Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 09:48 AM

11,751 posts, read 6,124,466 times

Advertisements

I have never been into "experiences".

The idea of actively seeking out "experiences" rather than being materialistic is a widely Millennial phenomenon and intentional. I don't know why it is or how it started or how it spread. I don't know if it is a natural reaction by Millennials watching their Boomer parents, or if it is more a movement that started with Millenials dropping out of the consumerist rat race and promoting their joy of being free from it, and that spreading among Millennials as a cool rejection of Boomer values. Could be some of both.

As a Baby Boomer, I have never sought "experiences". My goal in life was always to be happy. In that pursuit, I have purchased various goods that I feel have enhanced my happiness. Similarly, I have always gone out and "done stuff" for the joy of it and to fight boredom.

When I went to Paris, I was not thinking "I need new experiences" to bank. My thinking was, Paris is a beautiful old historic place with 2000 years of history that would be fun to see. We are talking about ancient Romans, Hastings and Normandy, Medieval nights and Joan of Arc, the Renaissance, the French Revolution, Emperor Napoleon I and II, and then two World Wars. I valued the experiences I enjoyed on that vacation like old building, the Eiffel Tower, the food, hearing French, riding the metro, seeing the Roman ruins under Notre Dame.

I then returned home to a house I valued, watched TV I valued, and drove a fun car I valued.

For whatever reason, Millennials consciously segregate the joy they get from "experiences" vs. possessions. I wasn't raised to think that way and never did. For me, it was a spectrum of joy I got from a combinations of things I did and things I owned, always competing for my precious money that never went far enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 10:04 AM

10,362 posts, read 8,605,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

The idea of actively seeking out "experiences" rather than being materialistic is a widely Millennial phenomenon and intentional. I don't know why it is or how it started or how it spread. I don't know if it is a natural reaction by Millennials watching their Boomer parents, or if it is more a movement that started with Millenials dropping out of the consumerist rat race and promoting their joy of being free from it, and that spreading among Millennials as a cool rejection of Boomer values. Could be some of both.

As a Baby Boomer, I have never sought "experiences". My goal in life was always to be happy. In that pursuit, I have purchased various goods that I feel have enhanced my happiness. Similarly, I have always gone out and "done stuff" for the joy of it and to fight boredom.

When I went to Paris, I was not thinking "I need new experiences" to bank. My thinking was, Paris is a beautiful old historic place with 2000 years of history that would be fun to see. We are talking about ancient Romans, Hastings and Normandy, Medieval nights and Joan of Arc, the Renaissance, the French Revolution, Emperor Napoleon I and II, and then two World Wars. I valued the experiences I enjoyed on that vacation like old building, the Eiffel Tower, the food, hearing French, riding the metro, seeing the Roman ruins under Notre Dame.

I then returned home to a house I valued, watched TV I valued, and drove a fun car I valued.

For whatever reason, Millennials consciously segregate the joy they get from "experiences" vs. possessions. I wasn't raised to think that way and never did. For me, it was a spectrum of joy I got from a combinations of things I did and things I owned, always competing for my precious money that never went far enough.
Interesting observations. I think you have a lot of good points.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:18 AM

10,362 posts, read 8,605,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Taking the other side of the argument, there are numerous reasons for waiting, whether the indulgence in question is a "thing" or an experience. When we're young, we haven't yet developed our tastes or proclivities. We don't fully discern what it is, that we really want. Experimentation is expensive.

Then there's the achievement value of savings and investment. To have died without yet having tasted the various joys that money can buy, means... what? The dead have no regrets. But to peak too soon, is a most grievous regret.

Indeed. The car-hobby, in its various manifestations, is a particular joy. But you gentlemen have omitted an important ingredient, which perhaps to you is obvious and second-nature, but which isn't so obvious in general....

... The mere possession of a capable car, isn't directly a ticket to good social relations with others. One also needs charisma, verve, the willingness to "put oneself out there". This is a skill, which requires either natural talent, or careful cultivation. I have observed that business-oriented people, who also happen to have interesting cars, manage to use those cars, to build interesting human connections. Those lacking such acumen, are less successful.

Though a car guy myself, I've had no luck networking with other adherents to the car hobby, despite now living in what's supposed to be the most car-oriented city in America. The sudden acquisition of a fine machine, would be a pleasure in itself, and a worthy one. But it wouldn't transform me into an amiable, gregarious fellow, who would easily find a "circle". If however the capacity were already latent, then the acquisition of the machine would well facilitate the social enterprise.

The wise owners of "things", therefore, are good at leveraging those things into experiences... and not just personal experiences, but social experiences too.
I see your point, but I will counter often people that buy sports cars love talking about them and tend to open up easier as it gives them a reason to put themselves out there. It’s harder to walk up to a stranger and just start talking.
If you own a mustang it’s pretty easy to go up to another mustang owner and start talking. They usually are quite open and often friendships are started. Often people will come up to you so all you need to do is respond.
After you’ve done this a few times you may find yourself becoming more open and relaxed.
I met my realtor at a car meet.
A year later he facilitated one of the most difficult real estate transactions I’ve ever done. We hang out once a month now and are friends.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:20 AM

27,674 posts, read 28,771,632 times
Quote:
I tell people if you want an experience, go climb Mount Everest.

See how much that experience drains your wallet.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:25 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,120,819 times
Quote:

That might be a pretty big part of it, whether it's subconsciously occurring or not. Both my wife and I have Boomer parents who "own" very little. I think her parents are a little better off after having gotten themselves out of tremendous debt. They may very well actually own their home before they die.

My parents, on the other hand, have always been in mountains of debt while giving off the perception that they are solidly middle class. They don't own their cars, they don't own their home and never will. Until the last few years, they were digging themselves out of tens of thousands in credit card debt. What did they do immediately following that? They went and financed a $50k camper trailer. They are perpetually trapped in their debt prison.

Having seen that and experienced a little bit of it myself in my 20s, I want nothing to do with that lifestyle. Especially considering the very little job security there is these days. I still buy things that I need and that I enjoy. But we generally have a far more conservative spending approach than they ever had. For one thing, we do not plan on having children, because the costs are prohibitive at this point. When you consider childcare, college tuition, and simply living your day-to-day life, we would wind up in mountains of debt if we attempted to be parents ourselves. Today, we do everything in our power to ensure that our endeavors are cash-funded. We have accounts that we fund each month for our nest egg, home maintenance projects, insurance, and vacations.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:59 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,517,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Things like the lastest tech/gadgets, designer clothes, collectibles, home renovations, decorations, high-end household appliances, etc. are nice to have.

Things are nice-to-haves, but are rarely life-changing. Experiences have a higher chance of being life-changing. This may include travelling, road trips, social events, meeting new people, and relationships. Maybe starting a business/side-hustle or creative/artistic pursuits. These experiences aren't always pleasant, but we learn from them, and the satisfying moments are very satisfying.

Many of the things I bought in my 20's collected dust, became obsolete, broke, or served their purpose. And looking back, I wish I had used the money to experience life more.

Also, things aren't going anywhere. You can buy them at any time. If I focus on my career, I'll eventually be able to buy all of the things I want anyway. But it's important to know that you used the years of your life to do the things you wanted to do.

Not entirely true. If you had bought Chanel bags, they increased in value exponentially.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,120,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I tell people if you want an experience, go climb Mount Everest.

See how much that experience drains your wallet.
Experiences don't need to be a once-in-a-lifetime, top echelon of feats in order to be worthwhile. . A lot of travel around the globe is pretty cost effective. Even more so with a strong American dollar. A lot of Americans could be well-served just by traveling the contiguous states, Canada, or Latin America.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:15 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times
Quote:

As a young auxiliary nurse working with geriatric patients back in the uk the best advice I ever got from a patient before she died was “ make memories because those always stay with you, console you, comfort you and bring up fond memories” which isn’t much different than experiences. Living in two countries , and several states I’d say life has been full of interesting, wonderful experiences but why do people have to do either or. Our lives change, needs change ,priorities change, and our health needs change, circumstances etc.

Right now I value keeping healthy.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:18 PM

7,714 posts, read 3,329,666 times
I have made this point before on another thread that was Millennial related. From a young Boomer (last couple years of Boomer that actually was originally classified as GenX) I ate Boomer dust my whole life (difficult to compete for jobs, etc.). I would argue that Work is An Experience too. So, put that in your pipe and smoke it. I never railed against my parent's lifestyle (who were born 1910 and 1924) -- so, I don't get the point of the whole Millennial v Boomer and I think it is one big excuse of a spoiled generation who were helicopter parented and handed too much. ??? I didn't have kids because the world didn't seem good enough to me (and I don't think I was wrong after several decades of observation)).

Old 12-16-2022, 12:18 AM

246 posts, read 121,253 times
First off you can forget the idea that experiencing experiences , over having material things is anything Millennial.

Lots of people have fast cars. However for many of those people they are no experience, they own them as things and they are garage queens. Good for them, but I have to say the experience of driving a great car , appreciating everything , handling , responsiveness, speed, and becoming one with, the vehicle, and the road is an experience I don't ever want to stop having. I know it isn't for everyone.

I have jumped in my car and ended up for that trip in another part of the country, and decided to make it my new home. Because it was full of new people and new experiences and I couldn't see all of that going to waste.

You tube George Carlin , and listen to his "Stuff" bit. Things are something that drag you down.....but for some of you it is stability maybe.

I am now wondering if maybe the OP is thinking of experiencing as thrill seeking? If not I am sure he is a thrill seeker as well.

Having fun has always been my main interest in life. Except when in mid-life I was a superhero busy saving people from evil. The super heros for real , Truck Drivers, Leo's, First responders , now they are our day in and day out experiencers.

I bet the voters for materialistic things are mostly married . On the flip-side I bet the experiencers are single. (this doesn't apply to the Heros and sheros)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology