Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 04:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times

Advertisements

Profanity can actually be a sign of intelligence.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 05:41 PM

985 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Lack of morals. One just has to look around in the society, everywhere. And some will say that I'm a moralist.

I remember "Band of Brothers"- HBO 2001 by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, drama miniseries. They were not cursing and it was real war. What can be more stressful than that...I wonder.

I read about the episodes, how they were filmed, interviews with the real survivors etc. Initially the actors were supposed to use more cursing in the series but the survivors said that they didn't talk like that. So the dialogues were changed.
In terms of the motion picture environment, that's perfect. That's exactly the way it should be. So the 90's film Boyz in the Hood had a lot of cursing because it is an accurate portrayal of the way those people talked and conducted themselves.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:08 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Profanity can actually be a sign of intelligence.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearin...say-scientists
Reread the article. I think it's been mistitled. That's not exactly what it says.

It talks about discernment and creativity not the usual F this, F that, that is the tiresome and unimaginative kind of habitual swearing people find stoopid.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,036 times
Remember George Carlin's "ten words you can't say on television"? He listed them in about three seconds. And then he said some clown in the audience stood up and shouted, "hey, you forgot 'needle-d**k the bug f***er!'"

Old 08-13-2022, 08:18 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then I am SO healthy!!!!
Me too!

I learned all of my cursing from the military.

I don't go around cursing in front of the entire world, but do a lot of it in my car when dealing with drivers who have no business having a license.

And sometimes, certain well known people deserve a derogatory name.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Reread the article. I think it's been mistitled. That's not exactly what it says.

It talks about discernment and creativity not the usual F this, F that, that is the tiresome and unimaginative kind of habitual swearing people find stoopid.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/healt...ess/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/27/96106...f-intelligence

https://www.audacy.com/krld/news/nat...f-intelligence

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...e-good-for-you

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ger-vocabulary

Old 08-13-2022, 09:03 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Has it become more widespread? I don't see it in my circle. Now you will hear it more in public than you did before Archie Bunker, but its not everyone.

Now, whenever a Democratic politician gives a talk, they seem to feel the need to use the f word. I couldn't believe Hillary was using it and G__ D___ in that prime time debate with Sanders. Do they think they are appealing to young people? Of course, I also remember a written interview with Republican House Speaker Boehner, where he had trouble thinking of words with more than 4 letters.

I still don't think that type of language is accepted in corporate America. It is an unusual person who talks that way in the workplace.
Where do you work? It's used at the highest levels in corporate America, including banks and Wall Street.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:33 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
[Profanity is] used at the highest levels in corporate America, including banks and Wall Street.
And an indication of the decline in behavioral standards... which matches the moral fiber (or lack thereof) in the predators of usury and artificial persons.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:41 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then I am SO healthy!!!!
hahaah I kinda love to curse.....but it has to be appropriate for the situation.
My father was a longshoreman/tugboat captain. I learned my curse words early.

alternately, if I'm feeling ambitious I will make the effort to use my big words to 'slam' something.

Someone unleashing a string of expletives in front of kids might get my attention and I would probably say something. That isn't cool.

People are angry and I think cursing is a way to release that bad joo joo.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:26 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I am aware of the rationale these days for cursing and it stands to reason that every generation wants to shed the best light on their behavior. But the studies are not providing proof that cursing makes you more intelligent or relieves pain.

Again it's a matter of discernment. I believe the studies indicate that the more curse words you can list, just like the more animals you can name, indicate a large vocabulary which is a sign of intelligence. Not that the curse words make you more intelligent. You can know a thousand curse words, never speak them and still be intelligent.

All of the studies use words like "may," "suggest" or "indicate." Those are not absolutes. It's experimental. We still have a long way to go in our study of human behavior.

I think we've covered in this thread the way cursing can be used for effect and those seem to repeat what the studies have indicated.

I remember when there was a trend in my generation to put a stamp of approval on acting out anger through popular psychology. We had foam bats in the clinics where people were encouraged to strike each other or objects and shout out their angry words. We had Primal Scream therapy which was supposed to cleanse us of the pain and permanent angst of being born. Therapists were encouraging, "Go ahead and hit and yell at the top of your lungs. It's good for you."

Well, we've got that attitude now in our society. Don't let anyone make you feel bad without making yourself heard loud and clear. How does it feel having people shouting and throwing things in fast food restaurants? Standing up and shooting someone at a church pot luck? Better or not? And, more important - are the people acting out getting better or worse?

Then about a decade later new studies were being done which "indicated" that encouraging acting out anger just increased the number of episodes of angry outbursts a person would have. It appeared to be habitual, reinforcing. Anti-social behavior, unchecked, encourages more anti-social behavior.

There is a lot of merit in learning how to master our basic impulses to rise above creature behavior. I'd put cursing in the growling and grunting category. It communicates, but not much.

Impulse control can save your job, your friendships or even save your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology