Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 12:34 AM

798 posts, read 502,184 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the same house for 18 years. I just got new neighbors to the east of me. They moved in over Memorial Day Weekend. They installed an ADT system and removed the blinds right away.
A painter came several times but very late at night which I thought was odd. They took off for the weekend,
I assume to move more of their stuff. They left the lights on timers and there is 1 window in the front and it is not covered at all nor tinted. They left electronic devices in front of the window and a PC tower.

I could not live like that. What about you? Privacy is important to me. Now, I live alone and enjoy it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-12-2022 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Privacy is important to me as well. Even if it wasn't, I'd never dream of leaving any expensive items that I might own on display as if they were items for sale displayed in some store at the mall. You must live in a very safe neighborhood, or at least your new neighbors think they do.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:16 AM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
I'm resistant to window coverings myself except in the bedroom where I use heavy curtains, more for room darkening to sleep than any other reason though. I have blinds or curtains in selective places which I close only at night. I don't much care if people can look in a window and just see furniture or walls or whatever. I just enjoy more openness. More light in the daytime, looking at the lights outside in the nighttime.

That's just me though. I notice almost all my neighbors have every window covered, and quite a few of them keep their windows covered 24 hours a day.

But for the OP, since the new neighbors just moved in and took down the blinds and had some painting done and left for a little while, doesn't it seem early to have any sense of what they're ultimately going to do with the place? I mean, when we moved into our house it was months before we finally got it all tuned the way we wanted it. Your neighbors sound pretty careful to me with immediately installing a security system, putting the lights on timers when they leave. Is your issue only that you can see a computer through one window a few days after they just moved in? Doesn't your own behavior strike you as a little odd?

Last edited by Jessie Mitchell; 06-12-2022 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-12-2022, 06:47 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I'm resistant to window coverings myself except in the bedroom where I use heavy curtains, more for room darkening to sleep than any other reason though. I have blinds or curtains in selective places which I close only at night. I don't much care if people can look in a window and just see furniture or walls or whatever. I just enjoy more openness. More light in the daytime, looking at the lights outside in the nighttime.

That's just me though. I notice almost all my neighbors have every window covered, and quite a few of them keep their windows covered 24 hours a day.

But for the OP, since the new neighbors just moved in and took down the blinds and had some painting done and left for a little while, doesn't it seem early to have any sense of what they're ultimately going to do with the place? I mean, when we moved into our house it was months before we finally got it all tuned the way we wanted it. Your neighbors sound pretty careful to me with immediately installing a security system, putting the lights on timers when they leave. Is your issue only that you can see a computer through one window a few days after they just moved in? Doesn't your own behavior strike you as a little odd?

Yes, it seems a little too early while the new neighbours redecorate to claim they “live like that”. The sitting in judgement of the new neighbours is a little disturbing.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:51 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Shades up in the morning, shades down at night for privacy.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:32 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I live in a an apartment building. I never close my blinds. Reason being - the trees outside act like a drapery, and no one is out there able to peep into my apartment. I just never need to close my blinds. if i am walking out of the shower into my room to get dressed, the lights are off and no one can see in.

when i was living in the city, there was a street called Astor Street, very expensive apartments/condos. most of the apartment windows were huge and no drapes covered the windows. it was as if they loved seeing their home displayed. You could walk down the street as if you are on a house tour to see how magnificantly they decorated their homes.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:26 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
What do I think? I think the OP needs to MYOB. Geez, they're barely settled. The late night painter could be a friend fitting their job into a busy schedule. Its also possible if they happen to be flipping the place they're doing the work on their own time which may mean later at night. They may be planning to replace the blinds. Usually a good idea to give it more time before passing judgement on people you haven't even met.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-12-2022 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-12-2022, 01:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Shades up in the morning, shades down at night for privacy.
That's my motto. Or if the sun is blasting in, they have to come down and I hate that.

OTOH, here's DH sitting all day in the LR with the shades down. And we have an unobstructed ocean view with the water a few meters away. Drives me NUTS. But he says it glares on his glasses, so he sits in the dark.

I think it's criminal, lol.

Re OP, I don't think there's judgement going on. Just wondering why they would have expensive items on display. I'd wonder too. The first step is don't invite trouble, after all.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:53 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's my motto. Or if the sun is blasting in, they have to come down and I hate that.

OTOH, here's DH sitting all day in the LR with the shades down. And we have an unobstructed ocean view with the water a few meters away. Drives me NUTS. But he says it glares on his glasses, so he sits in the dark.

Re OP, I don't think there's judgement going on. Just wondering why they would have expensive items on display. I'd wonder too. The first step is don't invite trouble, after all.
I agree.

I guess they must trust their security system THAT much.

Personally, I love sheer curtains, and often layer them in such a way that light can get through, but the view from outside is at least somewhat obscured, though I am aware that at night people can probably see through them if our lights are on. I have been a renter for most of my life and I generally hate blinds, too easy for my kids or my cat to destroy them so I'd open them all the way and then hang curtains over them instead.

But this place I'm in now has these much wider, sturdier slats on the blinds that are meant to look like wood but I'm pretty sure they're actually plastic. I like them a lot better. So more accurately, I hate miniblinds. But I still hung up my sheers because I like the color.

I also tend to place my high end tech in spots where it's not easy to see from outside. Especially from the street.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:57 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Somebody was there the entire time. Their car was inside the garage I think...

I work from home and do the night shift on weekends because it is has been over 80 and humid

I have to do weed whipping but not after sundown. So I was doing that in my back garden area and I heard dogs barking at my machine next door. I did not hear or see a human for an entire 36 hours. I thought they let the dogs behind on camera I was under my hood of my BMW on my driveway adding wiper fluid and when I shut the hood, a dog barked at me from their window. Loud! Then another dog joined in. Their lights were on and my head was down but out of the corner of my eye I saw a man with surprised eyes.
He shut the lights right away! Then minutes later, around 2 am another car was in the driveway.
Dogs are 2-5 per household where I live 7 is the max per home.
I have cats only. Anyways, I think they are flippers or gonna cash in doing airbnb.

They act like it is all business. Only time will tell. I am just curious and excited to see if they flip it for a profit. It will only make my house value go higher so it does not bother me. It could go the other way also, they might lose their shirts

Speculation for now of course

I have not had a new next door neighbor in 14 years.
I am part of the neighborhood watch group also
but I am not an a**ho*e. Fair is my favorite word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology