Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 03:24 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This is said a lot, but there's an air of "we'll punish you" to it. Which is fine. But without having the entire picture or story (as is often the case), be careful who you decide to punish.
I'm not personally in much of a position to punish anybody. I'm not a mod on any website. I'm not a boss of anyone at any place of business. Even my own kids are grown now. The only thing I still have is what anyone and everyone has, the freedom to engage or disengage. That's all. I typically prefer engagement, which is a big part of why it matters to me to respect the boundaries of other people. I can hardly chase them around demanding engagement, if I've bothered them enough that they have chosen to disengage with me, after all!

My kid, as I mentioned in an earlier post way up the thread somewhere, when he was like 7 or 8 years old, got banned from a friend's house because he was saying words that were not permitted in their family and the parents heard him. He knew their rules, and he disregarded them, and there were consequences. Knowing that family, I think it's very likely that he'd been warned before, though I don't remember (it's been quite a while now.) I felt bad for him, because he was miserable. His brother would still go over there, and their other friends would, and he could not join in. He cried. But he needed to learn that when you are in someone else's space, you do have to follow their rules, or you may not be welcome. None of us has the right or entitlement to be in another person's space, especially if we show them disrespect. So while he had my sympathy on an emotional level, I absolutely supported their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 04:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
You guys are really bothered. Gee, I wonder why......

Old 09-01-2022, 08:23 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Most company policies do not allow cursing at another person. Companies can refuse service for it, and HR can reprimand an employee for it.

It is not considered acceptable behavior, and there are consequences besides legal ones.
There's a big difference between cursing AT someone, and simply peppering your language with curse words.

Cursing at: "F--- you, you piece of s---!

versus: "Damn, this chicken is f---ing great!"

Would both be judged equally in a corporate setting?

Old 09-01-2022, 08:26 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I think you are a lot more likely to get fired at work for using the N word, than dropping an F bomb.
I think - in fact I know - you would be correct. I'd bet an entire paycheck on that, but don't want to be the test subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology