Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 02:38 PM

928 posts, read 500,370 times

Advertisements

How old is pot smoking Willie Nelson? He's 88 and still touring. How that guy is still alive amazes me. But yeah, I get what you're saying. Steven Tyler overcame Hepatitis and still singing I believe. What got to me was when the lead singer of Survivor died at 60 and also the lead singer from The Outfield, who I saw in concert at least 3 times.. Both not much older than I am now. Just sad. You just never know. With all the stress in my life and me not handling it well, I'll be lucky to make it another 5 years. A great friend of mine died suddenly while training for a marathon. He was 57. That one really hurt. Oh, and Robin Williams hit me really hard also. So many amazingly talented people gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 02:42 PM

[quote=kitty61;63390629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I grew up with this being the World War veterans and their brave stories the retirees around Sunday dinners , and 60s generation the mighty adults, but time flies now those people are dead and buried and now the beds with incontinent bathing tube feeding and TV on all days and night and soon to be hospice care = Huey Lewis the News, Sting, Paul McCartney , Blondie

Soon it will be me. How do I stop time. Life flashing before my eyes and now I’m old and wasted my potential[/quote]

I identify with this. You know you can't stop it. It's too bad, I know.

Make a chronicle of your entire life with music in playlists. I went as far back as children's records I listened to in the 50s. It does bring back good memories. Frequently, I crave to be back to that time when I was in my youth and my life was so much simpler and seemed to be more free, especially in the 60s, when the peace and love revolution was in the very air we breathed, and both sexes were being released from their so-called roles in society.

I even made a short playlist for my funeral, if I have a funeral.
I hear ya, and for me it's the 80's. Good idea to chronicle life with playlists, even if most of mine would be concentrated to 80's-mid 90's.

Old 05-16-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Think of an actress that you were attracted to in a movie that you saw when you were a teenager or young adult. For me, one such person was Elisabeth Shue in Adventures in Babysitting. When that movie came out in 1987, I was 21 years old and she was just 2.5 years older. All these years later, I could watch that movie, and up there on the screen, she'll still be the attractive 24-year-old playing a 17-year-old.

Singers, as well as actors, tend to be frozen in our minds at the point where they played in our favorite movie or sang our favorite song. They stay young forever, and when we enjoy their music or their movies, we can transport ourselves back to when we saw or heard them for the first time. It's a way of making ourselves think that we're young too.

Of course, in real life, Elisabeth Shue is no longer anywhere close to being a teenager or young adult. True, she's still making movies, and in general she seems to have aged well, at least in terms of looks. But the only place where I'll find her looking as alluring as I did back in 1987 is when I pop Adventures in Babysitting into the DVR. Time marches on, for her, for me, for you, for all of us. Don't worry about your favorite 80s singers moving into the nursing home. Enjoy them for the music they've given you, and live your life.
My favorite movie with Elizabeth Shue was Leaving Las Vegas. You know the scene I'm referring to...

Old 05-17-2022, 12:46 PM

11,062 posts, read 6,658,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
How old is pot smoking Willie Nelson? He's 88 and still touring. How that guy is still alive amazes me. But yeah, I get what you're saying. Steven Tyler overcame Hepatitis and still singing I believe. What got to me was when the lead singer of Survivor died at 60 and also the lead singer from The Outfield, who I saw in concert at least 3 times.. Both not much older than I am now. Just sad. You just never know. With all the stress in my life and me not handling it well, I'll be lucky to make it another 5 years. A great friend of mine died suddenly while training for a marathon. He was 57. That one really hurt. Oh, and Robin Williams hit me really hard also. So many amazingly talented people gone.
Yes! Robin Williams hit me the hardest of them all. Been a fan forever.

Anthony Bourdain was another blow.

Glenn Fry was such an integral part of the Eagles though they do change some of their lineup....

Old 05-18-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes! Robin Williams hit me the hardest of them all. Been a fan forever.

Anthony Bourdain was another blow.

Glenn Fry was such an integral part of the Eagles though they do change some of their lineup....
And while not a singer, let's not forget John Ritter at 50. Wow, that was a huge blow since I grew up watching him on Three's Company. What a huge talent he was and just a great guy. His son is a good actor in his own right.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Imagine being sent off to a nursing home only to find out Diamond David Lee Roth is in the bed next to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83Nd2QiycI
Not getting political here but he reminds me of Biden in a lot of this. The anger.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:16 PM

19,542 posts, read 9,559,393 times
Go Back City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Reload this Page Depressed to think 80s pop/rock star icons upcoming years are nursing home/home healthcare old age homes

I'm imagining music almost all day and wheelchair races, or wheelchair crashes.
Either way, it sounds like it could be more fun there than some of the ones currently in operation.
I wouldn't mind going there if it will be open to us NON icons

Old 05-24-2022, 07:34 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Not getting political here but he reminds me of Biden in a lot of this. The anger.
Well it does sound like you're getting political...and not even correct at that.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:29 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,363,901 times
No. Whether I like Biden or not, the angry responses with that hollow look would cause me to say what I said. Not political at all other than mentioning a politician.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,503,354 times
That’s the unfortunate reality we live in. Age comes for us all, in the end. We’re already at the point, where we are losing rockstars from the 60s and 70s, so it’s only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology