Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM

600 posts, read 1,608,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you obviously are not aware of how much parents sacrifice for their children
LOL Yes, I DO - which is EXACTLY why I'm not having any .

Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Almost 30 years in EMS, 19 in nursing most of it ER. No they are not. I've treated elderly people who have been assaulted by tweens. I've treated the victims of drive by shootings done by teens and early 20's. I've also treated the abused children and elderly.

You should see some of things kids to each other. Oh in that way some are quite imaginative. Of the two most vicious crimes I've ever treated the survivors one was a child abuse and the other was perpetrated by a 12 year old. Childhood innocence is cultural myth.

The OP made the comment that people who don't like kids have some sort of disconnect between childhood and now. Most people I've heard make that sort of comment live in ivory towers and refuse to see the world around them. If I have "lost my innocence" it's been sacrificed on the alter of parental neglect and entitlement.
evidently you didn't see my post where i clearly said that teenagers were an exception

Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
but those individuals who simply don't want kids because it will interrupt their "great life" are pretty damn selfish
I know I'm gonna get killed for this, and I'm partially joking, but I just can't help myself:

I think it's pretty selfish when parents let THEIR kids interrupt some aspects of OUR "great life"!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM

382 posts, read 758,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
LOL Yes, I DO - which is EXACTLY why I'm not having any .
Exactly. Before people consider having children they should think about what they put their parents through.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So I should reproduce and be miserable?? Come on!! You can't seriously believer your own statement. Just because I want my freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want doesn't make me selfish. Its very smart.
the ultimate selfish statement

Quote:
At least I don't bring a child into this world and pawn them off to their grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-great grandmother, auntie, or the foster system!!!
yeah, because that's what all parents do

Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
Exactly. Before people consider having children they should think about what they put their parents through.
I agree.
Aside from the fact that I don't really "get" children and really don't have the patience to deal with not only them, but the pregnancy, labor and all kinds of other scary stuff that comes with it (one of my friends just had a baby a year ago, so I've heard some really scary and *sorry* disgusting stuff from her about the whole "beautiful miracle of life"). Aside from that, I have some other (in my opinion) valid reasons:

1. I don't think it's a good world to bring a child into.

2. I was a horrible child.

3. I don't want to be a single mother but I also do NOT want my child to go through his parent's divorce (I went through that as a child and it seriously messed me up) - and let's face it, the chances of a successful relationship are just not very high these days. Not just a lasting relationship, but a HAPPY and HEALTHY one.

3. I have bad genes. Lots of terrible diseases in our family. Heart problems, diabetes, cancer.. you name it - we've got it. So no, I don't want a child with these genes.

4. I WILL be an overprotective and controlling mother, and my child will hate me. I don't want that.

5. I am SO happy that I went through teenage years and managed not to get pregnant, hooked on drugs and alcohol, or ended up with some disease like AIDS or something. I was lucky. And somewhat smart, I guess. I don't want to go through the same worries AGAIN by having a child go through that stage.

To sum it all up: I guess, yes, life is just a lot simpler when you don't have kids.

I am, however, a nice person, and I love to take care of my partner, my family, my friends and my cat. I am just not a fan of kids.

Last edited by sweetheart1311; 03-19-2010 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
9 times out of 10, parents that have to deal with difficult children have themselves to thank for that. an unruly child is the result of a lack of discipline

as i pointed out a few posts ago, i was actually a well behaved little boy coming up. you can credit that to the fact that i had a great mom who raised me right

i didn't act up in public, i was respectful to adults ( yes ma'am, yes sir), and for the most part i always did what i was told

Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM

382 posts, read 758,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I agree.
Aside from the fact that I don't really "get" children and really don't have the patience to deal with not only them, but the pregnancy, labor and all kinds of other scary stuff that comes with it (one of my friends just had a baby a year ago, so I've heard some really scary and *sorry* disgusting stuff from her about the whole "beautiful miracle of life"). Aside from that, I have some other (in my opinion) valid reasons:

1. I don't think it's a good world to bring a child into.

2. I was a horrible child.

3. I don't want to be a single mother but I also do NOT want my child to go through his parent's divorce (I went through that as a child and it seriously messed me up) - and let's face it, the chances of a successful relationship are just not very high these days. Not just a lasting relationship, but a HAPPY and HEALTHY one.

3. I have bad genes. Lots of terrible diseases in our family. Heart problems, diabetes, cancer.. you name it - we've got it. So no, I don't want a child with these genes.

4. I WILL be an overprotective and controlling mother, and my child will hate me. I don't want that.

5. I am SO happy that I went through teenage years and managed not to get pregnant, hooked on drugs and alcohol, or ended up with some disease like AIDS or something. I was lucky. And somewhat 5. I am SO happy that I went through teenage years and managed not to get pregnant, hooked on drugs and alcohol, or ended up with some disease like AIDS or something. I was lucky. And somewhat smart, I guess. I don't want to go through the same worries AGAIN by having a child go through that stage.

To sum it all up: I guess, yes, life is just a lot simpler when you don't have kids.

I am, however, a nice person, and I love to take care of my partner, my family, my friends and my cat. I am just not a fan of kids.
I couldn't agree more. I would never make a good father and seriously can't think why my parents decided to have me. I couldn't go through with half my mother has endured.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I am a nice person. And I like SOME children. I like my own, and most of their friends (not all) and some of my friends children (not all).

Nobody likes everyone, and "children" are no exception. Some of them are downright horrible.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:14 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
9 times out of 10, parents that have to deal with difficult children have themselves to thank for that. an unruly child is the result of a lack of discipline
Good kids who aren't disciplinary problems can be extremely taxing on their parents as well--it has nothing to do with upbringing. My friends who have children tell me stories of what they go through that make my resolve to never have children solid. Up all night with sick kids, cleaning up messes and accidents, temper tantrums (you'll say discipline, but try to keep a toddler from having a tantrum.)

Those who say children are innocent and pure obviously haven't seen a kid try to blame something he or she did wrong on someone else, be willfully cruel to another child, or lie to get what they want. It happens every day, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology