Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 10:06 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times

Advertisements

What does it really mean though? I like to watch the Netflix shows where the young folks all come together and live in a villa. There are various shows. Some are looking for relationships or hookups or jobs.

People are different though. We don’t like the same things. Regardless, you have to be cool to thrive. Do we compromise our values to be cool? Do we instinctively and naturally have “ cool”:genes in our DNA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 02:25 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
To be described as “cool” is a compliment that will never go out of style.

Cool isn't what you say. Cool is what you do -- especially when others aren't looking.
A cool person has intriguing or unique personality, a free spirit. Someone who is well mannered, respectful, kind, intelligent, caring. A person of character. Someone admired and followed for the right reasons.
However, it must come naturally. People who try to be cool, often appear fake.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:05 AM

246 posts, read 120,434 times
A person that is cool , just knows how to act , and its not an act for them. They are just cool . A cool person doesn't care if they are cool or not but they just always are. They know how to relate to everyone , no matter how different anyone may be from them. They are not impressed by other people but are always impressing others, and it is their style they don't try ,they just do. They are totally natural , not at all self-conscious, they do not to ask for advice on how be, they are just themselves and it works.

I believe being cool , is a personality. It is a combination of what we are born with and what people we have met and spent time with growing up.
A uncool person seeing a rockstar is going to get excited and gush over the star and ask for a picture and autograph. A cool person if he even notices the rockstar if he says anything at all to him , it will something he would say to anyone like "what's happening breeze?" and keep walking .

In a nutshell , Being cool , is being natural , confident, and themselves, and it just always works.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:18 AM

629 posts, read 410,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Do we compromise our values to be cool?
I believe for some people a "compromise" is necessary.

I've always seen "cool" and "pleasure to be around" as pretty much synonymous. Some folks have a natural tendency to enjoy bettering the world around them, while others have to work at it.

As an illustration, think of the movie "Groundhog day" where at first the Bill Murray character uses his "gift" strictly for selfish ambitions, and ends up miserable. But eventually learns to use his talents to improve the world of everyone around him.

He learns that the gift is in the giving, and becomes a "cool guy" in the bargain. But, compromise had to come first.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Being "cool" is demographic and cultural specific. I was in Manhattan for a show and having dinner and my SO noticed people coming in restaurant with cowboy hats and western style. She thought it was a spectacle and not cool at all. We discovered there was a rodeo at the Garden . I'm sure those people looked and acted very cool amongst their peers. I'm sure if I was in Alabama I wouldnt be the cool guy.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:33 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
When I think of "cool" I think of the Beatniks who preceded my generation as cultural influencers. There's that not-so-cool word.

https://www.mic.com/articles/69123/5...re-it-was-cool

Jack Kerouac was cool, James Dean was cool, Marlin Brando was cool. Were there cool women? Some jazz was cool. Some poetry was cool.

In that context I think of it as wounded child men with tremendous charisma but an inability to develop intimate relationships with others.

I think the definition today is different.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:28 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Being cool is a postwar American style characterized by effortless or low-effort style. If you have to try too hard, it's not cool even if you end up stylish. You have to hide how hard you tried.

It's a rebellion against the Protestant work ethic because you don't have to work for it (as far as outward appearances go).

Old 01-08-2023, 10:36 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
It’s as subjective as beauty is, depends on The Who and what.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:21 PM

772 posts, read 936,100 times
I thought I was cool.

Then I had teenagers.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:55 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Think Lenny Kravitz. That dude is cool.
Bono is cool.
Matthew Mcconaughey is cool.
Like that.
Unique....completely comfortable doing their own thing. Smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology