Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:20 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,097,977 times

Advertisements

No. I've never cared what people think.
I don't mull over making decisions. I make the decision, then follow through.
Ear piercing shouldn't take this much thought. Lol.
I did my own ears at age 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 08:04 PM

6,513 posts, read 4,060,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Can we presume you are a male? God, I can't think of anything more innocuous than ear piercings. Like, who cares?
Some people might have very conservative relatives or something? And some people can just make your life very difficult if they choose to go up against you in something, so I guess it could be that OP might have this sort of relatives who might manage to chase them off future family events or something?

I don't know. There are some situations in which I fear I care too much, or other people tell me I do, but they usually are situations where I feel I don't have a choice, like not wanting to make bad blood with, say, coworkers or something. When it comes to acquaintances or strangers, I really don't care, but I've always felt like there are some situations in life where one just can't afford to have people think badly of them.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:22 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,990,276 times
Quote:
Do any of you have issues with indecisiveness or caring too much what others think?
I'm not sure. What do you think?

Just kidding.

The answer is no to both questions.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Some people might have very conservative relatives or something? And some people can just make your life very difficult if they choose to go up against you in something, so I guess it could be that OP might have this sort of relatives who might manage to chase them off future family events or something?

I don't know. There are some situations in which I fear I care too much, or other people tell me I do, but they usually are situations where I feel I don't have a choice, like not wanting to make bad blood with, say, coworkers or something. When it comes to acquaintances or strangers, I really don't care, but I've always felt like there are some situations in life where one just can't afford to have people think badly of them.
But it’s an ear piercing, not a neck or face tattoo. Are people really chasing family members out of family events for having an earring or 3? That seems about as innocuous as dying your hair blue or pink, and I can’t tell you how many women I know since the pandemic who have gone with crazy hair colors- my gyn, a supervisor in my boring government office, etc. I did mention it to the supervisor, only because I was jealous that her hair looked so good with the blue highlights.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:46 PM

6,513 posts, read 4,060,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
But it’s an ear piercing, not a neck or face tattoo. Are people really chasing family members out of family events for having an earring or 3? That seems about as innocuous as dying your hair blue or pink, and I can’t tell you how many women I know since the pandemic who have gone with crazy hair colors- my gyn, a supervisor in my boring government office, etc. I did mention it to the supervisor, only because I was jealous that her hair looked so good with the blue highlights.
Literally chasing, probably not (I certainly hope not), but there comes a time when the snarky comments or outright rudeness might get to be too much to be worth showing up. Some people are really weird about stuff.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:49 PM

6,975 posts, read 4,993,605 times
Seriously? You are worried about what others would thing of ear piercing? It's so common and ordinary. I can't imagine anyone caring.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:13 PM

10,973 posts, read 7,524,107 times
I think we all worry at least a little about how others judge us. Maybe not about pierced ears, but other stuff, like how others will judge us if we admit we care...

They say getting older usually reduces those worries, but then how come so many women my age all dress alike, in polyester pants and ugly tops?
At least I'm comfortable not being a part of that crew.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:15 AM
bu2

24,157 posts, read 15,018,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde7521 View Post
I will search for that book, thanks!
It was by a Dr.Theodore Rubin. Don't know if it is still in print. It must have helped because I don't even think about indecisiveness anymore. If its not in print, I'm sure there are similar books.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:42 PM

6,975 posts, read 4,993,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think we all worry at least a little about how others judge us. Maybe not about pierced ears, but other stuff, like how others will judge us if we admit we care...

They say getting older usually reduces those worries, but then how come so many women my age all dress alike, in polyester pants and ugly tops?
At least I'm comfortable not being a part of that crew.
hmmm....I didn't know they still make polyester pants. I know they have gone back to making cotton-polyester blends for tops. I avoid poly anything.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 26,174 times
If I like something, that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology