Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 08:49 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,980,215 times

Advertisements

Almost 2 years ago, I sold a house that I'd raised my family in for over 20 years. The sale was the right thing to do: the area had gone downhill, the house had huge, expensive maintenance items coming, etc. It was never my dream house. It had been a great deal of stress because of all of the issues with the neighborhood and the house building itself.

Now, however, I keep having recurring dreams about being back in the house with all of my furniture and belongings.

I'm happily living in the house with my family and then there is this big moment where I realize the house isn't mine anymore. I shouldn't be there. Then the panic sets in.

I try to tell my family that we have to hurry and leave and they just don't react. They continue to watch tv or sleep in their bed or whatever. They just don't seem to know the house isn't ours and they don't care that we have to get out.

In my dream, I'm panicking because I know the owners will be coming home and I have to get us AND our belongings out of the house. Its really stressful because I'll hear the new owners' car pulling up and panic because I can't get out before they come in.

Sometimes, the new owners will open the door and I'm sad that I have to leave/worried they are going to call the police.

Sometimes, I'm trying to move my stuff out of the house, but I can't find moving boxes or the rest of the family refuses to pack up.

Sometimes the new owners talk to me. They'll say things like: why are you here? you sold us this house. You can't come back.

I talk to myself in my dreams. I can actually tell myself to wake up if a dream is bad. Last night, I told myself (in my dream) that it wasn't dream. This was really happening and I needed to deal with it.

In my dream, I'm in certain rooms of the house, if that matters. I'm in the kitchen, the family room, or the kids' bedroom. I can also travel in time: to see my kids at various ages or see neighbors who have long moved out of the neighborhood. Last night, in my dream, I went into my son's (he's now in his 20s) old bedroom and he was a toddler again. It was so precious.

I wake up from these dreams in a cold sweat and panicked until I realize I'm not in that house. I'm also very sad.

Does anyone have any idea what this dream means? Or had similar ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 09:10 AM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
To dream about a house (any house) is to dream about YOU. The house represents you.

To me, it seems that of course, you have sentimental attachments to the house. You raised a family there. YOU have moved on (thus in the dream, you realize it's not your house) but your memories of your family will always be attached to the house, and thus, why you can't make them leave and get out.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:30 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,630,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

I'm happily living in the house with my family I'm not in that house. I'm also very sad.

Does anyone have any idea what this dream means? Or had similar ones?
Nostalgia...what has changed that makes you feel that times were simplier then, or happier?

You can't go home again, by Thomas Wolfe, $1.45

https://www.alibris.com/search/books...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-25-2022, 01:14 PM

88,916 posts, read 85,433,642 times
I agree with SnazzyB about the meaning of the dream. In general, a house is you, the basement is your subconscious, the attic is your higher self, etc.

This caught my eye because earlier this year I emptied out and sold my late mother's house where I grew up. They'd built it in 1957, the year before I was born.

The dreams would not stop. When I was getting all the crap out and getting ready to put it on the market, I dreamed that my parents, brother, and grandmother who used to live with us, all deceased, were sitting in the kitchen, and I said "What are you doing here? People are coming to look at the house! You have to leave!" And my mother said, "Well, where do you want us to go?" My grandmother was just grinning at me.

Since I sold it, I have dreams that I am there with my living siblings or sometimes the dead family members, and I start to panic because the new owner is on her way there and we have to get out of there. I keep telling everyone we have to go, but no one listens to me. We closed at the beginning of June, and the dreams have been subsiding, but I still have one every few weeks or so.

It is a part of us emotionally. Both my parents died in that house, and it's the last place I ever saw my brother before he went to the hospital for the last time. Some part of me connects with the idea that they are still there.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Nostalgia...what has changed that makes you feel that times were simplier then, or happier?

You can't go home again, by Thomas Wolfe, $1.45

https://www.alibris.com/search/books...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ahhh, nostalgia...and, no, you certainly can't go home again.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree with SnazzyB about the meaning of the dream. In general, a house is you, the basement is your subconscious, the attic is your higher self, etc.

This caught my eye because earlier this year I emptied out and sold my late mother's house where I grew up. They'd built it in 1957, the year before I was born.

The dreams would not stop. When I was getting all the crap out and getting ready to put it on the market, I dreamed that my parents, brother, and grandmother who used to live with us, all deceased, were sitting in the kitchen, and I said "What are you doing here? People are coming to look at the house! You have to leave!" And my mother said, "Well, where do you want us to go?" My grandmother was just grinning at me.

Since I sold it, I have dreams that I am there with my living siblings or sometimes the dead family members, and I start to panic because the new owner is on her way there and we have to get out of there. I keep telling everyone we have to go, but no one listens to me. We closed at the beginning of June, and the dreams have been subsiding, but I still have one every few weeks or so.

It is a part of us emotionally. Both my parents died in that house, and it's the last place I ever saw my brother before he went to the hospital for the last time. Some part of me connects with the idea that they are still there.
I'm sorry for your losses. I can relate to everything that you posted--thanks for sharing.

I especially relate to the panicked feeling of the new owner coming and nobody listening. Ugghhh, I hate that feeling.

I have driven by the house and it doesn't trigger any feelings other than the thought that I'm glad I sold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology