Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 11:20 AM

5,123 posts, read 2,175,466 times

Advertisements

When I look at todays youth, I see many kids who almost dress frumpy on purpose. They certainly have de emphasized and almost shunned beauty IMHO. I’m seeing this trend extend to Hollywood as well. Movies and commercials now utilize very average looking actors which is a big pivot from the era that I grew up on when beauty was king.

We now live in different times. Society now goes out of its way to placate the lowest common denominator so in that regard, it greatly helps those that are less attractive.

That said, people always seek beauty. This trait is innate and difficult to eradicate but it’s getting better!

Old 07-16-2023, 11:28 AM

41 posts, read 13,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I may be repeating myself, but, an unattractive woman, particularly with a homely face, can't do much to become more attractive. At least not to be attractive to me. Even if an overweight gal loses weight, she may actually look worse with her clothes off, with baggy skin.

But a guy has more options. He can work out and get ripped. He can grow a beard.

Combine that with the fact that most men are more visual in terms of attraction, and, yeah, many unattractive women are not going to have much for dating prospects.

It ain't fair, but life in general ain't fair.
yup, just like the unfairness of men always having been expected to approach women and be the initiators, do the asking out, start the courtship phase, etc., Thats why i find it more shocking to hear of a woman reaching an age like 33 and having been alone her whole life, like the OP claims, normally those cases are male dominated.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:41 PM

19,749 posts, read 12,312,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is an old 1970s comedy movie with Stockard Channing in which she plays a homely woman who is mocked and made fun of, until in despair she jumps in her car and drives fast until she gets into a serious accident.

She requires plastic surgery, and emerges beautiful, getting lots of attention from men, including some who were cruel to her before. Then she proceeds to murder them.

ETA: Just looked it up and realized the screenplay is by comedian Joan Rivers, who did a lot of routines about her own plastic surgeries!

The Girl Most Likely To... https://g.co/kgs/9HSWFN
I remember that movie from when I was a kid. It was such an interesting concept at the time. I felt so bad for the character and was rooting for her.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
When I look at todays youth, I see many kids who almost dress frumpy on purpose. They certainly have de emphasized and almost shunned beauty IMHO. I’m seeing this trend extend to Hollywood as well. Movies and commercials now utilize very average looking actors which is a big pivot from the era that I grew up on when beauty was king.

We now live in different times. Society now goes out of its way to placate the lowest common denominator so in that regard, it greatly helps those that are less attractive.

That said, people always seek beauty. This trait is innate and difficult to eradicate but it’s getting better!
Sometimes I'm so surprised how bad people look in the videos they post - women with stringy looking hair and no makeup with sloppy looking clothes and a messy room. Guys who don't even try, and take an angle shot of their three sweaty chins.

Maybe this does help the rest of us feel a little better. But that doesn't work on everyone, I just feel bad for them, and for a society that is ok with such low standards and decorum.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:33 PM

88,767 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitratelover217 View Post
yup, just like the unfairness of men always having been expected to approach women and be the initiators, do the asking out, start the courtship phase, etc., Thats why i find it more shocking to hear of a woman reaching an age like 33 and having been alone her whole life, like the OP claims, normally those cases are male dominated.
That's not true, of course, because I've known a number of women in that position, but I think that while men tend to complain and be more open about it, particularly these days with the popularity of the incel and MGTOW groups, women who are unsuccessful at finding partners quietly fade into the background and don't bring as much attention to their perpetually-single state.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:55 PM

12,099 posts, read 8,487,670 times
I don't know if maturity has skewed my perception or if it's just the trend of people not appearing to try any more but I think fifty years ago there were much less outright unattractive people than there are now.

I'm not talking about head turning beauty but simply people who look healthy and clean. Seems like it's become so important to stand out in a crowd that the only people I notice are those who go to some kind of extreme.

I love it when I see someone on the street who just has that look of okayness with themselves and others on their face. Don't see much of that.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:32 PM

I think emphasis on appearance is very high now. People pick on small imperfections and bully people over little things, so maybe there is some kind of backlash. A woman who is average looking makes an effort to look more attractive and is called ugly or trying too hard. Men being taunted for not being tall. Something about a "canthal tilt" on the face, whatever that is. It's like OCD or some kind of body dysmorphic disorder.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:24 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,175,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sometimes I'm so surprised how bad people look in the videos they post - women with stringy looking hair and no makeup with sloppy looking clothes and a messy room. Guys who don't even try, and take an angle shot of their three sweaty chins.

Maybe this does help the rest of us feel a little better. But that doesn't work on everyone, I just feel bad for them, and for a society that is ok with such low standards and decorum.
Yes indeed! My wife and I were at a stop light over by University of Washington here in Seattle a week ago. We looked over and saw 50 or or so kids all under the age of 21 were lined up to enter a concert or some type of event. My wife who is definitely a clothes horse turned to me and said “can you believe this?” It was not a compliment! The light turned green and we drove away. Just as you say, we felt bad for them!

When I was that age, times were different. It was fun to get dressed up a bit to go out and meet potential dates. It was never overdone but you left the apartment looking fresh in an ironed shirt and pants and a nice pair of shoes with a hint of Polo or Drakar Noir cologne. People had pride in their appearance. This attitude very much carried forward into business life as your appearance was super important for your image.

These days? It just doesn’t matter. It’s as if they are competing to see who can look the most disheveled.

It makes me glad I grew up in the 80s and 90s, that’s for sure!

But to answer the original question, with the bar set so low, it would seem like a great time for an unattractive women to stand out a bit from the frumpy crowd.

Get you body right. Find something that burns calories, walking, running, gym and get in shape. Most kids are 20lbs overweight so get fit! Wear some nice clothes and smile! Be social and talk to people. A woman that looks well put together will get attention, guaranteed!

Last edited by pete98146; 07-16-2023 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 05:35 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,867,751 times
Enjoy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqFVWzOfN8

Old 07-16-2023, 06:39 PM

22,106 posts, read 13,115,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sometimes I'm so surprised how bad people look in the videos they post - women with stringy looking hair and no makeup with sloppy looking clothes...

Maybe this does help the rest of us feel a little better...I just feel bad for them, and for a society that is ok with such low standards and decorum.
I, for one, am pretty low-maintenance. As I like to say, I was once what was known as "a natural beauty." Without making any effort whatsoever, I enjoyed gorgeous thick and shiny hair, perfect skin and teeth, dark brows and lashes, a dark complexion with "roses" in my cheeks, and a great figure -- until a few short years ago and menopause. Now, making the exact same effort (none at all), not so much! But the habit is now ingrained; it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology