Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:43 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
WOW. ok.
How does one look unfriendly?
BRF? Bitchy resting face? Probably not your issue, though.

I'm glad you brought up this issue, though, OP. It gives women a chance to compare notes and discuss it. I now know I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 10:02 AM

5,690 posts, read 3,191,619 times
Another thought...

If you're very attractive, and you're wearing your yoga pants, and your sports bra, and the other (white ) woman is older, wearing her "ask me about my grandkids" tshirt, he MIGHT just feel more comfortable talking to the woman he's NOT finding attractive. lol

And then...there's the women who are seemingly invisible when they're with their husbands. lol I've experienced that too.

But yeah...it COULD be a racial thing...who knows...but I would almost bet it has more to do with man/woman dynamics than racial dynamics.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:06 AM

16,072 posts, read 7,086,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
We don't really know what WE look like when talking to another person. Maybe a person looks angry or agitated, not smiling, not happy, not congenial, not friendly, not considering the other person at all. I think a lot of us should work on it. We are not the only ones with feelings. It may have nothing to do with ones race.
Perhaps.

I generally have friendly responses, and respond friendly to others, so I must be doing ok. This sort of thing happens rarely and always puzzling and weird when it does. The person was not unfriendly but just instead gave his response to my question to the other white women in the room. I agree it may not be race, as my husband could not relate to it. And I do not feel responsible in any way.

I think it is going to be ok because the class was nice, and everyone had a good time. And the instructor was attentive to me during the class, as to how I was doing.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Another thought...

If you're very attractive, and you're wearing your yoga pants, and your sports bra, and the other (white ) woman is older, wearing her "ask me about my grandkids" tshirt, he MIGHT just feel more comfortable talking to the woman he's NOT finding attractive. lol

And then...there's the women who are seemingly invisible when they're with their husbands. lol I've experienced that too.

But yeah...it COULD be a racial thing...who knows...but I would almost bet it has more to do with man/woman dynamics than racial dynamics.

it is funny how many here think it has to do with attractiveness! The other woman looked just as attractive as me . This is the senior center I am talking about people!
When this has happened before I never felt it had anything to do with how the other woman looked like. Also it could have been another man standing next to me, and the Rude Man would look at him to answer my question instead of facing me. It makes no sense to me and I have to chalk it up to some problem this person has. it could just be general shyness and awkwardness. or race.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:05 AM

17 posts, read 6,000 times
I do think it has to do with the guys, for sure. Either some kind of misogyny, racism, attraction/repulsion, something.

This happens all day, every day with some guys.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:20 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,022,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've had it happen because of my height. I am taller than most men, and some are uncomfortable looking up at a woman. I have noticed this my whole life to varying degrees.

And then some men are not uncomfortable about it at all. It is interesting to note the reactions, whichever they are.

Interesting. Does not happen to me, though, not even when I am 6'3" with my heels.

I would think for OP - you are intimidating, too pretty, not pretty, too much in his face, have had makeup smeared and he feels uncomfortable looking at it, something in your teeth, he is just rude, he doesn't like women, he is a racist, he doesn't want to come off as staring or sexual, watched too many HR videos about harassment, you are showing nipples or bust, etc.

I had a bf once who said he comes from an area (ghetto in NY) where you don't look at people if you don't want to risk getting into a fight. Others may think you are challenging them by looking at them

Old 06-03-2022, 11:21 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,264,252 times
If you did enjoy the class, and plan to remain in it, one day just ask him when no one is around. Maybe wait until the end of the "semester". Be sure to let us know what his response is!

Old 06-03-2022, 12:00 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetticode View Post
I do think it has to do with the guys, for sure. Either some kind of misogyny, racism, attraction/repulsion, something.

This happens all day, every day with some guys.
Or just not realizing this is poor conversational skills. We have the nicest guy here who is our HOA prez, and he will speak to me for several minutes down at the pool (where we usually interact) and he will talk and talk while staring into space. Not at me, lol.

In this case, I'm on the chaise lounge and he's standing up. Since I'm 67, I hesitate to say it could be he doesn't want to appear to be checking out the bathing suit top, so I chalk it up to his conversational style.

Who knows. A lot of guys are like this. I kind of don't blame them in our current culture where you can't even give a compliment without fear of -----

Old 06-03-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Or just not realizing this is poor conversational skills. We have the nicest guy here who is our HOA prez, and he will speak to me for several minutes down at the pool (where we usually interact) and he will talk and talk while staring into space. Not at me, lol.

In this case, I'm on the chaise lounge and he's standing up. Since I'm 67, I hesitate to say it could be he doesn't want to appear to be checking out the bathing suit top, so I chalk it up to his conversational style.

Who knows. A lot of guys are like this. I kind of don't blame them in our current culture where you can't even give a compliment without fear of -----
I deal with plenty of guys who are friendly, courteous, charming even, funny, easy to talk who look at me and respond normally. There is no mistaking assault from normal interaction.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:26 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,162,398 times
Perhaps he was uncertain in how to answer your question. He was looking toward the third party for assistance, approval, or a better way of expressing himself. It’s not a big deal. The guy wasn’t sure he could explain himself well and thought someone “intermediate” could clarify if he wasn’t making sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology