Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2023, 08:37 AM

1,076 posts, read 564,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Older people who question the facts as presented by authorities who have ulterior motives -- understand how the game works better than those who simply believe what they are told. It's called life experience which is something you have to earn and can't be given. No trophies, sorry.
Older people are often the targets (and victims) of scams, more than any other age demographic. They are just as vulnerable to faulty thinking and perception as anyone else.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://www.theblaze.com/news/fsu-pr...racted-studies
These sorts of studies come out periodically:

"A Florida State University professor who focused on racial data and research in the criminal justice system has left his job after years of accusations that claimed his data was dishonest, resulting in many of his studies being retracted....

Without directly commenting on the situation, Pickett told the Florida Standard that there is a "huge monetary incentive to falsify data and there’s no accountability. If you do this, the probability you’ll get caught is so, so low.”

There’s too much incentive to fake data and too little oversight," he added."
Well, for one, you've linked to a far-right media outlet.

Secondly, there isn't a whole lot of coverage on this. It seems like the few articles I uncovered are from right leaning periodicals. However, this is a story of one (potentially rogue) professor at one university. That's not enough to support the idea that there is some wide ranging systemic problem being covered up. This is not "gotchya" proof of that. More investigating would need to be done.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:06 AM

3,168 posts, read 1,035,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Well, for one, I have no idea the context around that snippet that was conveniently put together to paint this very particular picture of an aloof broadcaster. Was the fire part of the protest? Was the broadcaster aware of the fire prior to going on air? That clip doesn't tell us much of anything, and certainly doesn't automatically tell me that this broadcaster was trying to deceive his audience intentionally.

Secondly, you need to steer clear of most television news media, particularly the opinion shows. Those are mostly trash. MSNBC and Fox News are not exactly unbiased news outlets.
Many broadcasters commented similarly, on different channels, CNN etc. For days, weeks etc. They all said:"Peaceful demonstrations" and we could watch buildings on fire around them. If this is not deceiving, I don't know what is. I don't have the patience to find the clips on youtube now. Talk about manipulating the masses...At the time I thought:"Is this a joke, is this for morons?"

I don't watch the news channels anymore but I'm informed. Although the majority of people do that, they watch the news. And they are influenced by it. Every single day. And then, they vote and voting has consequences. As John F Kennedy said, “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”

I don't comment about fixing cars since I'm clueless about the subject. If I had to vote for x or y method of fixing a car, I would not vote at all because I know in my heart that I'm ignorant regarding this matter.

We can see the results of this ignorance now in society. A total confusion everywhere. Not good.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Many broadcasters commented similarly, on different channels, CNN etc. For days, weeks etc. They all said:"Peaceful demonstrations" and we could watch buildings on fire around them. If this is not deceiving, I don't know what is. I don't have the patience to find the clips on youtube now. Talk about manipulating the masses...At the time I thought:"Is this a joke, is this for morons?"

I don't watch the news channels anymore but I'm informed. Although the majority of people do that, they watch the news. And they are influenced by it. Every single day. And then, they vote and voting has consequences. As John F Kennedy said, “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”

I don't comment about fixing cars since I'm clueless about the subject. If I had to vote for x or y method of fixing a car, I would not vote at all because I know in my heart that I'm ignorant regarding this matter.

We can see the results of this ignorance now in society. A total confusion everywhere. Not good.
It's generally not a good idea to consume a whole lot of cable news. But that said, I see people who criticize cable news bias who seem completely fine with ingesting whichever far leaning sources that fit their own personal biases and agenda. There are a good amount of relatively centrist news sources that offer up decent analysis or primarily report the facts. I'm sure if I posted such a list, there'd still be a decent amount of outrage and disagreement. Cognitive dissonance is prevalent; we see what we want to see.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:41 AM

21,981 posts, read 9,565,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because even "verified facts" can be cherrypicked, biased, outdated, changed, influenced, fluid, or out of context.

People used to think COVID came from animals, now it's widely accepted it came from a lab leak.
This. I have this friend from LA. I use to send him stories or tell him stuff that was going on. I knew he would not like some of it. Historically, the has been politically agnostic but that's almost impossible now. One lovely friend of my said on her FB if you voted for 45, I am not your friend. So I unfriended her. It broke my heart. She was also one who never had a clue of anything that was going on.

So I sent my friend these stories that we all know are not being reported by MSM and he goes to the 'fact checker' sites and we all know who those people are. So there's not getting through that level of brainwashing.

OP's assertion that it is easy to fact check is false. It's easy to "fact check" if you are on one side of the political spectrum.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,264,047 times
Quote:
That particular issue remains unresolved. The exact origin is dubious.
That wasn't the point. I never said it was proven to be a lab leak. The point was that the lab leak theory was dismissed as a conspiracy theory and shouted down as dangerous disinformation early on now later has been brought back as a credible possibility. And that change wasn't due to evolving information about the virus. It was probably due to changing political winds.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,264,047 times
Quote:
Older people are often the targets (and victims) of scams, more than any other age demographic. They are just as vulnerable to faulty thinking and perception as anyone else.
People over the age of 65 can both be more often the target and more often less gullible at the same time. Certainly over the age of 65 increases the prevalence of senility and other loss of function issues. Scammers find them. But the majority of them who retain their faculties have a lifetime of lessons learned.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That wasn't the point. I never said it was proven to be a lab leak. The point was that the lab leak theory was dismissed as a conspiracy theory and shouted down as dangerous disinformation early on now later has been brought back as a credible possibility. And that change wasn't due to evolving information about the virus. It was probably due to changing political winds.
Shouted down by whom? And what were their reasons? Do you know? Does anyone here actually know, outside of the regurgitated information they're picking up from their political spheres? Surely, accusing another country of being responsible for a global pandemic has major ramifications. Accusing them without surefire evidence could also carry catastrophic consequences. I'm not picking a side, and clearly it's still up in the air. But jumping to the conclusion that it must have started in a Chinese lab is not exactly better than claiming that it wasn't or that we don't know that it was.

Last edited by digitalUID; 04-11-2023 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
People over the age of 65 can both be more often the target and more often less gullible at the same time. Certainly over the age of 65 increases the prevalence of senility and other loss of function issues. Scammers find them. But the majority of them who retain their faculties have a lifetime of lessons learned.
I think you're referring to wisdom. And sure, I'll give you that. There are a lot of wise, older people amongst us. But wisdom doesn't always mean smarter, and it certainly doesn't always guarantee relevance. For instance, there are lot of wise, old people who wouldn't know the first thing about securing a job in today's market. They wouldn't know the first thing about dating in today's dating environment. There are lot of old, wise people who think that WFH cannot be effective. There are a lot of old, wise people who think that $7.50/hr is an adequate wage. There are a lot of old, wise people who think that EVs or autonomous vehicles are a farce. There are a lot of old, wise people who incorrectly believe that living in the 1950s was a superior human experience. Wisdom can often be trumped by ignorance, biases, and a general lack of relevant experience. Wisdom doesn't mean you know better today just because you did yesterday. Things change. And unfortunately, the older you get, the more susceptible you are to being stuck in your old ways.

Last edited by digitalUID; 04-11-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 12:07 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:
Well, for one, you've linked to a far-right media outlet.

Secondly, there isn't a whole lot of coverage on this. It seems like the few articles I uncovered are from right leaning periodicals. However, this is a story of one (potentially rogue) professor at one university. That's not enough to support the idea that there is some wide ranging systemic problem being covered up. This is not "gotchya" proof of that. More investigating would need to be done.
You immediately attack the source as a far right media outlet (which it probably is), without going to the facts of the situation. You believe the sources you want to believe without getting into the actual facts. You have your preconceived notions and dismiss potential "facts" that don't fit your paradigm.

You've answered your own question with your own responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology