Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 02:34 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,051,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
or live in a building with an elevator. thats what i need since i cant walk up stairs either.
I prefer an elevator, too... easier to roll in my grocery-laden dolly, rather than hike up & down the stairs multiple times. I'm healthy, but not strong.

Many parts of the country don't have them, unless you can afford very high rents. I live in a brand new complex now... it's only 1/2 built & I'm surprised they're not building elevators... the rent here is low compared to other parts of the country, but $300 more than many other complexes in the area.

3 floors high... hardly anyone lives on the 3rd floor... no one wants those apts since there are 2 flights up to each floor (60+ steps to the 3rd floor), even though the rent is $150 cheaper for the top floor. That's new... used to be more expensive the higher you went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 02:42 PM

15,648 posts, read 26,356,134 times
I’d say for the moment, it’s too early to tell. They’ve had painters in, why would you put up curtains if the painters are going to paint. Rollers often spit little dots everywhere. And given that we are having problems with the supply chain as they say, they might’ve ordered plantation shutters and they don’t have them yet.

I however am a curtains open during the day and at night they get closed kind of girl.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:04 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,293,953 times
Yes, I think privacy is very important. I had blinds the first year I lived in my then-new house because I didn't know yet what I'd want long-term. About a year later, I had shutters installed with a divider rail so the bottom shutters could be closed for privacy and the top 25% could be open to let the sky in. I'm as happy with them now as when I bought them in 2005.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:37 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,051,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
Yes, I think privacy is very important. I had blinds the first year I lived in my then-new house because I didn't know yet what I'd want long-term. About a year later, I had shutters installed with a divider rail so the bottom shutters could be closed for privacy and the top 25% could be open to let the sky in. I'm as happy with them now as when I bought them in 2005.
A bit off topic, but I love the look of shutters & was wondering, do they keep your home warmer in the winter, if you're in a cold climate or cooler a/c temps in summer cuz they can really block sun, if needed?

Old 06-14-2022, 05:29 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,655,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I prefer an elevator, too... easier to roll in my grocery-laden dolly, rather than hike up & down the stairs multiple times. I'm healthy, but not strong.

Many parts of the country don't have them, unless you can afford very high rents. I live in a brand new complex now... it's only 1/2 built & I'm surprised they're not building elevators... the rent here is low compared to other parts of the country, but $300 more than many other complexes in the area.

3 floors high... hardly anyone lives on the 3rd floor... no one wants those apts since there are 2 flights up to each floor (60+ steps to the 3rd floor), even though the rent is $150 cheaper for the top floor. That's new... used to be more expensive the higher you went.
Yes used to be the higher the apartment floor, the more expensive.. thats a strange thing that they are more cheaper now. I dont know how they do it in NY with the "walkup" apartments (have to take the stairs to the 6th floor!).

Where i live there are a ton of elevator buildings (chicagoland and suburbs).

There are beautiful homes (rowhouses for example in Philadelphia or New York) which do not have elevators, but they sure are pretty.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:38 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,293,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
A bit off topic, but I love the look of shutters & was wondering, do they keep your home warmer in the winter, if you're in a cold climate or cooler a/c temps in summer cuz they can really block sun, if needed?
I've found they are much better than the Venetian blinds were at keeping out summer heat and winter cold. (There are probably better blinds out there but I had the basic ones installed initially.)

A little light does come in along the sides of the shutter slats which, when closed, makes the room lighting more of a twilight than totally dark. I am fine with that, but if I wanted it completely dark I'd get blackout shades underneath (there is plenty of space between the window and the shutters).

Old 06-14-2022, 12:04 PM

6,974 posts, read 4,993,605 times
My driveway is a half mile long. I ha be e woods be and pastures, no visible neighbors. I had a couple windows replaced last year and still haven't gotten blinds. There are blinds on the bedroom windows. The blinds in the living room are up day and night. Now.... If I had neighbors I would close them at night. I wouldn't live in a place where people could see in my windows when they walked by.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:03 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,088,699 times
I hate having the windows covered. I was lucky that in my house I had a huge fence around the back yard. The front windows were for guest room (barely used) and kitchen. I don't wear many clothes at home so going into the kitchen was always annoying because I had to duck around the windows. I am sure some neighbors got glimpses of me here and there when I turned the lights on and did not duck fast enough.

Now I live on the 2nd floor and I think the neighbors across the street can look in. Half of the time I have the blinds down but half of the time I don't. Only when I turn the lights on. They must have seen all of my body parts by now. I don't really care.

My boyfriend has a tint on his windows to the front and it is almost a thrill being busy in the bed while people walk by and we see them but they don't see us.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:16 AM

786 posts, read 1,599,660 times
When we moved into this house 25 years ago, we removed all the window treatments, repaired the moulding, and only have aluminum blinds in the bedrooms. Otherwise our windows are uncovered. We love the view and light, and curtains gather dust and dirt, and add a smell to the house. We don't have any carpet either except for throw rugs for the same reason, carpet collects all kinds of dirt, dander and is not a good idea when you have pets. A friend visited recently and said "your house smells so clean", and when asked how should it smell, they replied "lived in". I'll take clean. We like the clean hard look of windows with no blinds or curtains. We don't have close neighbors that can look in the windows though.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:47 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,083,866 times
I don't cover the windows during the day, only at night. Some of my neighbors leave their front doors open at night when they're sitting in the living room, even in winter, and you can see everything they're doing. I never understood the reasoning for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology