Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,725,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I can relate.

When I was growing up in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I actually had very little interest in Judaism. The childhood Jewish education was marred by spitballs and lack of discipline.

Fast forward to late 1972 and early 1973, my sophomore year of high school. Even before my father's death of January 5, 1973, some people I had met, and ironically one with whom I have become close friends took Judaism seriously.

My father died in the wee hours of the morning of January 5, 1973. By that afternoon The rabbi was in our living room going over the funeral. He carefully explained the rationale of Jewish death rituals. I participated actively in the drafting of the eulogy. I frankly learned more about Judaism in that 30 to 60 minutes then I learned in my last year of Hebrew school, when I was 12 and 13. That was in the spring of 1970.

Since then I've always found Jewish rituals concerning death to be one of most comforting, most beautiful and best parts of our religion. Jewish post-death practices deprived the public of education on probably our most beautiful customs and practices. Judaism's death rituals are almost unique. They are well-known for centering around the rapid scheduling of the funeral, rapid burial of the body, and a short but intense mourning period, called "Shiva." It is satisfying on both a psychological and intellectual basis.

I repped you elsewhere but here I am constrained to disagree. Many writers with whom I agree think that it developed to prevent a selfish free-for-all for resources and to make possible collective efforts.
That's beautiful to hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 08:05 PM

35,236 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
That's beautiful to hear
Retake that as a compliment from someone who wrote a beautiful OP. I never know if these stories translate well outside of Judaism. I will rep if I can.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Retake that as a compliment from someone who wrote a beautiful OP. I never know if these stories translate well outside of Judaism. I will rep if I can.
Can we agree people abuse, misuse, appropriate and misconstrue religion all the time? Religion, when done right, is beatiful, the well its handled and executed speaks for itself

Old 05-16-2022, 10:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s nonsensical to state human beings are inherently religious while simultaneously stating it is becoming obsolete/antiquated. In other words, it’s not inherent (or it wouldn’t be on the decline nor need to be coercive).
Quote:
Except people all over the world do not agree (relative to religion or laws), and morality is not the same as law i.e. the latter is enforceable to regulate a society.
Quote:
I didn't say we needed organized religion though
No, you (nonsensically) stated human beings are inherently religious, per your thread title/OP.

Quote:
Religion, when done right, is beatiful, the well its handled and executed speaks for itself
You’re all over the place in this thread; but since this is posted in a Psychology Forum, I’ll circle it back around to the human mind and behavior i.e. for some people, it’s beautiful; others, not so much. It really doesn’t have anything to do with religion.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
No, you (nonsensically) stated human beings are inherently religious, per your thread title/OP.

You’re all over the place in this thread; but since this is posted in a Psychology Forum, I’ll circle it back around to the human mind and behavior i.e. for some people, it’s beautiful; others, not so much. It really doesn’t have anything to do with religion.
So how do people find their meaning, ethics, morals, philosophy and behavioral traits in life? And how do you think cultures were able to develop?

Old 05-16-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
So how do people find their meaning, ethics, morals, philosophy and behavioral traits in life?
We may be born with a moral ‘core’, so to speak, relative to psychological health i.e. consciousness/the brain; but its development is ongoing. That said, it is far different from humans being inherently religious (per your OP).

Old 05-17-2022, 12:01 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,146,444 times
My POV:
Humans, a vast majority of us, have a need to follow someone/ something for guidance/ faith.

Some people go the religious or spiritual way, some decide to follow influencers on social media.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
My POV:
Humans, a vast majority of us, have a need to follow someone/ something for guidance/ faith.

Some people go the religious or spiritual way, some decide to follow influencers on social media.
There you go, a social media influencer is a great example of this replacing the guidance and mentorship of religion

Old 05-17-2022, 07:17 AM

35,236 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:

I don't agree at all. The OP and my post, POV: Human beings are naturally and inherently religious/spiritual(link is to my post) discuss the view that while religion can be used as a tool of oppression it can be extremely constructive. Frankly it would not have persisted throughout human history otherwise. Religion is often, though certainly not always, part of the human psyche.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Frankly it would not have persisted throughout human history otherwise. Religion is often, though certainly not always, part of the human psyche.
Moral psychology is different than moral philosophy; religion isn’t necessary (or inherent), although many do integrate their moral development with religious teaching/instruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology