Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM
pbm pbm started this thread

8 posts, read 14,476 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Looking at a home in the above areas and have a few questions:

As far as waterfront homes, is PGI more desirable than houses across the harbor in Port Charlotte? Does it justify the cost difference? (assuming similar homes).

What about property farther up the Myakka river past the El Jobean bridge?

We are still debating whether to move down there while the kids are still in middle/high school or wait about 7 years until they graduate and then go.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,011,993 times
PGI is a very nice area. We considered moving there, but we got a blockbuster deal on our waterfront home in Port Charlotte a couple years ago. PGI is deed restricted though, so there are rules (no boat trailers parked on the property, no vehicles with advertisements left outside, landscaping regulations, etc...). The rules help keep the neighborhood nice. There are several nice waterfront areas of PC as well. Check out the beach complex area, grassy point, West Spring Lake, and the other canals leading into Alligator Bay.
If you are a boater, you should know that PC has 8 and 10ft bridges, where PGI has mainly 12 and 14ft bridges.
We also looked at several homes in Gulf Cove (right next to the El Jobean Bridge). Tiny yards. Very nice, quick access to the river and harbor though.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi HH,

Thanks for the reply and insight! I knew PGI was deed restricted, but your examples really hit home. Almost like an HOA

One of the houses I am looking at is across from Gulf Cove. No other bridges but the El Jobean bridge.

Do you have children going to the schools there? Any difference in schools between the two areas?

Another question: considering the demographics there, are 'upscale' homes worth the investment in Port Charlotte? Is there a demand for those types of homes or do most people go with the older 70s/80s built homes?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,942,213 times
HH made some very good points. Another point is that the city of Punta Gorda maintains the seawalls in PGI and that's not the case in Port Charlotte/South Gulf Cove and El Jobean.

Many of my friends who live in PGI send their kids to Charlotte Academy. The other option is Sallie Jones Elementary. I've heard good things about this school. Last I knew it was one of the few "year 'round schools".

As far as El Jobean goes there's really not much to it. There are a few streets with some mobile homes, there are a few smaller block homes built in the 1960's and then a handful of newer homes. Incidentally, the name El Jobean came from the guy who named the town. Joel Bean (El Jobean Is his name scrambled up).

If you're looking at South Gulf Cove then you'd be looking at going through a lock system. Also the distance out, in most cases, is pretty far.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-23-2011 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,011,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm View Post
Hi HH,

Thanks for the reply and insight! I knew PGI was deed restricted, but your examples really hit home. Almost like an HOA

One of the houses I am looking at is across from Gulf Cove. No other bridges but the El Jobean bridge.

Do you have children going to the schools there? Any difference in schools between the two areas?

Another question: considering the demographics there, are 'upscale' homes worth the investment in Port Charlotte? Is there a demand for those types of homes or do most people go with the older 70s/80s built homes?

Thanks!
Our son is not quite 2 yet, so nope, not in school. Whether in the El Jobean, PC, or PGI area, it's all Charlotte County Schools, which are A rated. I know several parents who seem to like the schools.
There are a broad mix of homes, and people buy all across the board. If you ask 100 people what type of home they prefer, you will likely get 100 different answers. If money is no object, then surely a newer custom home is likely the answer. An older home will likely be much less expensive, unless it has been completely updated.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the responses HH and SoFlGal.

Good to hear the schools are good.

I did take a boat through the locks at South Gulf Cove. Nice area and although a bike of a ride, looks like some nice boating areas (skiing, etc).

Do you think it would make more sense to buy a newer custom home for $350K+ and then move in 7 years? Or buy a sailboat home in PGI/Charlotte Harbor for $190K-$250k (smaller and most likely built in the 70s/80s)?

I ask this from two points of view:
* Which would appreciate more in 7-15 years?
* Which would be easier to rent?

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Historically waterfront has appreciated more than non waterfront but would think renters would prefer a newer home.

The insurance should be much less on the newer home. Is the $350k a home on the water or just a custom home? If the $350k home were on the water I'd probably pick that home.

It's a bit hard to give a specific recommendation without seeing the homes we're talking about. I would tend to lean toward the best location/sailboat water home. Remember location, location, location.

That's my .02

Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,159,651 times
PGI has one major down point...

Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
PGI has one major down point...
Yup the initials are BH

Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,159,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yup the initials are BH

spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte