Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
okmy 2c worth. i have been involved in construction/property for 30+ years, seen it go up seen it go down....but long term the trend is always up.

so take a 44g propety. the bank will want you to put down at least 20 if not 25%. lets say 25 or $11k
leaves you 33 to finance, that will cost around $2-250 a month.
add on insurance (you as owner need to cover the home not contents ) and taxes
make a repairs allowance.
see what that comes to a year

Most property investors like to see 5-7% as a return so on 44k lets say $2650 per year PROFIT. if you can do that AND be sure if you dont rent it that you can cover the payments , then I would say do it.
the real money maker can be in the capital growth. one day that 44k house will be worth more ,maybe a lot more.

so providing the payments wont kill you if you have to make them for a few months I would say go for it....where else you gonna get a return on your money these days ???A

oh and if you dont -let me know , I always know people interested in buying ( and remember I asked first before Big House !!!) :-)
It's not who gives the first advice - it the 'best advice' that counts grasshopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Maybe I should just focus on paying my own house off in 15 years. We just refi'd for 30 at 3.75%.
I'll be 47 in September and something tells me we're going to be here for 15 years. I'm still not convinced this country isn't facing a complete economic collapse. This home is the only debt we have and that's a secure feeling*. Of course if there's a total financial meltdown, will my good credit even matter?

It is always good to have an optimistic, but cautious, outlook in any real estate market. The reasons for the collapse that caused this particular housing market are different than any other. People historically tend to get more optimistic approaching a presidential election period, no matter which party they want in the White House.

I'll go with the *secure feeling every time but that's just me; anything else in this current economy is a crap shoot. A good night's sleep trumps the unknown investment horizon every time unless you can afford the potential downside. No one knows the upside, ever, unless you've totally convinced yourself that there is only an upside and you can handle the stress of being a landlord.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
Personally given the current price of homes in Sw Florida. I wouldn't Hesitate to tap into my retirement plan to purchase real estate.

If I pulled 100k out of my retirement account and bought a house that I could rent out of 1200 a month. Right now, that 1200 is more than I make investing, with no appreciation on the house, I come out ahead.
Unfortunately, taking $100k out of a retirement acct will only NET you $70k after the 20% Federal tax and 10% early withdrawl penalty. That's $30k lost before you're even invested a dime of it. I would NOT recommend raiding a retirement acct, unless absolutely necessary to survive.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
It's not who gives the first advice - it the 'best advice' that counts grasshopper.
the best advice you give is 'drink more beer'

Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
the best advice you give is 'drink more beer'
Now THERE'S some advice we can all agree on. LOL

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Quote:
If I pulled 100k out of my retirement....Right now, that 1200 is more than I make investing
I wouldn't touch my 401k. My employer matches 25% weekly up to 6% of my gross...my elected fund was at 16% gains, YTD, until the latest slump. I'm still at 12% YTD. Can't get that anywhere, legal anyways, that I know of.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM

260 posts, read 563,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Unfortunately, taking $100k out of a retirement acct will only NET you $70k after the 20% Federal tax and 10% early withdrawl penalty. That's $30k lost before you're even invested a dime of it. I would NOT recommend raiding a retirement acct, unless absolutely necessary to survive.
Perhaps I am wrong about this, but I believe that you can use funds from a self directed retirement account to invest in RE without penalty. I'm not a realtor or financial advisor, so I may not be correct, but that's what I heard.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Perhaps I am wrong about this, but I believe that you can use funds from a self directed retirement account to invest in RE without penalty. I'm not a realtor or financial advisor, so I may not be correct, but that's what I heard.
Nope, not if it is a pre-tax retirement acct. The ONLY early withdrawl they allow without the 10% penalty is a "hardship" withdrawl, in which you have to prove that you have no income and absolutely no other assets remaining to cash out.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Most 401k plans will have some kind of loan provisions for defined hardship, like medical expenses or purchase of a primary residence. There's no penalty, but it has to be approved by the trustees, and paid back (to yourself, of course).

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
How to Use a Self-Directed IRA to Buy Real Estate | Fox Business

There are some creative methods, according to the above article, to use a Roth IRA or a self directed IRA. But that is a subject for a professional financial advisor who is very savvy on the risk.

Who could possibly be impulsive enough to risk their IRA in this economy? or even think about the risk. Why not just use the 60-day IRA replacement rule, take the money to Las Vegas and put it all on the crap table and let 'er roll. Makes about as much sense. If you win, you can put it back within 60 days. If you lose, er, uh, well you couldn't do that. I guess you could cry "wee, wee, wee" all the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte