Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:01 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times

Advertisements

I agree with the bilge pump theory. Sounds like the float switch is hanging up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
If the float switch is sticking and the pump is running dry, it won't take long and it will burn up. Inexpensive and easy to replace though. 20 min do-it-yourself job.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
If the float switch is sticking and the pump is running dry, it won't take long and it will burn up. Inexpensive and easy to replace though. 20 min do-it-yourself job.
The pump is not running I did check that. Plus I would be able to hear that.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Well I took my boat out today for about an hour and the good news is the sound was not present. The bad news is that when I tested my bilge pump it did not come on. Maybe the sound was my bilge pump dying. Oh well. Thanks for all the replys/

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
I like the sound of the braid singing in the wind. It reminds me I'm fishing!
The noise the poster describes sounds to me like a stuck or failing bilge pump motor. I've heard it from both my bilge and my bait well pumps. It's easy enough to diagnose further. Run a garden hose directly into the bilge and make it come on. Good way to test the float too. Sometimes this noise will be intermittent though, so be patient and trouble shoot some more until you can definitely rule it out. Let us know how it comes out.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I like the sound of the braid singing in the wind. It reminds me I'm fishing!
The noise the poster describes sounds to me like a stuck or failing bilge pump motor. I've heard it from both my bilge and my bait well pumps. It's easy enough to diagnose further. Run a garden hose directly into the bilge and make it come on. Good way to test the float too. Sometimes this noise will be intermittent though, so be patient and trouble shoot some more until you can definitely rule it out. Let us know how it comes out.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if the pump is fused or not so I will check that first. I just tested the pump yeterday and had it on for maybe 15 seconds and it so it seemed to nb operational. Maybe I burned it or perhaps blew a fuse with lack of water. So many things to learn. Haha.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
I installed a des indicator lifht to let me k kw the bildge pump is on either by the manuale switch of the float switch.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
I installed a des indicator lifht to let me k kw the bildge pump is on either by the manuale switch of the float switch.
What is a des indicator?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Run a garden hose directly into the bilge and make it come on. Good way to test the float too. Sometimes this noise will be intermittent though, so be patient and trouble shoot some more until you can definitely rule it out. Let us know how it comes out.
Actually MA, you don't need to fill with water to test the bilge pump or float switch. Just lift the float by finger. Pump should come on. If the float is inside a plastic housing (like mine), there is a pivot "axle" with wires coming out that you can turn that will raise the float for easy testing. I test mine about 1x per month just to make sure she's still operating.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
I like the idea of an indicator light. I once had a hose fail on a running bait well while underway. Once I stopped and shut down my engines to do some drift fishing, I heard my bilge dumping some water. Not entirely out of the ordinary. But when I heard it come on again a few minutes later (if even that long), I decided to investigate. That's when I saw the split hose. If I had an indicator light or high water alarm, I would have known about it even with the engine noise. It's on my list of things-to-do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte