Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 09:26 AM

846 posts, read 684,328 times

Advertisements

I didn't make this thread to discuss specifically which items are on my bucket list, but rather how the thought process behind making one was changed.

Years ago, I'd copy ideas from other bucket lists online. And I'd try to add the most epic things to the list. It's a cool looking list, but the question is: Do I really have a burning passion for these things, or did I just put these things on that list just for bragging rights to say I did them?

* Going skydiving would be a flex and an amazing photo op, but do I really want to do it?

* Do I actually want to do a marathon? I decided if I am going to get in tiptop shape, I'd rather use it on some sport I have a passion for.
* Even if I could travel to hundreds of countries, would I want to spend so much time away from family, and on 13 hour flights to and fro?
* Visiting historical monuments and such. Great photo op, but the actual activity of doing that itself, I find only fun for a few minutes.
* I noticed many of the things I added to my list were moreso things related to artistic hobbies and such (i.e. writing a book, writing songs, etc). Much smaller scale and budget, but to me, still fulfilling.

There are still some cliche bucket list stuff I'd like to eventually do, such as experience zero gravity, drive a supercar at high speed, but those are on the lower portion of my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 10:29 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,987 times
That’s great that you’re putting more thought into this, considering what you really want, rather than just what is a popular thing to say you’ve done. I also respect your implication of priorities - that some things are higher or lower than others.

After living a bit & reading NDE’s, I feel that learning and loving well are top priority for me.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:29 AM

5,010 posts, read 593,737 times
Default Thought process behind a Bucket List

Well, this is embarrassing because my bucket list is not exciting or adventurous.

I have zero desire to experience major achievements or accomplishments during my lifetime.

All I want to do is adopt more pets.

I do what I feel passionate about.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:01 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Hmm. If I ever had what is known as a bucket list it has been fairly short. To each their own. People are individuals in how much they expect to get from the world they live in. I don't recall needing a formal thought process to come up with mine. Just seemed to know what was on it. The list seemed to revise itself on its own as circumstances changed. My life isn't over yet so can't say I have many regrets. Hopefully never will. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe I am easily satisfied.

IMHO, it is certainly possible to overthink it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-22-2023 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 06:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,905 times
from the OP:

"Do I really have a burning passion for these things,
or did I just put these things on that list just for bragging rights to say I did them?"

well, i vote a split ticket.
1. i would like to see a Solar Eclipse (burning).
2. Iceland (bragging).

currently, my question about buying/doing things is:
do i want this so other people will know i have it/done it,
or do i want it for an actual charity/emergency/need?

Old 02-23-2023, 02:08 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,050,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
I didn't make this thread to discuss specifically which items are on my bucket list, but rather how the thought process behind making one was changed.

Years ago, I'd copy ideas from other bucket lists online. And I'd try to add the most epic things to the list. It's a cool looking list, but the question is: Do I really have a burning passion for these things, or did I just put these things on that list just for bragging rights to say I did them?

* Going skydiving would be a flex and an amazing photo op, but do I really want to do it?

* Do I actually want to do a marathon? I decided if I am going to get in tiptop shape, I'd rather use it on some sport I have a passion for.
* Even if I could travel to hundreds of countries, would I want to spend so much time away from family, and on 13 hour flights to and fro?
* Visiting historical monuments and such. Great photo op, but the actual activity of doing that itself, I find only fun for a few minutes.
* I noticed many of the things I added to my list were moreso things related to artistic hobbies and such (i.e. writing a book, writing songs, etc). Much smaller scale and budget, but to me, still fulfilling.

There are still some cliche bucket list stuff I'd like to eventually do, such as experience zero gravity, drive a supercar at high speed, but those are on the lower portion of my list.
To me the only thought that ever goes into a bucket list are things I have always wanted to do but haven't. Like join an archery and camping club. Meet at different state parks, have potluck dinners and make good, lifelong friends. I would like to learn to golf, just little things I always wanted to do. I think the object of the game is to be content, happy, and most of all, peaceful during the golden years. Nothing stressful or too physical for my age. I love to travel and shop, so I tend to go on weekend shopping trips to Eureka Springs in AR and love the sport of Rodeo. I go to a lot of rodeos and love to be around horses. It's all in what you really want to do, things you really want to do before it's too late. Run a marathon? I would be picked up by an ambulence about ten yards from the starting line. If I jumped out of an airplane, I either lost my mind or dropped my purse. I don't care to do crazy things that are meant for other people who enjoy them, but fulfilling things, like sketching my grandkids, things like that.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
I've never done a bucket list. I've never even thought about one. The whole concept is foreign to me.

If one lives in the present moment and appreciates it, as I've come to do, then there is no need to strive or perform or achieve. Now is all we have and the key to happiness is to be here, now.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
"What is on your Bucket List" is a frequent corporate icebreaker. And... I hate it.

Most people respond with the things that you mentioned that are very Instagramable or brag worthy or really, just trips that they could do if they made the decision to spend the money.

I don't look at a Bucket List in that way at all. I have a very short list of things that I really want to either make happen or am very, very hopeful that I get the opportunity to do them and will make sure I don't pass it up.

One thing that was on my list that I have been able to cross off was watching a building implosion live and close up. It didn't disappoint!

Old 02-23-2023, 07:58 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,970 times
Great thought provoking post. I had a bucket list in the late 1990’s and I was crossing stuff off in a fury of travels between lifetimes. I need to dig that list up. The only thing I can remember that I know was not checked off of the 2990’s bucket list is boating in fjords.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:52 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I've never made an actual list, but at 65, I am thinking about things I've never done, or experienced, and places I've never visited. I even think about books I want to read.

For me, it's more about experience than acquisition of material things.

I think having a bucket list gives those of us in the last third or less of our lives, control and direction. Instead of letting things happen to us, or waiting for others to make it happen, the fact that our time on earth, has an end that is in sight, forces many older people to take control and to make choices.

A mild feeling of dissatisfaction propels us in our youth, to want more. There are people, who at some point, give up. They don't attempt to initiate change or seek new experiences. A restless spirit is a sign of vitality. Complacency is a sign that there is nothing left to do. Or accomplish. That life has been lived. People who choose this path are comfortable living through their grandchildren or children. Some are happy this way.

As for myself, that is just not the way I think. I want to use and enjoy every moment of my life.

Now I think I will think about and write down my own "bucket list". I think that I have a big bucket and a lot of time, but awareness that life has a limit, isn't depressing, it's fact.

I am a great fan of lists, notebooks and journals. I think I will do this tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology