Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just wanted to take a second and introduce myself before posting a lot of questions. My wife and I just relocated to PGI from Va. We rented for six months, decided we loved the area and have recently bought a canal home. We will be full time residents. Now on to some questions regarding fishing and boating the harbor. And thanks in advance for any info.

Any recommendations on a company that installs boat lifts in the area?

I am researching for a boat that I can use for cruising and fishing. I am not looking to take it pass Boca Grande. Most folks have recommended a bay boat in the 19ft-23ft range. I am a little concerned about comfort (for my wife as she does not fish). I was wondering if deck boats are a good choice. Do they have a low draft? Are they safe in the harbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,820,548 times
Welcome! As a recent transplant I've been asking lots of questions too. You found the best site (IMO) on the web for SW FL. Our neighbor has a deck boat. They don't go out when it's blowing hard. Charlotte Harbor gets quite nasty some days. He's told me some horror stories (myself, I'd welcome the terror) when the storms pop up on a summer afternoon with high winds and waves. Remember the harbor is fairly shallow and you'll get a tight chop when the winds howl.
There is a thread 'Fishing Charlotte Harbor' with pages and pages of responses. If you grab a cup of coffee, block out about 2 hours of your time and read from the start to the end, you will learn quite a lot (and about some of the characters here ).
Charlotte County Seawalls is an installer for Hi Tide lifts. I never used them yet but have spoken to them in person and over the phone. They are very informative! I've heard they are a bit pricey.
(8K+/- for a 10K lift installed on my pilings)
Again, welcome to SW FL!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
Welcome! As a recent transplant I've been asking lots of questions too. You found the best site (IMO) on the web for SW FL. Our neighbor has a deck boat. They don't go out when it's blowing hard. Charlotte Harbor gets quite nasty some days. He's told me some horror stories (myself, I'd welcome the terror) when the storms pop up on a summer afternoon with high winds and waves. Remember the harbor is fairly shallow and you'll get a tight chop when the winds howl.
There is a thread 'Fishing Charlotte Harbor' with pages and pages of responses. If you grab a cup of coffee, block out about 2 hours of your time and read from the start to the end, you will learn quite a lot (and about some of the characters here ).
Charlotte County Seawalls is an installer for Hi Tide lifts. I never used them yet but have spoken to them in person and over the phone. They are very informative! I've heard they are a bit pricey.
(8K+/- for a 10K lift installed on my pilings)
Again, welcome to SW FL!

Thanks for the info dafrogman. Especially, regarding that thread.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,007,650 times
I got an almost new 16,000 lb lift for $2,400 from a foreclosed home and it cost me $1,000 to have installed by Honc Dock & Seawall. Duncan is another decent co, and I've heard good things about Florida Marine Construction. Price will depend on the size lift needed.
Regarding boats, search the forums here. There are LOTS of discussions about boat types. And yes, there are a lot of deck boats out there. They are popular for people like you who want comfort and the flexibility to fish.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,376,196 times
I can't help you with boat questions but wanted to say welcome to the board and to beautiful SW Florida.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Thank you nphomeowner. Very neighborly of you.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
Welcome and congrats on your new home!

A great resource for fishing in the area is Fishin Franks in Charlotte Harbor. Check out their web site: Fishin' Frank's

It has information on tides, fishing rules, fishing reports, fishing tips, places to fish, tournaments, bait, fishing clubs, and more.

Enjoy the Florida lifestyle.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanls for the welcome TamRe. I have been to fishing franks and they did a great job setting me up with gear and giving me pointers on fishing the canals that has worked out. I am now going to try and graduate to owning a boat and fishing the harbor. This is where all the info is starting to make my head spin.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,007,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Thanls for the welcome TamRe. I have been to fishing franks and they did a great job setting me up with gear and giving me pointers on fishing the canals that has worked out. I am now going to try and graduate to owning a boat and fishing the harbor. This is where all the info is starting to make my head spin.
If you are new to boating, PLEASE take an instructional course. There are way too many people that move here and think there are no rules on the water. It makes it very dangerous for everyone. You will need to learn navigation rules and markers, no wake areas, how to plot a course, safety equipment requirements, etc, etc, etc...

Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes I do plan on taking courses Harbor Hopper. I'm not a risk taker by nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte