Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Lack of morals. One just has to look around in the society, everywhere. And some will say that I'm a moralist.

I remember "Band of Brothers"- HBO 2001 by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, drama miniseries. They were not cursing and it was real war. What can be more stressful than that...I wonder.

I read about the episodes, how they were filmed, interviews with the real survivors etc. Initially the actors were supposed to use more cursing in the series but the survivors said that they didn't talk like that. So the dialogues were changed.
Band of Brothers was a depiction of war. Neither Tom Hanks or Steven Spielberg were actual soldiers. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the actual soldiers cursed. A lot. Maybe not in front of ladies or superiors...but they cursed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 09:05 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
I heard that as well: plus a dear friend had a moderate TBI and started cussing the F bomb and others excessively.
I wonder why the "F" word, though.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:10 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Yet, even the most minor of words related to race, ethnic background, etc. are prohibited. For example, when was the last time you heard the N word on TV. or in a movie?
Heck, when was the last time you saw a commercial depicting a black or brown criminal for a ADT commercial. Instead they are all MD's and lawyers, with only white males being the home invaders.
Or the F word referring to homosexuals?
Are you saying that is de-evolution of society for harmful slurs and lazy stereotypes to be excised from media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Band of Brothers was a depiction of war. Neither Tom Hanks or Steven Spielberg were actual soldiers. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the actual soldiers cursed. A lot. Maybe not in front of ladies or superiors...but they cursed.
I'd read that the language in the show Deadwood was actually punched up, because the "bad language" of the time would sound quaint and inoffensive to modern ears. The writers wanted to emphasize that this town was on the fringes of society, both geographically and socially.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you saying that is de-evolution of society for harmful slurs and lazy stereotypes to be excised from media?

I'd read that the language in the show Deadwood was actually punched up, because the "bad language" of the time would sound quaint and inoffensive to modern ears. The writers wanted to emphasize that this town was on the fringes of society, both geographically and socially.
I can totally see that. Deadwood was about a dark and gritty cowboy town. The writing and the language suits the show.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:29 AM

8,661 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
This is most notable in popular music. In the 1970s, people would gasp if a 4-letter-word turned up in a pop song. Now, it's in almost every song.
It depends upon the genre; I don’t agree it’s in ‘almost every song’. That said, we have choice.

Quote:
I've been to a number of stand-up comedy shows over the past two decades and the women comedians tend to be far more vulgar than the men. Comedians in general seem to feel that all you need to get a laugh now is say as many dirty words as possible. Sadly, it works very well.
I tend to agree re: female comedians, as if they want to prove something because they’re women. Generally speaking, however, I don’t think comedians say ‘as many dirty words as possible’ to get a laugh or for its ‘shock value’, because it has become so commonplace - even twenty years ago. In actuality, I think it’s (at least somewhat) on the decline as evidenced by the popularity of more up-and-coming cerebral comedians vs. those of the ‘slapstick’ variety. There are many popular comedians who don’t rely on vulgarity, and some who do - not that there’s anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say.:-)

Old 08-15-2022, 09:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
I was taking improv theater classes before the pandemic, and the instructor kept insisting that "going dirty" was the best way to get an audience response. It was very unsettling and I couldn't disagree more. Even more so was the way I kept getting called out for not going along...
That destroys the very point of improv. Did the instructor even know what 'improv' meant? I also took one of those after going to an improv theater a couple of times in Seattle. There was a particular girl on the stage each time who was hilarious and very quick. I saved up the money and signed up.

At no time were we pressured to say anything particular. We started out with the basic "blurting out the first thing that came to mind" exercises. The point was to get your mind to quickly take a random statement, word, thought, whatever and come up with something (preferably entertaining) based off of that. Spitting out curse words each time seems like a lazy way to do it, and is it really the first thing someone thought of? What I discovered is that as we got better at it, the first thing we thought of was actually pretty funny. We didn't have the time to think about what it sounded like, what others would think about us, all of that was knocked down. You just DID.

As we advanced, it would have been a disaster to have to 'think of something dirty'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It depends upon the genre; I don’t agree it’s in ‘almost every song’. That said, we have choice.

I tend to agree re: female comedians, as if they want to prove something because they’re women. Generally speaking, however, I don’t think comedians say ‘as many dirty words as possible’ to get a laugh or for its ‘shock value’, because it has become so commonplace - even twenty years ago. In actuality, I think it’s (at least somewhat) on the decline as evidenced by the popularity of more up-and-coming cerebral comedians vs. those of the ‘slapstick’ variety. There are many popular comedians who don’t rely on vulgarity, and some who do - not that there’s anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say.:-)
Most female comedians disgust me. All they want to talk about is the same thing - which, lady, I don't want to hear about it. Yes, you're female, we get it, shut up. If it's not that, it's bashing on guys. Boring. There's very few female comedians I consider actually funny.

It's not "as many dirty words as possible", with too many comedians it seems that it is always about race. Yes, we have differences. Yes, they can be funny, but if your entire bit is about your race, I get bored.

The only comedian who I can stand who uses a lot of cursing is Daniel Tosh. That dude has some seriously dark humor, and I love that he goes there.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 AM

749 posts, read 580,033 times
It is a blatant way of getting attention. If cursing was permitted on these forums, they would be loaded with the words. Those of you who criticize it might also be swearing. I'm glad that proper language is standard on public sites, forums. Hey, you can curse to yourself all you like.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
It is a blatant way of getting attention. If cursing was permitted on these forums, they would be loaded with the words. Those of you who criticize it might also be swearing. I'm glad that proper language is standard on public sites, forums. Hey, you can curse to yourself all you like.
Honestly, even though I do curse, I appreciate the restriction to do so on a public forum. It helps keep things somewhat respectful, especially when hot topics are being discussed.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:04 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
It's very interesting how many people are objecting not just to cursing from comedians, but female comedians specifically. That just smacks of old-fashioned "ladylike" gatekeeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Honestly, even though I do curse, I appreciate the restriction to do so on a public forum. It helps keep things somewhat respectful, especially when hot topics are being discussed.
I agree, generally, though sometimes it is ridiculous that you can't use a common phrase or even the Latin term for "with honors" without triggering the filter.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When I hear someone cursing, I go in the opposite direction and throw out words like eunoia, redamancy, querencia, psithurism and novaturient.

That is my way of showing them how to be edgy.
I am sure your average dimwit would look at you like you were speaking in a foreign language. Not that everyone should know those words without being smart. However, when people cannot even answer basic history and geography questions, yet could tell you the perfume all the Kardashians were, you know they will be clueless to educated speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology