Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 01:10 PM

37,639 posts, read 46,045,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
You need to come to Charlotte or similar city — it’s pretty commonplace. If you live in some lily white place like much of the northeast or Midwest maybe it is very rare.
I have never lived anywhere that was "lily white" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 04:13 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I knew a white woman married to a black man that would switch back and forth between distinct ebonics and 'regular' english depending on who she was talking to.
Kind of ironic. A college classmate of many from many years ago, White female, she had alot of Black female friends. When she talked to them, she would occasionally speak Ebonics, albeit slightly. It would come out when she was around most of her Black female friends.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. I'm Black. I was not raised to speak with the Ebonics dialect. There are people who would ask me if I was from up north (I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta). My father is from the Midwest. I also spent a bit of time on the West Coast. I grew up speaking standard American English, with some Midwestern flourishes. Whenever said classmate would speak to me, the Ebonics hardly ever came out. She had a slight Scandinavian accent around me (that's where she was from).

Old 09-10-2022, 04:21 PM

I'm going to chime in. I've come across a few White people who some might say "talk Black", or speak with the Ebonics dialect. One thing I've noticed is that said persons hang out mostly with other Black people or may have grown up in predominantly Black areas.

On another note, I think about this. What we think of as "Black English Vernacular" is really a derivative of Southern English. When Black people were brought to America as slaves, they didn't come here speaking English. They had to learn English. In the places where the majority of American slaves lived, they aren't learning the King's English. They were learning nonstandard English by those who settled the South. If one listened to "Black English Vernacular", it has some southern elements. That developed in the South, where the majority of Black Americans have always lived.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have never lived anywhere that was "lily white" LOL!
I lived in two places that were 95% White (it isn't 95% White anymore).

Old 09-10-2022, 07:45 PM

I'm Black, I have lived in a few different places. People have told me straight to my face that I "sound White" or that I "talk White". And this came from some White persons. I'm as American as they come. I learned to speak standard American English.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Linguistic hangover
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ars-180949663/

It’s anglo Saxon and still used by some in the northeast of England.

“The word “axe” derives from the Old English verb “ascian”, which means to enquire, and its usage is dated to over 1,200 years ago. Chaucer frequently used “axe”. The first complete English translation of the Bible, the Coverdale Bible, also uses it: “Axe and it shall be given.” The term has Chaucerian roots and was habitually employed throughout English literature for centuries.”
https://chrisdier.com/2015/10/24/yat...nstead-of-ask/
This right here making the terms "talking White" or "talking Black" quite ironic.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:15 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,828,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I know you're joking. Ever heard of Afro-Latin(os)(as)?

Spanish is just a language, and the African diaspora is pretty well established in a good chunk of the world.

And while we're on the subject, my Mexican-American spouse speaks not a lick of Spanish.
Yes, I made humorous light of what happened years ago, before I was aware of them existing, and was completely caught off gaurd, much like you probably would, if you asked me something, and I spoke... ah dunno; gaelic, in response. So your spouse doesn't speak spanish, okay? One of my friends was mexican and didn't speak spanish, I told him he was a shame of his people, he asked me why I didn't speak any african, I told him I do; they speak english in south africa.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:20 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,828,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kind of ironic. A college classmate of many from many years ago, White female, she had alot of Black female friends. When she talked to them, she would occasionally speak Ebonics, albeit slightly. It would come out when she was around most of her Black female friends.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. I'm Black. I was not raised to speak with the Ebonics dialect. There are people who would ask me if I was from up north (I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta). My father is from the Midwest. I also spent a bit of time on the West Coast. I grew up speaking standard American English, with some Midwestern flourishes. Whenever said classmate would speak to me, the Ebonics hardly ever came out. She had a slight Scandinavian accent around me (that's where she was from).
...ebonics dialect...?

Old 09-10-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
...ebonics dialect...?
I'm just giving an account of what I saw and experienced.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:48 AM

2,045 posts, read 788,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Yes, I made humorous light of what happened years ago, before I was aware of them existing, and was completely caught off gaurd, much like you probably would, if you asked me something, and I spoke... ah dunno; gaelic, in response. So your spouse doesn't speak spanish, okay? One of my friends was mexican and didn't speak spanish, I told him he was a shame of his people, he asked me why I didn't speak any african, I told him I do; they speak english in south africa.
Would a white person born here whose parents are both from South Africa be considered 'African-American?' lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology