Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 02:44 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that you could be trying very hard to listen and it makes you look too serious/intense?

It's hard to know why people do what they do though. You mentioned that it has happened with other people. I wonder if each person even has their own reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 03:45 PM

832 posts, read 466,835 times
I'm with GrandviewGloria. Where I was raised the eye-stabbing thing was the same. Don't do it! Then add on top being extremely shy and even past 70 I have to shake myself and purposely stare at people when I'm talking to them which probably seems even more weird.
Once I'm comfortable around a person I still stare off into space to find the right words to convey my thoughts to others and only then look them in the eye to make sure they know I'm not trying to be rude.
Different social interactions for different areas I guess.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:24 PM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This happened to me today, but this is not the first time. I walked into this yoga class for the first time and the instructor, white male, was there already. We introduced ourselves and chatted a bit. Another woman walked in intros all around again. Then I asked the instructor a specific question. He explained at length but only facing the new woman, he did not meet my eyes even once. This has happened to me before with other white men, they will only talk to the white woman who also happens to be present even when they are answering a specific question that I asked. I will ask another question, same thing. It is as if I am not there. I am not white.
My husband who is same ethnicity as me, has never experienced this.
What is going on here? If you are a woman and not white has this happened to you? If you are a white male do you recognize this?
How odd. When he was talking to you before the other woman showed up, was he looking at you?

I don't understand not looking at someone while talking to them. I do, but have found many people are not comfortable with that because they don't want to have to look you back in the face.
Don't take it personally, CB. He's a flaky yoga guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology