Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 02:57 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

I am surprised that someone on CD isn't aware that "boomers", according to those that have not been on earth as long and aren't really aware of things like economics, etc, are responsible for the wrongs in our country. It is funny though, they don't seem to be doing much to try to turn around all the wrongs, but rather just sit and whine. They would like to have what the boomers have without earning it. I write them off as ignorant and move on. Insults based on nothing other than ignorant are not worth one's time.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:32 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Why "Sooner?

Other than sorta rhyming it has no relation to Boomer.

In fact, Sooners is the nickname given to settlers of the Oklahoma Territory which opened to settlement on April 22, 1889. Derived from the proclamation that contained a clause stating that anybody who entered the land prior to opening date would be denied the right to claim the land.

The term was originally derogatory because it referred to cheaters who jumped the gun.

By the 1900s, the term evolved to affectionately refer to Oklahomans.
I suspect that eddie gein, who claims to be in Oklahoma, knows that.

"Boomer Sooner!" is the tagline and battle cry of the Oklahoma Sooners sports teams of the University of Oklahoma.

When someone shouts "Boomer!" the proper response is "Sooner!"

Old 04-15-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am surprised that someone on CD isn't aware that "boomers", according to those that have not been on earth as long and aren't really aware of things like economics, etc, are responsible for the wrongs in our country. It is funny though, they don't seem to be doing much to try to turn around all the wrongs, but rather just sit and whine. They would like to have what the boomers have without earning it. I write them off as ignorant and move on. Insults based on nothing other than ignorant are not worth one's time.
Boomers don't have a big list of accomplishments to our credit, either. Most of the advancements we've enjoyed were actually started by the War Generation.

We haven't even fixed the things that we boasted back in the 60s that we would fix, and we've created some whole new problems.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I agree 100% with this. We were punk rockers in the 70s and Valley Girls in the 80s. Too young for Viet Nam, Woodstock, etc. I am glad they now have a name for us (Generation Jones)

I predict that sociologists will identify a cusp generation spanning young Millennials and older Gen Z...kids born between about 1996 and 2004 who were in high school and college during the pandemic and saw their entire world and future upended.
I think that especially with the rapid advances in technology and how it is shaping communication, that these "generations" will need to be cut in half. An 18 year generation was too much even for Boomers and now subsequent groups are being defined closer to about 15 year spans.

But that will keep going down...I'm a Generation Jones which is definitely more accurate than strictly a Boomer but...I really like(d) grunge and alternative music which is Gen X...oh well, I still get called a Boomer so apparently I'm not fooling anyone!

Old 04-15-2022, 06:40 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I was born during the Eisenhower administration and I never thought Boomer was a term of disparagement.

I grew up as a Baby Boomer and kinda proud of it. We couldn't wait to play Trivial Pursuit - Boomer Edition when it came out in the 80's.

But lately, people get really upset if you say "Boomer". When did Boomer become such a reviled term and when did people get so defensive about being one? For the record, I'm still a proud Boomer.
A "Boomer" is a submarine. A nuclear powered submarine. Within it's hull, you may find "Sherwood Forest."

And yes, they're silent, but deadly...

Old 04-15-2022, 07:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
These days somebody gets upset if you say "teabag".
Why you--you--you used Keurig cup, you!

Old 04-15-2022, 09:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm not sure why you think people get upset over being referred to as the boomer age group. Just because a few people you know seemed offended by it doesn't make it widespread, any more than a few people not liking "Generation X-ers" as being referred to them.

I'm in the boomer age group and am not offended by the term.
Me either. I’m a boomer. I’m also many other, more important things.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think that especially with the rapid advances in technology and how it is shaping communication, that these "generations" will need to be cut in half. An 18 year generation was too much even for Boomers and now subsequent groups are being defined closer to about 15 year spans.

But that will keep going down...I'm a Generation Jones which is definitely more accurate than strictly a Boomer but...I really like(d) grunge and alternative music which is Gen X...oh well, I still get called a Boomer so apparently I'm not fooling anyone!
It seems like the spans of generations change too. When everyone was talking about Gen X, I was too young to be a Gen X. Then when they labeled millennials, I was too old for that and they had somehow decided I was Gen X. My sister is an early Millennial, but social media really didn’t become a thing until she was ending her time in college and cell phones were just basic devices that allowed you to make calls and text. That seems like a huge difference from someone born in 1996 who may have gotten their first smartphone in high school.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:06 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywhereelse View Post
"boomers"..insults based on nothing other than ignorant are not worth one's time.
Respectfully, I don't think general criticism of Baby Boomers is unfounded.. Boomers had unprecedented divorce rates, and were a generation that was unique for their (shameless) pride in drug use and so-called free love.
And I know this didn't apply to every Boomer, but.. they were generational trends that did a lot of damage to society in my opinion. I don't think subsequent generations are jealous of Boomers, but they find Boomers to be unawarely self-centered.. especially when Boomers congratulate themselves for (decadent) culural changes..

Old 04-16-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Respectfully, I don't think general criticism of Baby Boomers is unfounded.. Boomers had unprecedented divorce rates, and were a generation that was unique for their (shameless) pride in drug use and so-called free love.
And I know this didn't apply to every Boomer, but.. they were generational trends that did a lot of damage to society in my opinion. I don't think subsequent generations are jealous of Boomers, but they find Boomers to be unawarely self-centered.. especially when Boomers congratulate themselves for (decadent) culural changes..
I don't think the Boomer "drug use and so-called free love" issues were the "drug use and so-called free love" issues that you think they were.

I think the "drug" problem was the chemicalization of the environment and the food supply, and the "free love" issue was the rise of divorces creating an unprecedented level of children raised without a father in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology