Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?

Teeth. Absolutely. Every guy i've dated has a beautiful smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Agreed -- grammar, syntax, and vocabulary are huge to me.
Another factor I watch out for is the "depth" of their conversations. Even if they speak properly, I have noticed some people are rather shallow; other individuals, meanwhile, may not be shallow but do not articulate themselves very well and I can sense they are not deep thinkers. This is HUGE to me, because intelligence, education, and erudition are big turn-ons - nay, prerequisites - for me.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Those are the MOST important areas for me as well.

I could never assess or judge someone based on their possessions (car, jewelry, etc.) because that is just too shallow.

Secondary ways that I assess people:
I do however look at peoples hands and fingernails though but this is mainly a cleanliness and self grooming issue. Dirty fingernails, fake nails, or real nails that are just way too long usually cause me to say "Blech!".
Self Esteem - the way they carry themseleves and their posture says a lot. Do they should not slouch or appear unkept or Sloppy.
How they treat others - Being kind is important. How people treat their servers at restaurants, holding doors for others, watching their language when in presence or ear shot of children or the elderly, etc. This is basic common courtesy. It doesnt get much worse then hearing people use bad language when they know that children or elderly are nearby.
Hygiene is a basic requirement that I don't even think about it; I assume people I'll meet will or should be clean and well-groomed.

Self-esteem: I absolutely cannot stand people who moan, whine, pout, and lament about an issue they have. We all have problems, but that's life. If one only complains but takes no action whatsoever to solve the problem, I will summarily distance myself away from such people.

Common courtesy is also a given. I've noticed a lot of people don't say "please." I do use it - perhaps I'm formal, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
I've never thought of looking at someone's shoes to determine 'who they are', but to a degree it makes sense. I, like one other poster, if I see a man wearing flip flops, I think he's a looser. While I owned and operated my business, I wore cowboy boots to work most of the time. They weren't fancy, jut plain old black cowboy boots. Today I have many pair of cowboy boots and some are a bit on the fancy side, I will probably wear cowboy boy boots if we are going out dancing, I couldn't ever wear tennis shoes for that. One indicator I always looked for while I was in business was what kind of watch a man wore. Usually if he wore a Rolex he could well afford my services. For that same reason, if I was car shopping, I left my Rolex in my car or out of sight. I've notice many people make remarks about my watch over the years. Another thing I've noticed about Rolex's, they don't keep perfect time.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 AM

46 posts, read 31,369 times
I look at shoes; after I get to know them I look at their ability to articulate and defend their thinking.

I often play devils advocate with someone whose opinion I agree with just to see how they defend it.

I avoid people who have never given thought as to why they believe something. I work with a super liberal guy from California. (he makes Nancy Pelosi look like Genghis Khan)

I love to challenge his thinking because he has very sound reasons for his stances.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
While I try not to, I can't seem to help myself from judging people by their grammar and pronunciation. Years ago I was casually seeing a woman for a few weeks when she said "I seen your friend Drew..." and I made an instant decision that I didn't want to see her anymore.

I guess it is no coincidence that my wife worked part time at a library during high school and college before getting degrees in business communication and English literature and then going to law school.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
While I try not to, I can't seem to help myself from judging people by their grammar and pronunciation. Years ago I was casually seeing a woman for a few weeks when she said "I seen your friend Drew..." and I made an instant decision that I didn't want to see her anymore.

I guess it is no coincidence that my wife worked part time at a library during high school and college before getting degrees in business communication and English literature and then going to law school.
So that "I seen" popped out of nowhere after a few weeks? That seems strange.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Teeth. Absolutely. Every guy i've dated has a beautiful smile.
Ok you are repeating yourself, we get it that you can hook the cream of the crop

I got dental braces for this very reason lol..... Coming up on 2 years having them this upcoming December, I can't wait till my treatment is over..... Better late then never as I'll have them off well before I turn 30, but I'm 29 now.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Trump has good teeth is he a good man to you? You can't judge a book by the cover.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Trump has good teeth is he a good man to you? You can't judge a book by the cover.
Hilarious! A guy with good teeth can get you bombed into oblivion by North Korea. Beware the good teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology