Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 07:07 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times

Advertisements

Interesting that his is supposedly so widespread.

I've certainly sometimes found - and likely you may have, too - that I'm with a group that is smarter or more successful or richer. But it doesn't make me think I'm an imposter. It just makes me happy to be there.

Why Everyone Feels Like They’re Faking It
The concept of Impostor Syndrome has become ubiquitous. Critics, and even the idea’s originators, question its value.

Imes’s original paper identified two distinct family patterns that gave rise to impostor feelings: either women had a sibling who had been identified as “the smart one” or else they themselves had been identified as “superior in every way—intellect, personality, appearance, talent.” The pair theorized that women in the first group are driven to find the validation they didn’t get at home but end up doubting whatever validation later comes their way; those in the second group encounter a disconnect between their parents’ unrealistic faith in their capacities and the experience of fallibility that life inevitably brings. For both types of “impostors,” the crisis comes from the disjunction between the messages received from their parents and the messages received from the world. Are my parents right (that I’m inadequate), or is the world right (that I’m capable)? Or, conversely, are my parents right (that I’m perfect), or is the world right (that I’m failing)? This gap gives rise to a conviction that either the parent is wrong or the world is.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ostor-syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 07:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
I don't feel like an imposter.

Who is this "everyone"?

Old 03-11-2023, 08:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Perhaps this 'imposter' phenomena has grown prevalent since the advent of people engaging in online communities and social media where they are pretending to be something they are not or only representing their perceived notion of what makes them popular?

And much of which is probably not representative of what discerning people would observe in a face to face setting?

Old 03-12-2023, 06:28 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Never even heard of this and I certainly never felt like an imposter so I'm sure the title of "everyone" is wrong. Hard to give credibility to an article like this. Just because someone says something is true doesn't make it true.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:41 PM

25,952 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Oh, no! Not another syndrome to blame behavior on.

Any writer that says "everyone" is wrong at least 99.9% of the time.

Well, I am superior to my sibling in every way, but was never acknowledged as such by my parents or anyone. I wonder if that is some kind of syndrome? HAHAHA

Old 03-12-2023, 06:58 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
I'm kind of wondering how much of this is generational--I'm GenX and identify with imposter syndrome quite often. The general demographic of this forum is Boomers and maybe older, which many, as we've seen by the comments here, never question themselves to the point where that's the stereotype of people their age.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:24 AM

12,838 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting that his is supposedly so widespread.

I've certainly sometimes found - and likely you may have, too - that I'm with a group that is smarter or more successful or richer. But it doesn't make me think I'm an imposter. It just makes me happy to be there.

[b]For both types of “impostors,” the crisis comes from the disjunction between the messages received from their parents and the messages received from the world. Are my parents right (that I’m inadequate), or is the world right (that I’m capable)? Or, conversely, are my parents right (that I’m perfect), or is the world right (that I’m failing)? This gap gives rise to a conviction that either the parent is wrong or the world is.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ostor-syndrome
This left out the type I've most seen that feels imposter syndrome -- I'm surrounded by people who seem much smarter than me, yet I'm very successful at what I'm doing and get picked to lead the smarter people.

I've felt it at times when I was in college as well as at work. My daughter has told me several times that she felt that way in college and when she started working. She's felt surrounded by very brilliant people, yet she was elected president of her physics club in college. And has been promoted at work. She's felt "how can I be in charge of all these people who are smarter than me?"

The best answer I can give is "because she gets things done." It's one thing to be brilliant and sit around waiting for inspiration to strike and another to roll up your sleeves and make it happen.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:10 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This left out the type I've most seen that feels imposter syndrome -- I'm surrounded by people who seem much smarter than me, yet I'm very successful at what I'm doing and get picked to lead the smarter people.
And has been promoted at work. She's felt "how can I be in charge of all these people who are smarter than me?"

The best answer I can give is "because she gets things done." It's one thing to be brilliant and sit around waiting for inspiration to strike and another to roll up your sleeves and make it happen.
I remember reading once
The A students (brillant ones) are the employees of the B students
The C students own the small business
The D students are in charge of the major corporations.
The F students run the country.

So your situation fits in rather well with this.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:39 AM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Imposter Syndrome was made popular by The Big Bang Theory in 2019:

Old 03-13-2023, 01:09 PM

11,083 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Can't relate. Must be click-bait and/or a slow day at that media outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology