Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 02:15 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

The only thing he ever talks about listening to is public radio. I think he goes to the symphony once in a while, be he's never once mentioned to listening to music on his own. If you mention any popular recording artist, he probably won't know who you're talking about. In fact, he's told me several times about the day he tried to buy a car and asked if he could get one without a radio.

Why is he supposed to mention what he listens on his own unless you ask him.

I really don’t understand how you or anyone can draw conclusions or diagnose a person based on a keyhole view of their life .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 02:17 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Being a reserved person does not mean you are "on the spectrum."

Old 05-21-2023, 02:56 PM

7,486 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yeah, it's kind of a "big deal" to go around diagnosing people who have a different personality from yours or even from the American norm as being autistic. That's pretty ignorant.

What people do is insult someone and then they feel superior. It is the cheapest boost available for someone's faltering self esteem Actually working on yourself is too drawn out.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:09 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I want to comment on some of your posts, but I have limited time at the moment.

It did occur to me since posting this that my friend's biggest issue seems to be not his choice of hobbies, but his approach to them. He seems to gravitate towards the most challenging options. For example, if he wants to learn about a given topic he will find the most difficult-to-understand book ever written on the subject, then later tell me he couldn't get through it because it didn't make much sense. His friends will suggest finding easier reading material next time, he will act like that makes sense, but he won't actually do it.
Maybe Stan is a masochist?

Old 05-21-2023, 03:19 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I have a friend who is a computer science engineer, retired. He knows nothing about normal things, like cooking, plants, everyday things a normal adult would have some knowledge of. Has a house in Phoenix, with a backyard that could be fantastic, but he does nothing with it. He only talks about computers and aeronautics. That's it. The simple things, he just jokes about, really can't give a reasonable response. His jokes miss the mark all the time. He's finally married at 66 and they live in separate houses. There are just people that are not street smart at all!!! I mean nothing. They can not be changed, especially at his age.

Oh edit~~ everything he references, is from the 70's or 80's
This definitely sounds like Stan, especially the jokes and the very outdated pop culture references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You write that "my friend does not seem willing (or capable?) of taking advice."

Why are you trying to give him advice? Let him do what he wants to do!

I'm not understanding your extreme preoccupation with this.
His friends give him advice because he ASKS for it. He asks people for basic life advice more than anybody else I know. So when I tell you that we were making suggestions for what to do in retirement, it's because he repeatedly says he can't retire yet because he has no idea how he'd fill his time.

Besides, when did it ever become bad or unusual for friends to give each other advice? He's given me advice too, on a few occasions.

My "extreme preoccupation" with this basically began after people grossly misinterpreted my intentions for posting about it here.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
I've come to the realization after reading all the replies to my posts that I was looking at this from the wrong perspective all along. The question on my mind from the beginning was not, "Why does my friend choose hobbies that aren't all that enjoyable?" but rather "Why does he choose that hardest approaches to the things he likes to do?"

In other words, if he wants to learn more about programming, why, after many failed attempts at high level classes, does he not take a lower level class where he can really absorb the knowledge he wants without the stress, and later on move up to the higher lever stuff?" That's what was bothering me from the beginning, only I couldn't quite put my finger on it until now.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:19 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I haven't read all of the responses on this thread but it sounds like Stan takes a Puritanical approach to life. He might be getting a great deal of self-satisfaction from his pursuits but he doesn't outwardly show it. He may enjoy the challenge but outwardly, he is stoic about his enjoyment.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:40 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Let's play Devil's Advocate, though. What is Stan DOESN'T enjoy life? I think it's safe to say some people don't. A fair number commit suicide and bail out of it, while others just endure it until it's over. Still others do their best, but don't find modern life particularly enjoyable. I'm not currently enjoying my life, although I have in the past and still hold out hope that I will in the future. That probably describes quite a few people, as life is a series of highs and lows. So, let's say Stan isn't enjoying his life; what's the actual question?

Old 05-22-2023, 11:42 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
My friend who lives in Key West from NJ said "All they do in the NE is go to work and come home and watch tv." Thats why.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:29 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I've gone back and read the posts that I skipped over.

Why does Stan have to retire? Is there an age cap? How does he know that he won't know how to fill all his time? After retirement, he may find that he has plenty to do. Also, at least his health is good. At least he doesn't HAVE to retire because he can't function at his job.

Nothing stated indicates that he is on the spectrum. If he has a regular group of friends, that indicates that he is not ASD. ASD usually means that the person does not understand social cues. As a result, relationships often fall apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology