Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 04:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,567,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
What part of your personality have learned that you must simply accept.

For me, it’s being introverted and cerebral. I’m just never going to be that ultrawarm, huggy, come-on-y’all-let’s-sing kind of person. Sure, I can fake it, if need be, but it will always be faked (with greater or lesser verisimilitude depending on my mood, my preparation (yes!) and the circumstances).

Fortunately, I am not called upon to fake it that frequently.

You?
Oh Lord, there isn't enough room to write out the list, and it would be boring to go through.

I'll summ it up: "Life." I've learned to accept life as it arrives before me, and be grateful for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 07:03 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If it makes you feel better--my favorite baseball player growing up was Tony Perez of the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds had Johnny Bench, who remade the catcher position, Joe Morgan, who remade the 2nd base position and Pete Rose, the all-time hits leader. They also had George Foster who was the only player to hit 50 home runs between Willie Mays in the 60s and the steroid era in the 90s. After the 1976 season they traded Perez off to make room for a younger, better % hitting, better fielding 1st baseman, Dan Driessen. The "Big Red Machine" never won another pennant. The manager later said in a documentary, "Shame on me. I managed the team for 7 years and never realized he was the glue who held it all together."

Now Tony was enough of a standout to make the Hall of Fame, but he wasn't the high profile superstar like Bench, Morgan and Rose. He didn't have the ego of those 3. But he helped keep it light in the clubhouse and came through in the clutch, being one of the best RBI men in the game. He was what it took to make it all work and make those around him better.

Glue is REALLY important.
I grew up in a New Jersey town whose only famous resident was Johnny Vandermeer. I met him when he came to help celebrate the town's centennial at the field named for him. Do you know who he was?

Old 09-06-2022, 07:53 PM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've never been a standout (professionally, intellectually, socially) and it looks as if I never will. Basically, a devoted, dutiful plodder destined to remain in the anonymous background. A manager described me not as a leader or a source of inspiration on a team, just the glue. I understand that adoration and fame can be fickle and insincere, but something other than bland acceptance of the energy I gave to something I felt was important would be welcome. I've always been fairly naïve and altruistic and realize there's value in those qualities. While I realize shy, self-effacing, background plodders do help move the world forward in tiny ways, just once it would have been nice to be acknowledged and admired for something brilliant.
There was a cartoon strip that pointed out the value of "plodders." I often felt that it missed the point. Plodders are ones who often suck up and continue to move on when charismatic and flawed leaders get the glory. Plodders can be so certain in their values that they continue while others flee. Plodders can be like the band on the Titanic, who resolutely played to create calm for others in the face of certain death.

A plodder who does not fall for a cult of personality, a charlatan, and quietly maintains personal ethics, that is someone I admire. In reality, it is also someone that the worst of the worst fear.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:25 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I've learned to accept that I tend to be "stupidly optimistic" I think things will eventually work out, good will overcome evil, and people are, for the most part, well meaning and honest. In 69 years of life, I have no reason to change that outlook. I also know that "**** happens"....
Ha, so am I. Probably why we were able to function after we left the JW.

I accepted it all but will always try and work on traits that throw me off balance.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 PM

164 posts, read 85,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
What part of your personality have learned that you must simply accept.

For me, it’s being introverted and cerebral. I’m just never going to be that ultrawarm, huggy, come-on-y’all-let’s-sing kind of person. Sure, I can fake it, if need be, but it will always be faked (with greater or lesser verisimilitude depending on my mood, my preparation (yes!) and the circumstances).

Fortunately, I am not called upon to fake it that frequently.

You?

For me it's being introverted and going by the beat of my own drum.

Last edited by Ariel Scheidegger; 09-06-2022 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-06-2022, 10:43 PM

164 posts, read 85,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not a "nice" person by nature, and I am cynical about nice people. I assume they are faking like me.

Of course, now that I am older, I have known a few genuinely good-hearted people. I will always have to work at being nice, but I do appreciate the real ones.

My closest friend once sent me this meme because she said it reminded her of me. She loves me anyway.

ROFL! That is hilarious!

Old 09-07-2022, 07:16 AM

17,414 posts, read 22,161,043 times
I'm the most honest person you have ever met but whew that can rub people the wrong way...........lightning fast!

Chubby girl in a tight dress asks "Does this dress make me look fat?" My answer is "yep"

Dopey kid with no athletic skills asks "Do you think I could play pro ball?" My answer is not unless you join the wheelchair league!

My mom was talking about end of life issues, I said mom "click, pull the plug" she was so incensed that she changed her personal representative! Yet being comatose lying in bed in a nursing home isn't "LIVING!"

So I get that I rub some people the wrong way, I used to "soften" my remarks but as the world gets more politically correct, I figure I don't want to lie to people, being honest might give them a dose of reality and set them on a more realistic path. As most people age the "filter" goes out the window, I'm conscious of that but I can see why they simply don't care.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:14 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I grew up in a New Jersey town whose only famous resident was Johnny Vandermeer. I met him when he came to help celebrate the town's centennial at the field named for him. Do you know who he was?
Yes, but he was with the Reds waaayyy before my time.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,412,731 times
I can be too nice and optimistic, which can cause me to get taken advantage of. I also don't like to talk too deeply about myself unless it is with someone I truly trust. I keep it surface level and carefree with most people.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:14 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,318,664 times
I will always be the boring responsible introvert and not the crowd pleaser. I don't have a larger than life personality and enjoy nonstop adventure, thrill seeking, drugs, visiting 30 countries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology