Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 02:59 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,866,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So sorry you are going through this. Have you soght professional help?
Yes have gone to several therapists but I don't find it helpful. Maybe I should keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Look for volunteering opportunities where you're helping individuals directly. I think this would help. Maybe a soup kitchen or something like that. Not only might it fulfilling to help others, you might connect with other volunteers there and have an activity that builds up your resume too. When you do part time work AND community service, another part time job you might favor more is more likely to hire you too or if you're real lucky, maybe even a full time job.
That makes sense. Good post.

Old 08-02-2023, 03:10 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Yes have gone to several therapists but I don't find it helpful. Maybe I should keep trying.
Therapists are human and they're all unique. A client doesn't always mesh with one. It could also be that your view of what might be going wrong has changed or become clarified over time. The next counselor you contact might be a great fit/help for you. No therapist on their own can solve the problem but they can guide. It could be that you weren't quite ready to see how. Maybe you are in a better position now. Let's hope! Good luck OP!

Old 08-02-2023, 08:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
The universe is telling you it's time for a reset. You've been stuck in a doom loop because you've been letting life happen to you rather than co-creating with it. Here's how to get out of the rut. First thing to do is change your diet. Your diet affects your brain. Usually depressed and anxiety ridden people overindulge on sugar, dairy, and carbs. Those have to go for a little while to give you the reset and peace you need mentally. Start buying fresh fruits and vegetables and replace your sugar cravings with them and fresh lime/lemon water. The electrolytes and antioxidants from the lemon water will quench your body, detox it, and send those nutrients up to your brain to aid in the elimination of the brain fog and anxiety. Hot water will provide a meditative effect and soothe your nerves even further. Have that every morning.

The next thing to do is to get in touch with yourself (I know, cliche) and ask yourself what is it that I want in a friend (or friends)? The universe can't manifest people into your life without an idea of what kind of people you want. Do you want friends that are go-getters and entrepreneurs? Do you want a friend whose talkative that will support you and be there for you? Do you want friends that are laid back? Think about it and write it down. Write down how you would feel with this group or one friend.

The next thing is to get a new job. Before you go job searching, write down an idea of what you think a good job looks like to you. Pays you 2 or 3x more that what you're making, full time, 401k, hour long breaks, nice employees, 2 consecutive days off, etc. Give yourself the freedom to dream. Don't be outlandish but optimistically realistic. I have done this for years with these exact same listed wants and manifested the job I wanted shortly after. Don't go crazy and sad if you don't see the job immediately. It will come, you just have to relax and passively look. Change your energy in your current job and work in gratitude and say thank you daily for my awesome new job and it will come.

This is a woo-woo way to do things but you have nothing to lose. It cost nothing to try this. The best of luck and blessing to you.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
You seem pretty overwhelmed with everything on your plate.

I agree with the other posters who mentioned counseling. Doesn't mean you're 'crazy', but a counselor can help some of us navigate life and be a bit more objective about our own reality. Sometimes, we become so engrossed by our own feelings, that we can't see the forest for the trees.

Your biggest fear seems to be in being alone. But what is it about being alone that makes you so afraid?
I guess it's not having anyone to share things with. Life is just a bit better with good friends and laughter. I feel like I want someone to just connect and bond with. I haven't had that in a long time. You are busy and don't get much alone time but things are more fulfilling. And I have concerns about when im old. Suppose I succumb to dementia or something, how would I even know how to take care of myself and who would I even leave my will or money to etc.

Unfortunately this fear has been on going off and on since I was a toddler.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:35 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,684,449 times
www.meetup.com can be a good website too. Look up things that you are or might be interested in. Then you can go to a meeting with that interest and it doesn't have to feel awkward because you can always ask a new person about the interest you joined for at a minimum.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:20 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
And I have concerns about when im old. Suppose I succumb to dementia or something, how would I even know how to take care of myself and who would I even leave my will or money to etc.

Unfortunately this fear has been on going off and on since I was a toddler.
One suggestion here I can help with because I face it myself. I have been single forever and am obviously aging. I have a medical POA/physician's directive on file with my PCP, the local hospital, with a copy accessible at home. As for my money, I have no obvious heirs to consider but I don't lose sleep over where my property might go. For one thing, I won't be there to object. I've never really cared about piling up a huge estate. I've left the majority of my assets to a couple of non-profits I've supported for years and prepared a will that's on file with a state licensed trust company, with a copy accessible at home. They will act as my executor when the time comes. Of course, they'll charge a fee for their time but frankly, so what? Hard to penny pinch or quibble from beyond the grave. Even with the executor fee taken off the top, the non-profits will still benefit to some degree. Better than a kick in the head, right? I've also bequeathed a couple of more sentimental family heirlooms to relatives I know will appreciate them.

That's it. Cross that particular little worry bead off the list. I find one of the best ways to deal with some small nagging worries is to make a plan, take action, and reach a decision, not continue to fret over them. Gives you "permission" to move on to the next thing and the next. Many decisions, certainly not all, a person makes do not end up etched in stone. They can be revisited if necessary.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-03-2023 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The universe is telling you it's time for a reset. You've been stuck in a doom loop because you've been letting life happen to you rather than co-creating with it. Here's how to get out of the rut. First thing to do is change your diet. Your diet affects your brain. Usually depressed and anxiety ridden people overindulge on sugar, dairy, and carbs. Those have to go for a little while to give you the reset and peace you need mentally. Start buying fresh fruits and vegetables and replace your sugar cravings with them and fresh lime/lemon water. The electrolytes and antioxidants from the lemon water will quench your body, detox it, and send those nutrients up to your brain to aid in the elimination of the brain fog and anxiety. Hot water will provide a meditative effect and soothe your nerves even further. Have that every morning.

The next thing to do is to get in touch with yourself (I know, cliche) and ask yourself what is it that I want in a friend (or friends)? The universe can't manifest people into your life without an idea of what kind of people you want. Do you want friends that are go-getters and entrepreneurs? Do you want a friend whose talkative that will support you and be there for you? Do you want friends that are laid back? Think about it and write it down. Write down how you would feel with this group or one friend.

The next thing is to get a new job. Before you go job searching, write down an idea of what you think a good job looks like to you. Pays you 2 or 3x more that what you're making, full time, 401k, hour long breaks, nice employees, 2 consecutive days off, etc. Give yourself the freedom to dream. Don't be outlandish but optimistically realistic. I have done this for years with these exact same listed wants and manifested the job I wanted shortly after. Don't go crazy and sad if you don't see the job immediately. It will come, you just have to relax and passively look. Change your energy in your current job and work in gratitude and say thank you daily for my awesome new job and it will come.

This is a woo-woo way to do things but you have nothing to lose. It cost nothing to try this. The best of luck and blessing to you.
Thank you for your post. Wish I could just snap myself out of this.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Therapists are human and they're all unique. A client doesn't always mesh with one. It could also be that your view of what might be going wrong has changed or become clarified over time. The next counselor you contact might be a great fit/help for you. No therapist on their own can solve the problem but they can guide. It could be that you weren't quite ready to see how. Maybe you are in a better position now. Let's hope! Good luck OP!
You're right. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:28 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Beautiful post! I would also agree to look at many of your issues from a health standpoint. I’m right in 5he middle of reading a book by Dr. William Davis called Super Gut. 96% of the western world has lost a gut bacterial species called L Reuteri. Many of the symptoms you describe could be helped by making yogurt containing this strain. It’s easy to do and not overly expensive.

Lots of stuff on YouTube on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology