Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 03:45 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,253 times

Advertisements

A while a go, I had a dream about my first bf of 35 years ago. I left him because he was a gambler and very heavy smoker. At the beginning, he treated me very nicely. But later on, I saw there was no way we could be happy together, so I left. I dreamed that he and I made out in his apartment (some very strange place, not like his apt. before). I did not enjoy it at all. LOL. Very weird, eh?

There was another dream about a different one, who was head over heel about me, but I did not consider him as my bf because he was quite older, shorter and chubby. LOL. I dreamt that he came to my house to see my late Mom (in the dream, my Mom was there). He talked to my Mom quite a bit. She liked him, and she told me he would be a good husband, good provider... when he was leaving (in the dream) he dried to hug me and kiss me, but I try to avoid. He never met my late Mom before. When I woke up, there were tears in my eyes, I felt sad and laughing. This happened when I'm already married for close to 30 years; and my children are grown up. It was a silly dream.

I looked up google, it says that when you dream about someone even when you don't think about him/her, it means that person might have been thinking of you a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 04:20 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
Well how nice for your new bf that also treats you so well.
Have you told him, he deserves to know, and you take whatever consequences.
What? Hell, no. A dream is not an action.

Why should there be an admission, much less consequences, for something someone hasn't even done?

Old 12-16-2022, 05:30 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
OP, the other night, I dreamed about my first girlfriend, we started dating 39 years ago.

My wife and I were talking about her (in good terms) early in the week and a few nights later, I had the dream. Our discussion probably triggered the dream.

I dream often about former co-workers, past offices I worked in, ex-girlfriends, my late father, schoolmates, homes that I lived in, traveling, my siblings and friends (both current & former.)

Old 12-16-2022, 10:12 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Maybe spend some time journaling or meditating on how your time this guy and how it affected your life, then do something to set it to rest, like burning the journal?
While this unnecessary wallowing is taking place, the spouse/partner finds the journal which causes a whole heap of problems.

If the OP is truly bothered by the dreams, seek help from a professionally therapist.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:29 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
Well how nice for your new bf that also treats you so well.
Have you told him, he deserves to know, and you take whatever consequences.
Consequences? You make it sound like having a dream are somehow committing a violation that needs to be confessed, and it is not. That is a tremendous about of unnecessary guilt for someone to put on themselves feeling required to disclose their own thoughts and expecting punishment like they deserve it for this imaginary infraction. That's a very unhealthy way to live.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:45 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,526,744 times
I've had occasional dreams about a girlfriend from 40+ years ago. She's the only 1(old gf) that makes frequent appearances while I'm asleep. I have not had contact with her for decades. She got married less than a year after we broke up. I moved away and lost all contact. FWIW, now that I'm retired the dreams seem to be more frequent. Before I could go 4-5 years and not have those dreams. Now I have this same theme 2-3 times a year. I believe the occurences have increased is due to no more work stress and having to wind down at the end of the day. And honestly, I wouldn't mind running into her again. I'm sure both of us arent the people we were when we were 19. I hope where ever she is, she's having a great life.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:02 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Why would it matter? Dreams aren't real. It would take a special kind of insecure to care what your partner dreams about when they are asleep.
Yes, the dream is not really about that person. It's about a part of the dreamer that was affected by the person and what that person represents. Childish and shallow to think it's about someone the OP cares about more than the partner.

I thought I loved someone when I was young. We flirted and danced around one another but nothing ever came of it. I have dreamed of him off and on all my life. He was what I thought was my ideal when I was young, but we would not have been right for each other. I know the dream is not about HIM, but about that ideal, those perceptions and thoughts I once had that no longer fit.

When I met my current partner, and it was a late-life romance, I dreamed once again about that person from my youth. In the dream I told him that I was no longer interested in him because I had found someone else. I woke up and thought about that dream for quite a while.

The man I was falling in love with was not that perfect man I thought I once wanted; in fact, he was different and a bit odd, and I'd made up my mind to just accept him as he was and enjoy the relationship as it was. The dream I had was saying goodbye to that part of myself that thought I had to meet certain requirements to satisfy the expectations of others.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:15 PM

586 posts, read 320,070 times
You miss yourself at that age.Maybe you felt things intensely were more idealistic or fearless, etc.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:23 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I've had occasional dreams about a girlfriend from 40+ years ago. She's the only 1(old gf) that makes frequent appearances while I'm asleep. I have not had contact with her for decades. She got married less than a year after we broke up. I moved away and lost all contact. FWIW, now that I'm retired the dreams seem to be more frequent. Before I could go 4-5 years and not have those dreams. Now I have this same theme 2-3 times a year. I believe the occurences have increased is due to no more work stress and having to wind down at the end of the day. And honestly, I wouldn't mind running into her again. I'm sure both of us arent the people we were when we were 19. I hope where ever she is, she's having a great life.
I hear you! I think I work harder in dreams now that I'm retired. It seems that we don't have time to really sort out problems at the time but they don't leave us until we do work through them. As the covid lock downs started I would dream that people where trying to invade out house. No doubt I was feeling very invaded at the time.

My mother often snooped through my belongings and listened in on phone calls so I learned early on to never write down personal information since you don't know where it will end up. Sometimes, I share my dreams with my DH but mostly I don't bother him with them.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
"The heart knows reasons that reason knows nothing of"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology