Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 07:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Same for me. I could read and watch TV at the same time.
Funny thing. When I’m reading, I HAVE to have the tv on. If I don’t, I’m fast asleep in a couple of pages. It’s almost like I need something to concentrate against.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:29 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Funny thing. When I’m reading, I HAVE to have the tv on. If I don’t, I’m fast asleep in a couple of pages. It’s almost like I need something to concentrate against.
I have long loved reading but sleep apnea has hampered it a lot in recent years. Sometimes TV t00. I drop off a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 10:45 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I used to be really good at multitasking on a workstation when I was about half my current age. Not so much these days. Besides, multitasking is an inefficient way to work, since it takes extra time to switch tasks. Better to focus on one thing at a time for at least an hour.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Our brains evolved to do one task at a time. Even when we think we are multitasking we might be zig zagging back and forth between multiple task. I make lists of task that I can get done in a; month, week or a day and check off things on the list.

Old 04-21-2023, 06:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Our brains evolved to do one task at a time. Even when we think we are multitasking we might be zig zagging back and forth between multiple task. I make lists of task that I can get done in a; month, week or a day and check off things on the list.
Before multiple core processors, computers did the same thing, they just did it really fast. And your brains evolved to do many things at once - like listening and looking out for danger as you are eating.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Before multiple core processors, computers did the same thing, they just did it really fast. And your brains evolved to do many things at once - like listening and looking out for danger as you are eating.
When I feed birds I notice that one or two birds perch on a fence about four feet from the dozens of birds that are feeding. Periodically they will leave the fence to feed and two other birds will replace them. They are watching out for the feral cat. My dog waits patiently while I eat and I toss him a morsel when I am done. What you describe might be something alleviated by forming groups. How do you listen and look out for danger when you sleep? There is actually a catch phrase called ,"The Myth of Multitasking." All the journals write about it.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
When I feed birds I notice that one or two birds perch on a fence about four feet from the dozens of birds that are feeding. Periodically they will leave the fence to feed and two other birds will replace them. They are watching out for the feral cat. My dog waits patiently while I eat and I toss him a morsel when I am done. What you describe might be something alleviated by forming groups. How do you listen and look out for danger when you sleep? There is actually a catch phrase called ,"The Myth of Multitasking." All the journals write about it.
And again, what's the point? What most people MEAN when they say multi-tasking is multi-task loading and the ability to rapidly switch between tasks such that they can complete or make progress on multiple tasks within a small block of time, making efficient use of the gaps in tasks since few tasks require 100% continuous focus. And I think most people chanting "multi-tasking is a myth" are just trying to make excuses for their inability to task load. Note that what the OP is unable to do is task load not multi-task.

If I'm your boss and I stop by your desk at 8am and give you a 3 hour task due by end of day, stop by at 10am and give you a 4 hour task due at 3pm, then stop by after lunch to give you a 1 hour task needed right now, you are going to be a favored employee if you have all the tasks done at 5pm and not so much if you have only one or none of them done because you "keep getting interrupted". In the real world you don't always get to work on tasks serially.

Birds are birds. Plenty of other animals that are solitary and learn to fend for themselves while carrying out life tasks.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
And again, what's the point? What most people MEAN when they say multi-tasking is multi-task loading and the ability to rapidly switch between tasks such that they can complete or make progress on multiple tasks within a small block of time, making efficient use of the gaps in tasks since few tasks require 100% continuous focus. And I think most people chanting "multi-tasking is a myth" are just trying to make excuses for their inability to task load. Note that what the OP is unable to do is task load not multi-task.

If I'm your boss and I stop by your desk at 8am and give you a 3 hour task due by end of day, stop by at 10am and give you a 4 hour task due at 3pm, then stop by after lunch to give you a 1 hour task needed right now, you are going to be a favored employee if you have all the tasks done at 5pm and not so much if you have only one or none of them done because you "keep getting interrupted". In the real world you don't always get to work on tasks serially.

Birds are birds. Plenty of other animals that are solitary and learn to fend for themselves while carrying out life tasks.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...f-multitasking

Research in neuroscience tells us that the brain doesn’t really do tasks simultaneously, as we thought (hoped) it might. In fact, we just switch tasks quickly. Each time we move from hearing music, to writing a text, or talking to someone, there is a stop/start process that goes on in the brain.

That start/stop/start process is rough on us. Rather than saving time, it costs time (even very small micro seconds). It’s less efficient, we make more mistakes, and over time, it can sap our energy.

https://www.apa.org/topics/research/multitasking
Psychologists who study what happens to cognition (mental processes) when people try to perform more than one task at a time have found that the mind and brain were not designed for heavy-duty multitasking. Psychologists tend to liken the job to choreography or air-traffic control, noting that in these operations, as in others, mental overload can result in catastrophe.

People I know who will swear that they can multitask have had at some point what I refer to as a "deadline break down." They wind up having to have some one come to their aid and either physically or mentally get them through. Procrastinators are the greatest purveyors of the multitasking theory.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...f-multitasking

Research in neuroscience tells us that the brain doesn’t really do tasks simultaneously, as we thought (hoped) it might. In fact, we just switch tasks quickly. Each time we move from hearing music, to writing a text, or talking to someone, there is a stop/start process that goes on in the brain.

That start/stop/start process is rough on us. Rather than saving time, it costs time (even very small micro seconds). It’s less efficient, we make more mistakes, and over time, it can sap our energy.
If neuroscience says that you cannot cook dinner and have a conversation at the same time then neuroscience is wrong. And people who can switch tasks rapidly and get several tasks done within a given slot of time are not working less efficiently. They are getting more done. All the babble in the world isn't going to change the fact that some people are more productive than others.

As I said, life does not often present tasks serially.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
If neuroscience says that you cannot cook dinner and have a conversation at the same time then neuroscience is wrong. And people who can switch tasks rapidly and get several tasks done within a given slot of time are not working less efficiently. They are getting more done. All the babble in the world isn't going to change the fact that some people are more productive than others.

As I said, life does not often present tasks serially.
cooking and talking at the same time is kind of a low bar to set for doing two task at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology