Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 02:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,218,422 times

Advertisements

I'd rather just look at my own life and own preferences to find and cultivate what brings happiness.

One person's "heaven" can be another's "hell". Live your own life; all others are taken. Blah blah blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 02:41 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,645,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Traditionally, the countries that score highest have tended to have a lot of homogeneity amongst the demographic breakdown; good, bad , indifferent. Pointing this salient fact out, as it seems the media in their promotion of certain ”globalist” policy goals, tend to avoid talking about areas in large metros in formally relatively safe metro cities which are now acquiring ”No Go” zones which even their own law enforcement cannot effectively control.

I believe this would impact ”happiness” ratings, but, I bet certain questions are not asked.
In a nutshell. The uncomfortable truth the media and it's political cohorts don't want to address is that it's mostly European white people that live, behave, and have families in almost the exact same way that contribute to the way of life that they herald so much. You can go to small towns and cities in the mountain states, the midwest, and the south and find the same demographics with similar lifestyles. If they had the monopoly in most major U.S. cities, the country would look more like Scandinavia.

Old 01-14-2023, 06:17 AM

4,159 posts, read 3,083,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
In a nutshell. The uncomfortable truth the media and it's political cohorts don't want to address is that it's mostly European white people that live, behave, and have families in almost the exact same way that contribute to the way of life that they herald so much. You can go to small towns and cities in the mountain states, the midwest, and the south and find the same demographics with similar lifestyles. If they had the monopoly in most major U.S. cities, the country would look more like Scandinavia.
Yes. Milton Friedman once noted when a student made the statement: “In Scandinavia, we have no poverty”. To which Friedman responded, “In America among Scandinavians we also have no poverty".

Old 01-14-2023, 07:15 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,487,274 times
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/i...ate/index.html

This Finn seems a little uptight about experiencing another culture. I'm not even sure how this made CNN.

Last edited by wasel; 01-14-2023 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-14-2023, 11:12 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Yes. Milton Friedman once noted when a student made the statement: “In Scandinavia, we have no poverty”. To which Friedman responded, “In America among Scandinavians we also have no poverty".
So... I've searched for this phrase, and he did in fact state it. And articles that requote it will usually state that the poverty level of people of Swedish descent in the US is half the US average.

But they give no sources for this statistic. Rather it is just repeated over and over again. This is a common tactic for spreading BS on the internet.

I've been looking online, but maybe my search is lacking? Are breakdowns according to ancestry, region of origin, even done?

According to 2018 US Census Data, the US poverty rate was 11.8%. The highest poverty rate by race is found among Native Americans (25.4%), with Blacks (20.8%) having the second highest poverty rate, and Hispanics (of any race) having the third highest poverty rate (17.6%). Whites had a poverty rate of 10.1%, while Asians had a poverty rate at 10.1%.

So white people (the category that people with Swedish ancestry would fall into) have a poverty rate that 10.1% vs the national average of 11.8%... not a big difference.

Sure, maybe Swedes are extra special white people? But please note, we are ~150 years past the time when the big European immigration happened. They've been assimilated. All my ancestors are German (arrived in the early-mid 1800s), and they clanned together when they arrived in the US as most immigrants do. A generation later though, most of the children did not even learn German. My grand parents who were born in the late 1800s had no connection to Germany and nothing German about them. A person's country of origin or ancestry was never discussed. We were Americans. I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what my ancestry was until I was an adult!

Old 01-14-2023, 11:40 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
This page presents 4 different "Quality of life/ Living standard" ratings. HDI is mostly economic, but the others include other factors. The US doesn't make the top 10 in any, but averages around 17th-18th in the world.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ing-by-country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology