Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

188 posts, read 332,140 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

I've been scouring these forums learning everything I can while my husband spoke to the folks in charge of his company this weekend. Well, the feedback he got about this possible relocation to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda was pretty positive. Basically, his territory would be Sarasota to Fort Myers so this seems right smack down in the middle. They plan on speaking more next week.

We're "crunching numbers" right now and wondering about "other" costs. Obviously, I can look online and see what housing in the area runs. But what about other stuff - - gas, insurance, groceries, utilities etc. How can I guage what those bills might run per month? Above the US average? Below?

My gut is telling me we can do it. Then again, we'd hate to get there and realize we missed calculating something significant. And, in case you hadn't noticed yet, I OVERTHINK everything!

Your help is, as always, appreciated. By the way, thanks to all who have answered my questions thus far. Your information is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
The Florida Moving Guide has some information that may help you. It contains driver’s license and vehicle registration information, real estate taxes, schools, residency information, communities, weather and seasons, and a cost of living calculator. http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=40

Here is the contact information for Charlotte County

Florida Power and Light
Rates: http://www.fpl.com/customer/rates_and_bill/index.shtml
www.fpl.com
941-639-1106

Telephone, Cable, Internet
Century Link - 800-339-1811
Verizon - 800-483-4000
Comcast - 1-877-870-4310 - www.comcast.com

Charlotte County Utilities
941-764-4300
25550 Harbor View Rd, Unit 1
Port Charlotte, FL 33980
http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/CCU/

Vehicle Registration, Driver License
941-743-1350
18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte FL 33948
http://www.dmvflorida.org/charlotte.shtml

Voter Registration
18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948
941-743-1387
http://www.charlottevotes.com/

Garbage & Recycling
Charlotte County Solid Waste Department
941-764-4360
http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/PublicWorks/solidwaste/index.asp

Charlotte County Tax Collector
http://cctaxcol.com/

Newspaper
Charlotte Sun
http://www.yoursun.com

Last edited by TamRE; 03-28-2012 at 02:10 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM

OMG! That looks like EVERYTHING I could ever need to know all wrapped up in one tidy post. Thanks, TamRE!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
OMG! That looks like EVERYTHING I could ever need to know all wrapped up in one tidy post. Thanks, TamRE!
She's one of our most helpful posters here on CD!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM

378 posts, read 629,554 times
BH is right, is he ever wrong? Okay, don't answer that. Yep, Tam really works hard to give good info.
We arrived right after the State raised the price for registering cars...that was a shocker. It is a one off cost but not insignificant when toting up the cost of relocating.
We also found car insurance to be twice what we paid in VA. The other insurance issue is for houses. If you buy an older house it is often hard to get insurance and it can be expensive.
I hope you make it down here. It was a superb move for us and we love it here.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
BH is right, is he ever wrong? Okay, don't answer that. Yep, Tam really works hard to give good info.
We arrived right after the State raised the price for registering cars...that was a shocker. It is a one off cost but not insignificant when toting up the cost of relocating.
We also found car insurance to be twice what we paid in VA. The other insurance issue is for houses. If you buy an older house it is often hard to get insurance and it can be expensive.
I hope you make it down here. It was a superb move for us and we love it here.
How long have you lived there? What do you like most and least about the area?

It's looking like this transfer could really happen. Gosh, it's a long ways from home! What a big decision for this little family. I really appreciate all the input I'm getting on CD.

THANKS!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
Hi again,

I've been scouring these forums learning everything I can while my husband spoke to the folks in charge of his company this weekend. Well, the feedback he got about this possible relocation to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda was pretty positive. Basically, his territory would be Sarasota to Fort Myers so this seems right smack down in the middle. They plan on speaking more next week.

We're "crunching numbers" right now and wondering about "other" costs. Obviously, I can look online and see what housing in the area runs. But what about other stuff - - gas, insurance, groceries, utilities etc. How can I guage what those bills might run per month? Above the US average? Below?

My gut is telling me we can do it. Then again, we'd hate to get there and realize we missed calculating something significant. And, in case you hadn't noticed yet, I OVERTHINK everything!

Your help is, as always, appreciated. By the way, thanks to all who have answered my questions thus far. Your information is helpful.
Hi, welcome! My wife and I (along with our then-6 week old) made the 1,400 mile journey to SWFL about 2 1/2 yrs ago, after a year of heavy planning. Since moving here, probably my biggest complaint is the work ethic/laziness compared to where we're from. Everyone here complains about a "bad economy" and "there's no work". But when you call a company for a service of any kind, you're lucky to get 1 of 3 to actually show up! Just last week, I called 3 boat canvas shops to get quotes on a new cockpit cover. One came the next day, another never showed up at the appt time, and never called, and the other never even called back! I've had the same responses from numerous trades-type services. Also, restaurant service, for the most part, has been HORRID, and we are VERY easy to please people. Just do your job and you'll get a tip. Not here. All they care about is the money, no need to actually work for it.
Home insurance is ouf course much higher than MI quadruple), boat insurance is triple the cost, and auto insurance is double. On the other hand, there's no state income tax, so that definitely helps. Food is about 15% higher here, but others say its cheaper than where they're from. On the "brightside", there's over 300 days of sun per year and no snow, and we can't put a price tag on that

Old 03-29-2012, 12:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
I have to second HH on the work ethic of people here. It just doesn't seem to exisit. When you find one that HAS the work ethic put them on speed dial!

Homeowners insurance for us is cheaper, taxes are cheaper and car insurance is also less but we went from two cars to one.

The beaches are beautiful and I LOVE living here!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM

241 posts, read 480,153 times
Coming from outside Philly,Pa I have found the food prices higher. House taxes are about half or less, homeowners insurance higher. Gas is about the same. Electricity way cheaper.
We were just discussing how all the service people we have had to contact so far have been very helpful and giving us good advice. They all have told us watch out for this or that and if someone else tells you its this way or that way when it's really not that way. I think if you can get a recommendation from someone you trust, they will lead you to the right people to use. If a professional is telling you that this person is good, they don't want to have their rep messed up by telling you to use someone bad. Then its kind of like that six degrees of separation thing...my realtor recommended this inspector who recommended that contractor, who recommended this contractor, etc. All you have to do is be sure you trust the first one and then the rest SHOULD fall in place. I will say that with a caveat as it has worked so far that way for me. If I do see where I am coming up wrong on my theory I will be sure to let you all know!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Hi, welcome! My wife and I (along with our then-6 week old) made the 1,400 mile journey to SWFL about 2 1/2 yrs ago, after a year of heavy planning. Since moving here, probably my biggest complaint is the work ethic/laziness compared to where we're from. Everyone here complains about a "bad economy" and "there's no work". But when you call a company for a service of any kind, you're lucky to get 1 of 3 to actually show up! Just last week, I called 3 boat canvas shops to get quotes on a new cockpit cover. One came the next day, another never showed up at the appt time, and never called, and the other never even called back! I've had the same responses from numerous trades-type services. Also, restaurant service, for the most part, has been HORRID, and we are VERY easy to please people. Just do your job and you'll get a tip. Not here. All they care about is the money, no need to actually work for it.
Home insurance is ouf course much higher than MI quadruple), boat insurance is triple the cost, and auto insurance is double. On the other hand, there's no state income tax, so that definitely helps. Food is about 15% higher here, but others say its cheaper than where they're from. On the "brightside", there's over 300 days of sun per year and no snow, and we can't put a price tag on that
That's frustating for sure! I LOVE the idea of no snow and lots of sunshine. It's definitely the most appealing part of the move. Have you found the area to be pretty family-friendly for your little one? Are there some communities you think are better for raising little kids than others? I'd like to hear more about that if you have more insight after living there now for a couple years. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte