Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 06:05 PM

265 posts, read 238,948 times

Advertisements

This is not homework help; I am studying a psychology book on my own. I came across a question I do not fully grasp. I guessed the correct answer by looking up the definitions of all the terms in the question, but I still do not understand it, I was hoping to get extra help here.

An inhibitory neurotransmitter makes the postsynaptic neuron _________ likely to fire an action potential by making the inside of the postsynaptic neuron more ___________.

A. more; positive
B. less; positive
C. more; negative
D. less; negative

The answer is D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 02:51 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Hard to tell what you don't understand.

I may be wrong in what I'm laying out here, but I go by concept rather than slavishly thinking the printed word is always accurate, even in textbooks.

In lay terms:

Remember when you scuffed your feet on a carpet and generated a static electricity charge that zapped you when you touched a doorknob. Now imagine you are holding another doorknob as you approach the doorknb that zapped you. When you get really close with that doorknob extended in front of you, but not close enough to create the spark, that is a crude representation of the synapse.

Now, since the electricity in an example synapse is "created" by calcium ++ ions, the doorknob in your hand will be called the axon, and when activated the ++ charge will want to neutralize (go to zero electric potential) by crossing the space between doorknobs (synaptic cleft) to receptors located on the other doorknob (dendrite)

So, if you WANT to create a spark (have an agonist), you want the doorknob in your hand to be even more positive, or make the pathway between doorknobs MORE conductive. If you don't want a spark to fire (antagonist) you want to make the axon more negative (reduce the ++ charge buildup) or insulate the two doorknobs more effectively.

In what you presented, this appears to be incorrect:

An inhibitory neurotransmitter makes the postsynaptic neuron _________ likely to fire an action potential by making the inside of the postsynaptic neuron more ___________.

It should read:
An inhibitory neurotransmitter makes the neuron _________ likely to fire an action potential by making the inside of the neuron more ___________.

Postsynaptic refers to the dendrite, not the axon.

The book may be trying to make a simple example, but it relates more specifically to calcium channel blockers and GABA than the complex actions that occur in other areas.

Hmmm... here - this should get you on the right track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotransmitter

Old 08-05-2022, 05:47 AM

14 posts, read 5,567 times
Default Inhibitory neurotransmitters.

Inhibitory means preventing, and a neurotransmitter is one of the chemicals the brain and nervous system use to pass a message from neuron to neuron: so it is a preventing chemical to stop action (or an action potential) in the brain and nervous system, by making the postsynaptic neuron (the receiving neuron) less likely to fire, by making it negative. An inhibitory neurotransmitter makes the postsynaptic neuron membrane less receptive to sodium ions (atoms with electrical charge/energy). It stops sodium ions entering the cell, so they can not act with the potassium ions within the cell to cause the electricity to fire. These sodium and potassium ions contain electrons which have a negative electrical charge (opposite to positive) and protons which have a positive electrical charge. The inhibitory neurotransmitter stops the sodium protons entering the cell, therefore making the postsynaptic neuron more negative, so it does not fire. The electrons in the cell become static electricity, because they do not flow, without help from positively charged protons. When electrons flow they are electricity. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:33 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
This is not homework help; I am studying a psychology book on my own. I came across a question I do not fully grasp. I guessed the correct answer by looking up the definitions of all the terms in the question, but I still do not understand it, I was hoping to get extra help here.

A. more; positive
B. less; positive
C. more; negative
D. less; negative

The answer is D.

And people question how a teacher helps.

There is value in paying tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology