Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM

462 posts, read 969,262 times

Advertisements

You guys are giving me some great reading material that I am going to check out. I am happy that I now know it is a problem & I want to make some changes. Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, whether we admit it or not, I think just about every CD poster is an attention junkie. After all, when you come to the site, what's the first thing one typically does? We say, "Oh, look, I got several reputation comments!" And then we go to that page to see what nice things all the fellow posters said about us. Heck, the validation is what's so addictive about this.
Really couldn't care actually. I mean it's nice people leave comments, but this is the first forum I've belonged to that does that and it was never the reason I joined. Most of the forums I belong to deal with motor racing and cars and since my interests are a bit narrow for the general public, it was a great way to talk with like minded people and debate topics I wouldn't otherwise talk about in daily life. Basically it's an outlet for me to express ideas and debate topics. Not to find approval from random people I don't know.

But's that's just me.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,020,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpieheaven View Post
I am reading a book called 'Approval Addiction'. I have always had the need to please everyone. I have always cared about what others think about me. It is important to me for people to like me. I hate conflict and have actually ended my marriages by giving them everything just to keep things on a friendly level & to avoid the battle.

I am finally realizing there is an underlying root to this & am working on figuring it out. I just wondered if any of you find yourselves in this position?
Oh good heavens no. I'm 50 now and that's been over for a good 20 years. I don't give a fatratsass whatthehell anyone thinks of me anymore. That's their problem. I sometimes think "Maxine" was named after me.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 AM

616 posts, read 1,163,202 times
Unfortunately, I spent most of my years on this planet this way. I realized my efforts were futile. A, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" existence. So...

(Well) it's alright now, I've learned my lesson well...Can't please everyone, you've got to please yourself.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpieheaven View Post
I am reading a book called 'Approval Addiction'. I have always had the need to please everyone. I have always cared about what others think about me. It is important to me for people to like me. I hate conflict and have actually ended my marriages by giving them everything just to keep things on a friendly level & to avoid the battle.

I am finally realizing there is an underlying root to this & am working on figuring it out. I just wondered if any of you find yourselves in this position?
Yes, so please feed my addiction by repping this post

(coudln't resist)

Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM

462 posts, read 969,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, so please feed my addiction by repping this post

(coudln't resist)
lmaooooooooo.......... you are so easy to please

Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,658,278 times
What my son and God thinks of me matters. No one has to like me, I do not have to like them - but there are many people I do not like, and the respect and same for them toward me. I do my best when I can, I do what I know and feel is right as much as humanly possible, I love, I like, I dislike like much the rest of the human race does -. . . but I do not hate. As Marilyn Monroe once said, "If you cannot accept me at my worst, you do not deserve me at my best."

Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,950,812 times
I thrive on other people's disapproval of me. In this crazy world, it restores faith in my own sanity when so many crazies out there disapprove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology