Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 09:30 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or, since they were at home, the question was to make a pot of coffee, not buy it. It's not unusual to offer guests coffee/tea/water, etc, and since it's family, making a request rather than being offered isn't completely out of line.
Actually...that makes a LOT of sense.

OP, maybe you misunderstood the whole exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 09:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I recently remembered this possibly happening, but didn't give it much thought. I say it somewhat matters because it's good to get an idea of why someone says what they say. The psychology behind it all. This is a psychology forum. We're all interested in how the mind works. I guess was also wondering, not just my exact situation, but also when other people do it. Their intention behind why they ask such a question or something along those lines.
So, this is just a conversation starter. Okay. Personally, I don't think one can make any enlightening conjectures upon a theoretical because psychology isn't rooted in the act, but the person behind the act.

In your situation, the psychology would be dependent upon too many unknowns, like:
- when and where did it occur, because much of human behavior is dependent upon the situational context.
- who were the people (ages, familial and/or community relationship, cultures, religions, upbringing, economic relations, etc)

If the person asking was older, higher ranking, wealthier, and well educated, the motives could well be much different than in other circumstances.

It would be a meaningless conversation to identify any useful information to answer your question.

That said, just to pass the time of day in idle conversation, I would make an assumption in your example that the older man just wanted a cup of coffee and assumed the young man was capable of providing it. If you want to go further, he probably liked the younger man, and enjoyed his company -- because why else would he engage?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:39 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
wha?...

Old 11-02-2022, 12:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
I think it might've happened to me to me a long time ago, but I don't remember if it's true. I think he said it playfully, but probably it was also an actual request. Only time I hear someone asking this is from a homeless guy. A part of me says he was testing me. If I do buy him a coffee, then in the future he'll ask again or for other favors. It's like people who want to use other people, they first test the person to see how much they can get away with. Maybe I'm just pessimistic

I remember my stepdad always paying for everything when we went out. That's another. That supports my theory regarding what kind of man he is. Is it just a innocent question or is there a more nefarious agenda behind it?. What do you think it means?.
When I was in my 20s, I went to dinner with some older relatives who I didn’t know well. They insisted that I pay, so I did.

My grandmother (who wasn’t there) was livid that the relatives did that.

So that shows that the older person pays for the younger (at least within family).

Old 11-02-2022, 02:00 PM

253 posts, read 190,433 times
This is the least entertaining thread on C-D.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
How old was the nephew? Seems he wouldn't have been a teenager because he wouldn't be old enough to drink coffee. At least in my experience, parents of my day would not allow their kids to drink it. So I can surmise he was a young man maybe on his own because he had money in his pocket. I don't think he would be spending his allowance.

Maybe this is how it went.

There is an ironical, friendly-banter, coffee meme that has a very long history.

Uncle: Let's go for coffee. You're buyin. !!

*Both chuckle.

Nephew: (Kidding), "Oh no you don't. I'm not payin'. It's your turn!".

*More jocularity

A little pseudo squabble goes back and forth until one person finally caves.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:33 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
I asked my 16 y/o son out to an ice cream store the other night. After placing our order, I whipped out my wallet and my son instead said "I got this Dad" and handed the order taker $10 cash.

It was a pleasant surprise and I really appreciated it.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
Quote:
I think it might've happened to me to me a long time ago, but I don't remember if it's true. I think he said it playfully, but probably it was also an actual request. Only time I hear someone asking this is from a homeless guy. A part of me says he was testing me. If I do buy him a coffee, then in the future he'll ask again or for other favors. It's like people who want to use other people, they first test the person to see how much they can get away with. Maybe I'm just pessimistic

I remember my stepdad always paying for everything when we went out. That's another. That supports my theory regarding what kind of man he is. Is it just a innocent question or is there a more nefarious agenda behind it?. What do you think it means?.
Why in the world would something so trivial be on your mind, and why would you ask about it? It's as if there is nothing else to think about so you just develop a question to ask?

Old 11-03-2022, 09:10 PM

159 posts, read 146,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
When I was in my 20s, I went to dinner with some older relatives who I didn’t know well. They insisted that I pay, so I did.

My grandmother (who wasn’t there) was livid that the relatives did that.

So that shows that the older person pays for the younger (at least within family).
Did they ever ask you again to pay for them or ask you for any favors?. Why do you think they asked you to pay?.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:54 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times
There are a lot of threads like this. Random/meaningless inquiries.

I think that people are lonely. Our responses might be a substitute for legit human interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology