Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 07:30 AM

1,655 posts, read 778,457 times

Advertisements

It seems like almost everyone (a lot that I see or overhear in person) has incorporated cursing into their regular vocabulary. Cursing was kinda naughty and cool to me when I was around the guys in say middle school, but theirs something about it that makes me cringe when I see so many people including adults doing it regularly. F this…F that…S…MF…blah blah blah. As a guy I was never a fan of women who proudly proclaimed to have a potty mouth. I never thought it was cute, edgy, counterculture or anything like that.

Is it part of something larger like a general dumbing down of society? We’ve lost some of our ability or will to communicate to we use profanity to make our points? Shortened attention span maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 AM

749 posts, read 583,550 times
Seems a national trend, don't know about other areas of the world. It is not just speech--it is cultural, in movies, books, shirts, comedians, etc. and is increasing because younger people want to push and break the boundaries of etiquette and common sense and good taste. Young people decide what is cool and what isn't...cursing and four letter words are "cool" to them.
In polite venues, classrooms and offices, it is still discourteous and very rude. On the street anything goes, but it depends where you live, work and your acquaintances. Has nothing to do with dumbing down. But it is part of the loosening of proper conduct in society, that has been trending for many decades now-- casual sloppy clothes, apathetic attitudes and coarse manners.
This is a huge generalization because most use profanity only when it feels needed.
The ideals of being a "gentleman" and "lady" are rapidly diminshing, a relic of days gone by.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:42 AM

27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times
When I hear someone cursing, I go in the opposite direction and throw out words like eunoia, redamancy, querencia, psithurism and novaturient.

That is my way of showing them how to be edgy.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:47 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
But it is part of the loosening of proper conduct in society, that has been trending for many decades now-- casual sloppy clothes, apathetic attitudes and coarse manners.
This is a huge generalization because most use profanity only when it feels needed.
The ideals of being a "gentleman" and "lady" are rapidly diminshing, a relic of days gone by.
I think there is a pushback about "proper" conduct, because a lot of what is considered "proper" is based on elitism, classism, and even racism. I'm not saying that there isn't a time and place for salty language or that treating others with respect and kindness is unimportant, but that much of what has historically been "proper" behavior is judgmental gatekeeping.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
It seems like almost everyone (a lot that I see or overhear in person) has incorporated cursing into their regular vocabulary. Cursing was kinda naughty and cool to me when I was around the guys in say middle school, but theirs something about it that makes me cringe when I see so many people including adults doing it regularly. F this…F that…S…MF…blah blah blah. As a guy I was never a fan of women who proudly proclaimed to have a potty mouth. I never thought it was cute, edgy, counterculture or anything like that.

Is it part of something larger like a general dumbing down of society? We’ve lost some of our ability or will to communicate to we use profanity to make our points? Shortened attention span maybe?
Well, a few things.

First, we are probably taught it. As what Tom Smothers said, "[11/28/02, interview in Chicago Tribune] I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything . . . There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country . . . It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar. It not only affects comedy, it affects film. It affects literature. It's pervasive on radio. There's that guy Howard Stern and all that smart ass, vulgar, sexual pretending like they're expanding freedom of speech. They ought to put an amendment to the First Amendment that says there shall also be freedom of hearing." (from imdb)

Secondly, I do believe we are more tense, be it the affairs of the world, our media, our food, or whatever.

Third, I think it takes a conscious effort not to be that. The other day, my older boy cat spring boarded atop a media shelf, bringing down things with a crash, and I cursed the Lord for it......in the future, I must not do that but replace it with, "Oh, my eternal stars!". Further, I should not curse my cats at all but instead, "Oh, Arthur, must you?".

Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM

3,152 posts, read 1,031,834 times
In fashion too. It's everywhere.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:55 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,119,844 times
Because cursing can actually be good for your health.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:57 AM

48,578 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Then I am SO healthy!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2022, 11:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
REALLY?

Is that what kept this guy alive for so long?
https://c.tenor.com/PM5WoftCstQAAAAC...-red-baron.gif

Old 08-11-2022, 11:18 AM

10,918 posts, read 7,434,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When I hear someone cursing, I go in the opposite direction and throw out words like eunoia, redamancy, querencia, psithurism and novaturient.

That is my way of showing them how to be edgy.
cool, I don't know ANY of those words! off to google.

I participate in a monthly stitchalong, and have recently embroidered the phrases "Maybe SWEARING will help" and "F***" (that was my response to getting Covid).
I like the juxtaposition of old-fashioned hand-crafted flowers with modern sentiments.
I think next month, I'll stitch a leafy tree branch with the word psithurism.

I read that when people suffer head or other trauma that does damage to the language centers, the word they recover first is "F***".

Last edited by steiconi; 08-11-2022 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology