Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2022, 05:06 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of mine spent nearly 25 minutes trying to convince someone to do them a favor of sorts. Actually it was a chore the guy didn't want to do himself and a chore for which he had not found anyone willing to do it. Being a greeter at a social event. Once she agreed the guy only said one word: "great"
And walked off. I overheard it and it was the way they said the word great. As they said the word their speech fell off as they concluded the word.

I can't come up with the word (s) that describe this type of verbal behavior. Maybe you can.

To me it was like they finally got what they wanted and said "great" as they turned and walked away from the woman. Poor etiquette in my book.

Can you name it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 07:01 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Did she tell him no at first?

Old 12-01-2022, 10:39 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
An acquaintance of mine spent nearly 25 minutes trying to convince someone to do them a favor of sorts. Actually it was a chore the guy didn't want to do himself and a chore for which he had not found anyone willing to do it. Being a greeter at a social event. Once she agreed the guy only said one word: "great"
And walked off. I overheard it and it was the way they said the word great. As they said the word their speech fell off as they concluded the word.

I can't come up with the word (s) that describe this type of verbal behavior. Maybe you can.

To me it was like they finally got what they wanted and said "great" as they turned and walked away from the woman. Poor etiquette in my book.

Can you name it? Thanks.
Sure, but bear in mind that some mods have a huge problem with 1-word posts, so I'll extend it like I just did.

The word you're looking for is "manipulation."

Old 12-07-2022, 02:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,038,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Can you name it? Thanks.
I'm having trouble reading and understanding this post due to the punctuation and paragraphs. Sorry.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:40 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Did she tell him no at first?
No she did not and it took awhile for her to know what her duties would be. Stand - sit at the entrance, greet arrivals, handout a flyer, show persons to the seating area.
Yes over a period of time (20+ minutes) manipulation played a part in it.
Take time to evaluate when the person says they have an "important" job for you.
It's also some flattery: excessive and insincere praise, given especially to further one's own interests.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Maybe the word you're looking for is 'dismissive?

Old 12-07-2022, 05:57 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe the word you're looking for is 'dismissive?
That's what I vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology