Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
pbm pbm started this thread

8 posts, read 14,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Historically waterfront has appreciated more than non waterfront but would think renters would prefer a newer home.

The insurance should be much less on the newer home. Is the $350k a home on the water or just a custom home? If the $350k home were on the water I'd probably pick that home.

It's a bit hard to give a specific recommendation without seeing the homes we're talking about. I would tend to lean toward the best location/sailboat water home. Remember location, location, location.

That's my .02
I think worth more than $0.02

Both homes are waterfront. The custom home is up the Myakka river, so there is the El Jobean bridge to deal with. Property manager says maybe can get $1400/mo for it.

The other home is sailboat property (no bridges) and relatively quick access to the harbor. It's just built in the 70s and has that 70s look. Property Manager says might get $1100 for that one because of location.

I agree with location, location, location and that is definitely a factor

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
I love the homes in PGI too. I bought a canal house in PC because I couldn't justify the price difference in 2008; feature for feature, 50-75k more in PGI.

Things I would have liked about PGI:
New homes
Closer boat trip to the harbor/pass (my current house is 2.6 miles from open throttle)
Concrete seawalls
I love downtown PG.
People can't leave their trash can on the street for weeks at a time.
People can't park 4 cars in the yard every night.
No Habitat for Humanity Homes being rented out across the street from you.

Things I like about where I am in PC/Murdock:
Visiting Dad parked his motor home in our yard for 6 weeks each in 2008, 2009
Installed a boat lift cover in 2009. (PGI doesn't allow)
Our boat lives on the lift but our trailer stays in our side yard; great for maintenance, hurricane threat.
My work truck, with a window logo, can be parked in my driveway overnight.
No HOA fees.
and the number one reason I like PC over PGI......
No homes across the canal from me so I can "refill" the canal as needed.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Yup the initials are BH
I'm sorry - I don't get It. What does this mean???

Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm sorry - I don't get It. What does this mean???

BH = me. Big House.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
Quote:
Yup the initials are BH
Bahaahaahaahaahaa!

Ehhh...ahhhh.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here is some information on Punta Gorda Isles:

Punta Gorda Isles (PGI) is a large upscale waterfront community in Punta Gorda FL. With city water and sewer and close proximity to I-75 and US 41, Punta Gorda Isles is convenient to all services and amenities and close to downtown Punta Gorda, Fort Myers and Naples. Punta Gorda Isles was once swampland dredged by General Development Corp. in 1957 to create a maze of seawalled saltwater canals. Canals in Punta Gorda Isles are 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and the seawalls and canals are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda. This is a primarily a boating, golfing and country club neighborhood with pretty Spanish tile roofs and a strong homeowner’s association to help maintain value.

You’ll find alluring street names like Aqui Esta, Via Paloma and Santa Margerita in the older section and bird names like Whippoorwill, Plover and Turtle Dove in the newer area.
Punta Gorda also has a restored downtown area only a few blocks from Punta Gorda Isles that will send you back in time with quaint brick walkways, gas lights, fine food and interesting shops and art galleries while Fisherman’s Village is the gem of the waterfront, with lots of shopping and dining. The city of Punta Gorda appeals to families, retirees and winter residents. There is a strong civic pride and very active civic organizations in the Punta Gorda area. Ponce de Leon Historical Park and boat ramp are at the western end of Punta Gorda Isles. The Punta Gorda Yacht Club is located on the harbor and is always a popular place for visitors and residents alike.

Here is some information on Waterfront Communities in Port Charlotte:

With the Myakka and Peace Rivers as well as some 165 miles of idyllic man-made waterways, Charlotte County offers some of the most beautiful waterfront communities in this part of Florida. While the local area is nothing short of stunning, the properties here are also still among some of the most affordable on the Southwest Coast of Florida. Charlotte County waterfront communities afford residents with the ability to enjoy a small town atmosphere while at the same time maintaining easy access to the best of waterfront living.

Grassy Pointe is a small gated waterfront community that features spectacular million dollar homes and even more breathtaking views.

South Gulf Cove is an expansive area that is situated near Englewood and offers miles and miles of access to the Gulf of Mexico.

El Jobean is situated right before the bridge that crosses the Myakka River. If you are looking for a waterfront community that has managed to retain timeless appeal and a sense of what Old Florida once was, this is the ideal location.

Gulf Cove offers a blend of waterfront mansions and more modest homes situated along the Myakka River. Englewood is only a short distance away.

Harbor Heights is situated upriver from the Peace River and offers some of the area’s most spectacular waterfront properties as well as a spacious park.

Throughout Charlotte County you will find a pleasing mix of condos, single-family homes and expansive waterfront estate homes. Whether you are looking for a gated community, deed-restricted community right on the water or a luxury waterfront estate, you will find plenty of amenities in the local waterfront communities, including landscaping, clubhouses, tennis, spas and community swimming pools. Prospective buyers who love water sports, boating and fishing will love the idyllic waterfront communities of Charlotte County.

Last edited by TamRE; 08-12-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
The town of Punta Gorda, was founded on land purchased after the civil war by Col Trabue. He originally named the town Trabue, Marian Street is named after his brother, and several streets are named after people he knew. His original "cracker house" land sales office is preserved and open for tours at the historical park - which has other examples of historic homes and cracker style houses. The hold a farmers market there on Sundays.

Originally Punta Gorda (called Fat Point) by the Spaniards was settled by Ponce De Leon, who brought the first cattle, pigs and other live stock that they used to set up a settlement here. Ponce De Leon, got in a fight while he was here with some local indians, and was shot by an arrow - he retreated to Cuba, and that is where he died.

Gilchrist park, which is along the water was land donated by Gilchrist who was one of Trabue's surveyors.

Punta Gorda became one of the first incorporated towns in SWFL when some of the land owners met one night and held an election to become incorporated, and change the name of Trabue to Punta Gorda. They changed the name, and Trabue became incensed and returned to Kentucky.

Trabue traded land to the owner of the rail road in Arcadia in exchange for him bringing the rail road to Punta Gorda. (It then became the southern most rail road extention in the country). Cattle ranches could bring their cattle to Punta Gorda and ship them north to market - where as before they loaded most on boats and sailed them to Cuba and they were also sold to the islands and S. America. The historic Rail road station is still here, and has been refurbished. It has white and colored waiting rooms.

The gentleman that trabue traded land for rail road with, built a huge resort hotel along the water, and people from all over the north would come here to vacation. Thomas Edision and Henry Ford (who have estates in Ft. Myers available for tours), used to train down from Detroit and winter in Ft. Myers. When they arrived here, they would then board a ferry to continue down to their estates.

The parks in town have many early examples of Banyan trees which Thomas Edison imported to Florida for some of his research. There is a colony of green parrots that live in the trees at Gilchrist Park - the are rumored to have escaped during hurricane charlie and were pets. They are supposedly still alive and thier many offspring are not afraid of humans and will follow them around and talk to them as they walk or ride through the park.

More history later.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM
pbm pbm started this thread

8 posts, read 14,474 times
Thanks for all the great information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte