Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 04:49 PM

7,609 posts, read 4,184,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My friend's name is Boomer.
Ha! This made me laugh.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:56 PM

7,609 posts, read 4,184,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no, your right, I've heard Boomer generalized in a very negative way, they believe that older people don't know anything, and it's an rude and easy way to discredit them, or I should say Us.
That's what I thought; that doesn't sound like a fun person to be around.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:54 PM

12,099 posts, read 8,487,670 times
Say away. If you don't have my permission you're going to have a hard time insulting me.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:57 PM

20,429 posts, read 14,748,761 times
I just see it as yet another example in a long, long line of examples of younger people who are all bright eyed and bushy tailed and full of activist vim about all the problems in the world, pointing at their elders and saying that they are the problem and they're out of touch...like partially they are "The Man" and partially they are just dinosaurs.

What is funny about this to me, is that Boomers should think about when they were that age, how many of them thought about their elders. Pretty sure there was some similar feeling that the older generations were to be rebelled against or dismissed, by plenty of people back then, too.

Second funny part is, I remember the Millennials being the most constantly mocked and maligned generation I've ever seen. I mean, Bill Maher is a great example of all this, he doesn't want to really admit he's getting old, but he has been talking like an old guy, and the notion he might not be hip anymore is enough to trigger the crap out of him, but he talks endless, endless crap about Millennials. Like, sorry guy. If you can dish it out but you can't take it, that's on you. Always quick to tell people to grow a thicker skin with you're the one pokin' em with a sharp stick, maybe take your own advice.

Me, I'm Gen X. It does amuse me to see the memes about my generation. Apparently we are all like, super tough, sarcastic and nihilistic and the worst thing that happens to us is being ignored and left out when people contemplate the generations. And as expected, we really don't much care. Sure, whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I initially withheld the context because I wanted to get general opinions on Boomer first.

The context is this: I posted online that I call the coffee brewed in a pot "Boomer Coffee" to distinguish it from K-cup coffee, in my office. That's it. I thought it was funny, but some people got really upset, apparently thinking I was a Millennial or Zoomer who was making fun of older folks. Again, I am an Eisenhower-era Boomer myself and proud of it. I didn't explain that when I posted about "Boomer Coffee" because it didn't occur to me that people would get upset.

For the record I still think it's funny but I see that many people, especially Boomers, attach negative connotations to the description.

I would never have said "Geezer Coffee" because to me that's overtly negative, and I guess we're getting there with Boomer. Lesson reluctantly learned.
Aw, sheesh. I think that your name for the drip coffee is cute and amusing. I like my coffee "Boomer style." Mostly because I like my coffee strong and cheap.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:20 PM

368 posts, read 215,581 times
It's based on 'OK, Boomer' a term to dismiss an out-of-touch comment by a Boomer. An example would be a Boomer who says/boasts 'I worked my way through college,' while ignoring that one must work 5-10x more hours at the same job to pay for college. Or stating they had no problem buying their own house, when home prices have jumped from 2-2.5-3x wages to 6-10x wages depending on the area.

People also blame Boomers for miring the country in debt, etc., while being spared high home and education prices and enjoying a what has basically been a 60-year asset bubble, and being spared stagnating wages for the most part.

There is a sort of ageist development to it where anyone born between 1946-1964 is smeared for being in that generation, which is obviously ridiculous.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:21 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Silent Generation -- Percolator
Boomers -- Drip machine
Gen X -- K cups
Millennials -- French press/Pour-over
Gen Z -- Cold brew

Old 04-14-2022, 06:33 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,486,017 times
Quote:
I was born during the Eisenhower administration and I never thought Boomer was a term of disparagement.

I grew up as a Baby Boomer and kinda proud of it. We couldn't wait to play Trivial Pursuit - Boomer Edition when it came out in the 80's.

But lately, people get really upset if you say "Boomer". When did Boomer become such a reviled term and when did people get so defensive about being one? For the record, I'm still a proud Boomer.
I wouldn't have chosen my screen name if "Boomer" had been a disparagement when I joined City-Data. I like people to have some idea of my age and my general location and I wish more members were forthcoming, especially when they discuss real estate, which is very much dependent on location.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:38 PM

6,921 posts, read 4,931,984 times
It doesn't bother me in the least. When I was young the saying was you can't trust anyone over 30. Even as a teen I thought that was stupid, because eventually most everyone is going to be over 30. That or dead.

Some people are just going to gripe. They have to pick on someone. Everything is always someone else's fault. Too bad. That's their problem, not mine.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:30 PM

44,398 posts, read 20,123,279 times
FYI, people: The previous thread about "Boomer Coffee" in Work & Employment was closed because it was off-topic for that forum; not because the word "Boomer" was used.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:00 PM

10,370 posts, read 8,617,689 times
Quote:
I was born during the Eisenhower administration and I never thought Boomer was a term of disparagement.

I grew up as a Baby Boomer and kinda proud of it. We couldn't wait to play Trivial Pursuit - Boomer Edition when it came out in the 80's.

But lately, people get really upset if you say "Boomer". When did Boomer become such a reviled term and when did people get so defensive about being one? For the record, I'm still a proud Boomer.
It depends on how it’s used . You can tell when it is used as an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology