Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 03:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,790,608 times

Advertisements

When I was kid, I had a best friend who was the same age as me, and lived 'behind' me on the next block. In fact, ALL of my childhood friends lived on that block.

At 9 years old, I moved about 2 hours away. My best friend and I wrote letters to each other. I would call her occasionally, and it seemed that those phone calls led to us seeing each other again. I'd spend a week or so at her place, or she'd come to where I lived.

As time went by, I had other friends. In high school, local college. Moving away again, marrying, etc. Even moving overseas for a spell.

While overseas, I realized that I had spent over $700 -- in one month -- trying to keep in touch with my "friends" via phone. They were always happy to hear from me, to the tune of spending one or two hours on the phone with me.

But one day I realized that *I* was the only one making the effort to keep the friendship going. *I* was the one making the phone calls. *I* was the one writing the letters (snail mail, obviously, before the internet). Had it not been for *my* effort to keep the friendship going, I would probably never hear from them again.

Folks, PLEASE MAKE the effort. If you have someone in your life, that you consider to be a friend, and they haven't heard from you in a while, pick up the phone. CALL them. Let them know you've been thinking about them.

Trust me, it will be worth your while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 12:11 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,961 times
I'll admit that I'm an extremely lazy person and don't often make the effort you recommend, Mink57. I am wired for solitude and don't have much to say to friends who have moved away, coupled, married or bred. I wish them well but, as time moves on and we have fewer common memories or experiences to bring us together, there's less reason to pick up the phone.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:53 AM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Is there a Psychology question in there?

Old 08-13-2023, 04:32 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
My definition of a friend has more to do with honesty. If the phone bill bothered me, I would casually mention something about it so that if there are fewer phone calls in the future, they would at least have some understanding of the reason.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:44 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Of course, someone may not "make the effort" in order not to be a pain. I have one friend who I let call me. That way, I know he wants to talk. I don't want to be "that guy" where people don't want to pick up the phone (it might be because I've known too many of "those guys"?). If they call me, then I know they're cool with the contact. (It depends on the person in question.)

But frankly, I give people a couple chances and then I rely on "actions speak louder than words." If I invite you to do something two or three times and you're too busy and don't let me know when you're free, or if I'm always initiating contact, even though you say otherwise, I'm probably going to assume you're not interested and let you go; I'm not going to keep annoying someone who doesn't want to hear from me. So I have to say I don't have many relationships in my life where I'm making all the effort.

Old 08-13-2023, 03:57 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
as time moves on and we have fewer common memories or experiences to bring us together, there's less reason to pick up the phone.
I was thinking similarly. Sometimes you are friends simply out of proximity, whether it was living in the same neighbourhood or going to school or work in the same place. Once that ends, relationships often tend to fizzle out when you don’t have that same connection any longer.

I don’t keep people in my life where the effort is all one-sided. I also recognize when it’s time to let go and not force something that once was to continue on.

I feel like it’s more rare to keep a friendship going when that person isn’t part of your daily life and you rarely see them. It take a special connection to overcome time and distance.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:08 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I would ask "why?"

I guess I maintain all my old relationships via social media. Touch base, comment on life events, see what they are up to... and I think this works great.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-13-2023, 05:26 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I prefer to chat via email, don't like to talk on the phone. I would email one friend, and she would email back, "call me!"

We still exchange birthday and holiday cards, and sometimes I email her, she occasionally calls me.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:21 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Had it not been for *my* effort to keep the friendship going, I would probably never hear from them again.

There's the reality. After enough time it's not worth the effort. Move on.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
Agreed.. I’m not much of a phone talker but I try to text a friend if I haven’t heard from them in awhile to let them know I’m still thinking of them.

I Audi tend to be someone who tends to over think things and doesn’t want to be a pain or a nuisance so sometimes I talk myself out of calling not wanting to bother them.

A lot of my friends are married with kids and I’m not so I don’t like to bother them a lot since they’re busy but I try to stay in touch still and hangout so they know I still love them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology