of clips of his to my feed, which I typically ignore. He tends to resonate with the young men demographic who are struggling with things like relationships, career, etc. In other words, vulnerable men seeking out answers. He doesn't seem as predatory as some of those "self-help" gurus for lost young men, but I do tend to take what he says with a grain of salt. If you enjoy the "just pull yourself up by the bootstraps" type of messaging, then you might enjoy a lot of what he has to say.
Well, based on this analysis I would pass. I'll take a look, but maybe not a deep dive if that's his audience.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:17 AM

9,976 posts, read 4,726,407 times
First you have a job. It's usually to find another current working one. All is not lost you are not condemned.

Second is sometimes one has to be satisfied being able to care of one self which proves difficult for too many. Life is not about a wall of awards, degrees, 2,3 kids and/or a white picket fence.

Keep working and yes invest money when possible, plant the seeds of a new job/career with courses, part time work etc. If your biggest issue is a malaise you are doing something right.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,123,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Well, based on this analysis I would pass. I'll take a look, but maybe not a deep dive if that's his audience.
I think it's only fair to give him a look. I don't think he's the worst flavor out there. But from my perspective, he comes across as a right-wing blowhard who is dismissive to systemic problems.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I think it's only fair to give him a look. I don't think he's the worst flavor out there. But from my perspective, he comes across as a right-wing blowhard who is dismissive to systemic problems.
I don't mind the right wing part, since I identify (my woke word of the day) as right wing. I may not be as extreme as he is, but I know surprisingly little about him. Never listened to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology