Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 09:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think of it as a matter of centering - being in a focused state of mind for the task you are doing. If your thought processes are rapid and you're sensitive to a wide variety of stimuli that may be more of a challenge.

I notice as I age that the task of transitioning from one behavior to another to requires more conscious effort than it used to. This is particularly true if I am transitioning from an introverted to an extraverted task.

A couple of for instances would be if I were reading and someone asked me suddenly to say a few words to a group of people. Or if I were outside pulling weeds and received a business phone call.

"Switching hats."
Actually, I can do that quite quickly, step up to the bat (podium) and talk to people. I did it last week at my Friend's wake.

Now, it may be from being a dive leader, an actress, a command member, a mimic.......or my ability to shift my personalty a number of points to one side or the other, or at times, that I become a different person. I suppose that last one, being an actress, and a mimic are just different intensities of the same skill......or something.

But A and B. A: Direct and quick, it can be in 7 seconds with "Activate Agent Racquel". B: But it could just be something as simple as what I learned in being a writer that my characters must not be reflections of each other.....and they must not be reflections of me. So I write my characters so they are all different and as such, I have in my head lots of people, so to speak, that I know intimately.

SO-o, I suppose a question here might be.....with such compartmentization of the mind, as we get older, do those walls break down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 03:06 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Now, if I could just disperse the loneliness and be happy with what I got.

On another front, so much searching for a SO and almost always a failure and even worse, people are so rude, hang ups and ghosting without a word. It's almost enough to make one give up......but one can't give up on the want of intimacy.
This may likely be due to a rural Texas Hill Country location and reduced number of quality and available SO's. If you were in Alaska and put up a post on a dating site that said "Single Lady" you would likely be overwhelmed. "Single Lady With A Pickup Truck" you would have to beat them away with a stick.

Getting out personally into groups that interest you is WAY better than personal ads. Lots of nice folk in Sacred Harp singing (and you don't even have to be religious). Here's a list of monthly sings in Texas, are you near any of these towns?

Monthly Sacred Harp Singings in Texas

Remember, your always better off in no relationship than the wrong one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Actually, I can do that quite quickly, step up to the bat (podium) and talk to people. I did it last week at my Friend's wake.

Now, it may be from being a dive leader, an actress, a command member, a mimic.......or my ability to shift my personalty a number of points to one side or the other, or at times, that I become a different person. I suppose that last one, being an actress, and a mimic are just different intensities of the same skill......or something.

But A and B. A: Direct and quick, it can be in 7 seconds with "Activate Agent Racquel". B: But it could just be something as simple as what I learned in being a writer that my characters must not be reflections of each other.....and they must not be reflections of me. So I write my characters so they are all different and as such, I have in my head lots of people, so to speak, that I know intimately.

SO-o, I suppose a question here might be.....with such compartmentization of the mind, as we get older, do those walls break down?
Your mind and personality are just utilizing and having fun with all your built up life skills and experiences. Just go with it and don't worry about future walls.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
This may likely be due to a rural Texas Hill Country location and reduced number of quality and available SO's. If you were in Alaska and put up a post on a dating site that said "Single Lady" you would likely be overwhelmed. "Single Lady With A Pickup Truck" you would have to beat them away with a stick.
The thing is that it seems most of the men out there are so downright undesirable......I don't them anywhere near my home, let alone know where it is.
Quote:

Remember, your always better off in no relationship than the wrong one.
How true.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:13 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldimoveorstayput...? View Post

/ if you were in alaska and put up a post on a dating site that said "single lady" you would likely be overwhelmed. "single lady with a pickup truck" you would have to beat them away with a stick.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology